What Are They?

scaring

Hi,

I stopped by "Where the pets go" today and bought a selection of what they call "assorted" plants. Can someone tell me what plants came with my snails? I'd like to know how big they get and any other info like how much gf's love them. I would also like to know if anyone has ever heard of the alum treatment for snails. I think it was 1 tsp per gallon, but I can't remember and was it 1 minute or 10? hmmm

100_3031.jpg

There are 5 different plants in there. The only one I know is the anubias in the pot. Here is another pic of the other side and closer up.

100_3032.jpg

Thanx

The grassy looking stuff looks like ophiopogon pusillus.

Bananna plants need a good light source to thrive. Other than that...if your goldies were small they might not eat them, but bigger goldies probably will. Mine started with the long skinny stems, then once they detached all the leaves they continued to nibble on everything till one day the whole plant was gone. I have had good luck with them in goldfish fry and adloescent tanks, and in my tropical tanks.

Guest Danicole

There is definitely a java fern and a banana plant, and the one in the pot looks like an anubias. I don't know about the stem, but it looks like a hygrophyllia species. The grassy one does look a lot like mondo grass though. And if it is, it's not an aquatic plant. http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-220.htm Does it look like that one?

edit: Doh! Going back to look I even saw the sign in the anubias in the second pic saying what it was :P Anyway, just making sure you know now(lol) when you put the java fern and the anubias in your tank, make sure the rhyzome(the lumpy part where the leaves meet the roots) is not under any substrate. Otherwise it will rot and kill the plant. That's really the only requirement either of those two have. A lot of people tie them to wood or rocks to grow them.

Edited by Danicole

There is definitely a java fern and a banana plant, and the one in the pot looks like an anubias. I don't know about the stem, but it looks like a hygrophyllia species. The grassy one does look a lot like mondo grass though. And if it is, it's not an aquatic plant. http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-220.htm Does it look like that one?

edit: Doh! Going back to look I even saw the sign in the anubias in the second pic saying what it was :P Anyway, just making sure you know now(lol) when you put the java fern and the anubias in your tank, make sure the rhyzome(the lumpy part where the leaves meet the roots) is not under any substrate. Otherwise it will rot and kill the plant. That's really the only requirement either of those two have. A lot of people tie them to wood or rocks to grow them.

Yeppers, it's mondo. I was hoping for dwarf grass. I'll keep looking for some that is cheap. Good thing I only bought 3 @ $1 each. :D How does Mondo grass survive? Do you know? I'm thinking of getting a fry tank (plastic enclosed) and planting it in there so the leaves can hang in the water for him to nibble on if it's not poisonous to him to eat.

I also bought a moss ball. I went back. ::tee hee:: My MIL gave me $20 for taking care of BabyCakes for her. :) I know GF ignore them, and it looks like a tether ball hanging with that weight. I think Elvis will enjoy "playing ball" with it. He's bored silly in that 12g. It's 100% empty of everything but water and the bio wheel. (Bad bacterial infection from flukes. After 10 years, I never knew. ::shrugging:: ) I'll Prazi it before adding, but don't care about the snails in there.

Thanks for helping me.

A couple of more questions, if you don't mind.

Is this okay?

I am feeding the plants a drop of Superthrive each day and a couple of pieces of Jungle antibacterial gf food while they are in the QT/dip tank. Superthrive is a vitamin additive for gardens and plants. It says, "Dissolved solids, 25% of weight. Contains: .09% Vit. B-1; .048% 1-Naphthyl acetic acid. Non-Fertilizer, non pesticide, non polluting. biousables. add to fertilizing for growing. vitamins and hormones for plants.

I'm hoping the anti bacterial ingredient will work on the plants. I don't have any PP.

Right now they are in dechlored water, with 1st heavy dose of prazi (1/4 tsp in 1 gal). Snails are getting prazi'd too. :) After 2nd prazi dose, I'll hand pick as many off as possible and put them in with Elvis to play with or eat, whatever cooks his cookie, in the 12g. I can Alum the tank after he moves into th 29. Just starting a fishless cycle so will be a little while. Then after the second prazi dose I plan on alumming the dip tank (1g corner w/stone) and get the snails and snail eggs out of the plants. I'll pull the mondo grass since it won't be planted. I guess I'll look it up and maybe plant it out in the front yard or something if it won't work in the fry tank.

Will the antibacterial fish food work in the qt tank? What other options, besides pp or bleach, do I have to disinfect for bacteria?/parasite?