125g Tank

so i've found a 125g tank for a pretty good deal and i'm wondering if its worth calling about. it used to be a reptile tank...are there any risks to converting a previously reptile tank into a fish tank?

imo its a lil high for what i would like to pay. i try to stay at $1 a gal, at the most $1.50 but thats like clean and fully loaded, stand and everything. a huge problem with reptile tanks is scratches. alot of times you cant notice them when there is water in the tank, but to me, the price is affected. also, alot of people use tanks for reptiles that cant hold water. make sure that its tested before you take it. inspect the seams and sealant too. hope this helps a lil

usually i go for the 1 to 1.5/g too but the only other 125g i've seen in this area are going for about 800 or so. which is totally crazy. the other thing is that i would have to build a hood for it and get filtration for it too...so its going to be pretty spendy in the end either way. i've heard about the scratches too so i'm going to call him and ask more about it...like what kind of animal was in there and if it holds water etc. anything else that i need to ask about besides water worthiness and scratches?

other then what we talked about, cant really think of anything else. i hear ya on prices though...people are really proud of their tanks lol. i got 55gal going for over $400 all the time, fresh water tanks, not just salt. big tanks are scarce and if they do come up for a decent price, gonzo real quick. hopefully you can square something away with him and get it for a good price. post what the outcome is when you can

I'm too late on this topic :P But just to let you know, I bought a 55 gallon that had been used as a reptile tank and it was fine...but yes, it has scratches.

That's a good deal you got on your 55 gallon though :)

Did it come with anything?

it came with literally nothing. i have the tank, a stand and a screen to keep a large iguana in. but for $60, how could i say no. i do have to redo some of the silicone seams but other than that the tank itself is sound. this one is going to be a project tank. i'm going to try to do everything DIY. i already have a DIY canister filter so a DIY hood wont be too hard (hopefully).

Cool :)

You did better than me, I paid $100 for my 55 gallon that also only came with a stand (that needed major work to be suitable). But I was in the same situation as you, tanks don't generally go cheap around here for some reason.

It sounds like you have a fun project on your hands!

That's a great price you paid! Good job! I find DIYs fun and satisfying. You get a great sense of accomplishment out of knowing you put the whole thing together yourself.

Here's a pretty decent canopy plan. DIY Canopy. Here is another one. DIY Canopy 2. If you make your own, make sure to take pics of the entire process and you can post it on the DIY forum. We love to see things like that and it could possibly help someone else too!

Also, you can choose to not have a canopy and just get a lighting system that stands up on the tank. In that case, a nice, inexpensive cover for the tank can be made by finding a hardware store that sells plexiglass and cuts it to your specifications. If you choose this route, have two pieces cut that are the length of the tank, but each a little less than half the width of the tank. Then you can attach a hinge to the two pieces so you can lift it for feeding. Of course, you don't really even need to attach a hinge at all.

i was actually thinking of buidling a stand for this tank to go in. the plan...(just in my head right now so bear with me.) i want to just have plexi glass on top and build my stand to completely surround my tank so it would be more along the lines of those tanks that are built into walls. the lights will be inside the stand shining down on top of the tank. i'll try and draw up some plans in the next day or two and post. this is going to take me a while to do. :P