Anic

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? - 0.25

Nitrite Level? - ?? No test

Nitrate level? - 160

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? - 8.0

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? - 7.4

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) - API and Red Sea, both drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? - 55gal, running 1 year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? - AquaTech, not sure (came with tank)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? - Every 3 weeks, roughly 90% each time and 25% every other weekend

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? - 3 - 8", and 2 5"

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? - Prime

[*]Any medications added to the tank? - No

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? - No

[*]What do you feed your fish?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - Bloody streaks in right front fin and tail

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? - No, but did flip upside-down when put in "transport bucket", stayed upright when held for a couple minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by Anic

I noticed today when I got home that Rowan's right front fin (can't remember what it's called) and tail have red streaks in them and that her fins looked a little ragged. I know that my nitrates are ridiculously high, but they shouldn't be because I JUST changed the water yesterday. She isn't acting any differently, she just looks awful and this is what Cracker (for those who remember her) looked like before she passed. I haven't changed anything with the tank other than redecorating with different plants that I already had.

The only wierd thing that she did was when I scooped her out of the tank and into the transport bucket, she flipped over on her back and stayed that way. When I flipped her upright agian, she rolled back over. So I held her upright for a couple minutes and when I let go she stayed that way. She didn't move much, so I got some pics.

I set up a 35 gallon Rubbermaid in the spare bedroom with an old filter. The GPH won't be good, so I'll change the water every day when I get off work. So she's in roughly 30 gallons, with Prime and some Melafix. I have some tabs of "Parasite clear" from Jungle Labs that has prazi in them that I'm contemplating adding to her tub.

I put her in the spare room because it's quiet, there's almost no traffic and it's a little warmer than the rest of the apartment and I thought that the slight warmth will help her heal. And it's the only room with any extra outlets.

When I get the pics uploaded onto Photobucket I'll post them.

Won't let me edit. Here they are:

100_2266.jpg

100_2268.jpg

Camera was upside down, so this pic looks funny

100_2273.jpg

100_2275.jpg

Missing scales

100_2276.jpg

Hospital set-up

100_2277.jpg

A little childish humor by me

100_2285.jpg

Well, you have acknowledged that you know the nitrates are outrageous! And regardless of whether they shouldn't be because you just did a water change, the fact remains, they are and that has to be fixed. And you have ammonia now, which means you had a crash, so you don't need to worry about ruining your cycle, so a 100% water change sounds like the only option. Maybe several 100% water changes until you get those nitrates down. That streaking is most assuredly from the bad water. You have 5 very large fish in a 55 gallon. That's really at an overstocked level, so your water changes need to be at like 70-80% weekly.

I can make my guesses, but I don't want to really say anything about the flipping as I'm just not experienced enough. I'll be waiting to see what a Mod says.

But, I would hold off on any meds until you hear from a Mod also.

With a low gph and a warm room, you're going to need a lot of extra bubblers.

Edited by lynda441

Here's the problem

Ammonia Level? - 0.25

Nitrite Level? - ?? No test

Nitrate level? - 160

Ph Level, - 8.0

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? - 7.4

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? - 55gal, running 1 year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? - AquaTech, not sure (came with tank)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? - Every 3 weeks, roughly 90% each time and 25% every other weekend

With such large fish your tank is overstretched and your water changes are far too infrequent. You need to be making very large weekly changes with perhaps a smaller one mid week. Let the nitrates decide - once they reach 20 change some water. If nitrates are 50ppm a 50% change will only get them to 25ppm so judge accordingly. I don't think your cycle as crashed as your PH still appears to be high (miraculously) - it is strange that with such high nitrate the tank PHis higher than the tap. Are you sure the drops are not out of date?

You do not need medicine for these fish. You need to completely change their water and vacuum the substrate thoroughly.

Can you confirm the brand of filter in your tank? I strongly suspect if it came with the tank it will only be tropical fish strength rather than being enough for goldfish. Another filter wouldprobably be a good addition to help with waste control.

PS Nitrates of 160 are insanely high and enough to flip a fish and cause red streaking.

You have 5 very large fish in a 55 gallon.

It's only 3 fish in the 55 and 2 in the 29.

With a low gph and a warm room, you're going to need a lot of extra bubblers.

I lowered the water level so that more oxygen can get in her water. After work I'm going to buy another airpump since both of mine are in use.

