Deja Vu All Over Again

lantern567

Well, I finally did get the frog out of the 40-gallon and into the pond. And the other goldie fry were in the 20-gallon tank, growing about an inch a day. A friend came over and was looking at the fry, and the other tank, and asked what kind of fish were in the 40-gallon. (I hadn't cleaned it up yet, water still in, filter still running.) I was confused, saying that I had the fry in the 20-gallon, and the frog was outside, and the tank was empty.......... oh no....... Ahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes

Two teeny weeny fry, swimming about the 40-gallon......

A few days before I had put some water lettuce into the frog tank, because he needed things to sit on as he got legs and lost his tail. I was probably bad, I didn't potassium permanganate the plants, because they came from (I hope) my healthy pond and the frog would be in there in a few days anyway. But of course you know what hitch-hiked along - goldfish eggs!

At this point, every time I get a glassful of water, I expect to see fry swimming in it.

Mean time, my friends did not get to see how friendly my pond fish were, because they must have been eating fry for days and were so heavy they sunk to the bottom of the pond and wouldn't come up.

I suppose many of you are saying, "Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt" and are laughing at me. Well, it has been kind of a trip around here, with all of these fish happenings. :lol1 Yes, I did expect some work to keep goldfish properly, but I never expected this!

It seems years and years since you arrived at kokos and were asking "what to do" questions lantern! Yet it cant have been that long..Now here you are with a pond full of fish life and fry in every water container in your house :rofl Its just wonderful to see how great you have done and how happy your fish are. Sunk to the bottom- I had such a funny image of that, brilliant :D

Thanks, Trinket, I have to admit I find myself laughing over all this and being happy that the fish seem to be enjoying themselves. In the beginning (last December,) I can't believe all the problems you got me through. Recently, though, it has seemed like there have been no problems - and I'm sure that, too, is not the usual state of things. I need to pay attention and keep learning, and I try to read as many of the disease posts as I have time for, in case I ever see anything similar with my fish. People here that I've come to know as really experienced have shown that it's a dangerous world in that fish tank, and things can happen. Also, I need to get going and learn more about winterizing the pond, and I do know that spring thaws could bring some sadness.

My big fish in the pond are such sweethearts, they come and eat out of my hand. A friend who came by and fed them (well, when they weren't weighted down like yesterday) was just mesmerized with how personable and lovely they are. I am also sad about the fry - I can't save every one of them. The ones in the tank are now begging for food, and I know I could have them eating out of my hand, too. They will have to go into the pond and take their chances with the rest.

I have, by the way, finally learned to catch fish in an aquarium with a measuring cup - that's something you told me about. Also, we can sort of put our hands around the fish in the pond, too, when they are swarming and getting fed, and my husband thinks he could pick one up by hand. But I know better. They are cagey little fish, slippery and fast! :)