Moss Balls

gunbunnyj

I just went to the local pet store abd found to my surprise that they had a tank of moss balls....so of course I had to get a couple. My question is that they have some little metal sinker attached by a piece of line to the ball. Is this safe to put in my aquarium or do I need to remove it?

Guest Sly C. Pea
I just went to the local pet store abd found to my surprise that they had a tank of moss balls....so of course I had to get a couple. My question is that they have some little metal sinker attached by a piece of line to the ball. Is this safe to put in my aquarium or do I need to remove it?

I would remove it. I did not have any weights on mine. Just hold them under the water and give them a squeeze and they should sink.

• 1 month later...

Out of interest, how do people find moss balls work out with their goldfish? I have bought a few to liven up the pebbles in my tank but I'm unsure how well they'll last with my greedy fish...I'm pretty sure Stephen could fit a whole one in his mouth :-/

The goldies left them alone for about 5 minutes. They ripped them completely apart within a week. They didn't even eat them. Just tore them up for fun. Unless you find them someplace for cheap and want to experiment I wouldn't recommend them.

I have them in my tank and mine lave them alone, surprisingly, since they eat everything else! Some fish will, some wont, give them a try if they arent too expensive around you.

Well, they're only a fiver for five balls so I reckon I'll give them a go. The fish seem to have stopped taking part the plants so much these days, I think the novelty has worn off, so we'll see...

Thats good. Im thinking of ordering some more, there is an offer on ebay for 5 for ?5.5o with free P&P. Good luck with yours, hope they dont tear them up.

Thats good. Im thinking of ordering some more, there is an offer on ebay for 5 for ?5.5o with free P&P. Good luck with yours, hope they dont tear them up.

That's who I got mine from! Not bad too, one of them was pretty big - about 2 1/2 " which is way more than I was expecting for the price. The rest were around 1 1/2", and nice and dense. So far the fish have ignored them, they've collected in the corner like green tribbles ;D I like them, I think I'll get another batch after payday.

Franky, they're for decoration - but like any plant there's a risk they'll be gone by morning with goldfish..!

Yours came quite quick then Squeaky, Ill have to order them next week when I get paid. lol. Good sizes too. My 2 are in the corner behind the plants, Hopefully with more they wont get stuck all in one place.

That's who I got mine from! Not bad too, one of them was pretty big - about 2 1/2 " which is way more than I was expecting for the price. The rest were around 1 1/2", and nice and dense. So far the fish have ignored them, they've collected in the corner like green tribbles ;D I like them, I think I'll get another batch after payday.

Franky, they're for decoration - but like any plant there's a risk they'll be gone by morning with goldfish..!

oh thanks i was a little confused.lol