Can you confirm the brand of filter in your tank? I strongly suspect if it came with the tank it will only be tropical fish strength rather than being enough for goldfish. Another filter wouldprobably be a good addition to help with waste control.
I'm pretty sure it's AquaTech. I want and need to get them a stronger filter but I don't have the money for a new AquaClear. I've been watching craigslist and it's always tanks and accessories, never just a filter.
And you have ammonia now, which means you had a crash, so you don't need to worry about ruining your cycle, so a 100% water change sounds like the only option. Maybe several 100% water changes until you get those nitrates down. That streaking is most assuredly from the bad water. That's really at an overstocked level, so your water changes need to be at like 70-80% weekly.

We don't pay the water bill in our apartment, the landlord does. He's said something about it before and now that the lady next door has moved out it'll be more noticable. I'll try and do 50% before I leave for the dr's office and I'll do 100% after work.

I'm still going to leave Rowan by herself while her fins heal. Lloyd has been chasing her and I think he played a part in the torn fins.

I gotta say, if the landlord pays the water bill because the property isn't set up to have two seperate meters AND there's nothing in your lease that says something about limits to your water consumption, then I think he has no recourse to say anything about your water bill being higher than usual. Maybe you took extra showers or whatever...

GL with the water changes, that seems to be what you definitely need. If your nitrates got that high, you definitely need to do big changes and frequently. Also, you might have nitrItes going on too...which can be harmful...you should try to test for that.

I gotta say, if the landlord pays the water bill because the property isn't set up to have two seperate meters AND there's nothing in your lease that says something about limits to your water consumption, then I think he has no recourse to say anything about your water bill being higher than usual. Maybe you took extra showers or whatever...

GL with the water changes, that seems to be what you definitely need. If your nitrates got that high, you definitely need to do big changes and frequently. Also, you might have nitrItes going on too...which can be harmful...you should try to test for that.

I have to agree here. When my husband started freaking out about water changes, I figured out that our bathtub holds 45 gallons of water and they say you use more water in a shower than a bath. So, if you go by that, a 100% water change is really just an extra shower.

I absolutely agree. The landlord, regardless of whatever reason, regardless, has accepted the responsibility of paying the water bill and, yes, your lease is your legal regulator. So, unless your lease puts very specific restrictions on how much water you can use, he has no right to tell you how much you can use. That said, I understand making waves with a landlord and if they can't oust you on something that is illegal, they WILL find something legal to oust you on. If you're concerned about maintaining relations with your landlord, perhaps you can conserve water in other ways. Don't run a dishwasher if you have one. Save up your dishes and do them all at once in one sinkload of water. Stop taking daily showers. If you only cut out one shower a week, that would be enough for your water change. The options are standing up to your landlord, not showering for one particular day each week or your fish dying from toxic water conditions.

Ok. When I got home I did a 100% and then a 50% water change on the 55 (I don't have anything to put the fish in while the tank empties and fills) Then I checked the nitrAtes again and they were between 120 and 80, the shade of red was much lighter than yesterday, and ammonia went to 0.

Because I was curious, I checked the nitrAtes straight from the tap and it was a 10. Yuck.

In the morning before my eye doctor visit, I'll change the water again, check it and when I get home I'll change and check a second time.

I thought about it and since the neighbor lady just moved out, I can get away with much more frequent waterchanges so the bill he gets won't change much.

I also did a 100% change on Rowan's tub, and she seemed perkier. Fins still look awful, but I didn't expect overnight healing. I didn't add more Melafix, just gave her some bloodworms to make her feel good.

Save up your dishes and do them all at once in one sinkload of water. Stop taking daily showers. If you only cut out one shower a week, that would be enough for your water change.
We try to do dishes once a week, twice if we've had company. Since I work with food, I can't get away with skipping showers but Larry can (and does)

I will post both of my test results tomorrow. Thank you for the help everyone!

Edit- Lloyd is VERY upset with me for taking his girlfriend away. Every feeding time I get splashed!

Edited by Anic

Hmmm. I'm starting to wonder if your test kit is expired or unreliable.

Tell us which brand you are using for each test - you must get a nitrite tester, also.

Can you post your readings before the next change? That will help.

Also, are you vacuuming the substrate?

Nitrate and ammonia are API, yes I will post the reading and yes I vaccuum the gravel. The tank is draining right now, so I'll post back in a bit with the results.

My tests shouldn't have expired. They're only about 8 months old. Lemme check the package..... I can't find a date. Where would it be?

Of course it won't let me edit.

Can you post your readings before the next change? That will help.

Oh, before.. Crap

Ammonia is still 0 and nitrAtes are down to 10! Once upon a time I had a nitrIte test. I found the bottle and it had leaked, so it was full of powder. I'm going to check on Pet-Co's site to see how much it would be to order one. Or print off the page and go to the one in town. Ok, when Larry's show is over in 28 minutes we're going. It's not safe for me to go by myself especially since they usually get new fish shipments in on Wednesday.