Pestering Goldie

Guest BettaBlues

Guest BettaBlues

A friend of mine recently called me with a question, which I can't answer. He has two new goldfish, a little calico ryukin and a larger ryukin. He put them in together, and the larger one constantly chases the other around. He will stop for a few seconds and then begin chasing again. My friend doesn't know what to do about it, is the fish being aggressive or just friendly? He is getting annoyed about it, not being able to help the little one. What should he do?

It could be several things. It could be a "getting to know each other" period, it could be the difference in size, it could be that one is female and the other a male, it could be that the one is just simply a bully, it could be the environment, i.e., if the tank is too small for its inhabitants and/or that it wasn't cycled properly or properly treated, it could be that one or both of the fish is/are ill, etc.

How large is the tank? Was the tank cycled? Is the water treated with a dechlorinator/conditioner and was/is it temperature matched? Were the fish put in quarantine first and treated for for flukes? Does the one fish that is being chased look particularly fat? Are there any small white spots on the larger ryukin's gills and/or pectoral fins? Can you see any signs of illness on the bodies such as white spots or patches, red streaks or spots, frayed or ragged fins?

Guest BettaBlues

Thank you!

I am not sure about anything yet, waiting for a call back. I do think that the fish are in a bit of a small tank, only 10 gallons unless he got his 20 gallon. I will make sure.

I was thinking that it could be mating, but I left him a message and told him to call me back. I will see how they are doing now. I personally think that the fish are just getting to know each other, he just got them. I don't think they have ick because he has treated that before and would be able to recognize it. From what I hear they were both fine, one just seemed to be bullying the other. I will give him another call tomorrow, again thanks for everything!