Aeration For Fish Shed.

Hello!

Most of you know that over the past 6/8 months I have been setting up a shed dedicated to my Goldies. I currently have 4 large tanks in the shed all with individual air pumps. Some of the tanks even have 2 pumps.

Recently I was in my favourite LFS (the one that I would trust to give me the best advice), looking for a new air pump for my 135gal. The assistant recommended a large air pump that would be powerful enough to aerate all my tanks.

Basically the pump is connected to a series of tubes that run around the room, the air line is then connected into the main tubes and into the tank.

I like the idea of having one main devise instead for 6 separate ones, the saving on watts would be really good at the moment. However I was wondering what you all thought of the idea?

I know the initial outlay will be a little costly, but I think in the long run it may pay off, plus I hate all the cables that trail from the individual pumps.

However I have 3 different Goldie tanks and one tropical, would there be problems having these different types connected in this way?

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

This is a standard thing to do.... and common in just about any situation where you have multiple tanks. Jehmco, in the States, is the best internet supplier of pumps. The air pump will cost a fair amount - but when you add up what it would cost to buy the individual pumps for so many tanks/tubs, it actually costs less.

The most important thing to do is not to skimp. If you buy one main air pump - and it fails you have no air. For this reason, I avoid the diaphramatic pumps. Their failure rates are too high. They may be cheap - but they do not last long. A good Luft or some such is really a good choice.

Places like Jehmco also sell small metal valves - with a nice tapping end. You can screw these into pieces of 1/2 or 3/4 (or 1 inch if you are REALLY doing a big pump and loads of tanks), pvc pipe. The pvc can be run easily - supported on the walls up behind the tanks with individual taps coming down to each tank. The valve allows you to adjust what you want for each tank.

Yes - this is ideal. The main thing is to carefully select your pump. Do some reading...... it will pay off in the future.

:)

Hi daryl, thank you for the advice. The one that they sell at my LFS is a piston driven pump (I think).

The shop assistant is one that I have dealt with on lots of occasions, he took me to see the one that they have set up, it's used on a larg 4000gal koi pond.

I really think that I should set this type of areation up, I think in the long run it will be worth while. But are there any problems having different types of tanks connected?

Piston is world's better than diaphram. :)

As far as connection, no - there are no real problems. Of course you will have higher pressure closer to the pump than down the line..... but the valves will help regulate that - so there are no real problems. I also like to line up the "smaller" or shallower tubs/tanks at the "end" of the line - and the deeper or larger ones at the begining. It just works a bit better... but it is not really a requirement.

I lke the metal tapping valves that you can simply drill a small starter hole in the PVC and then self-tap the valve in. They are quick, easy, and seal very well.

")

The most important thing to do is not to skimp. If you buy one main air pump - and it fails you have no air. For this reason, I avoid the diaphramatic pumps. Their failure rates are too high. They may be cheap - but they do not last long. A good Luft or some such is really a good choice.

:exactly I have gone through more air pumps! And NEW ones too! where the danged rubber tore and phfft!, no good! I just want to scream sometimes! So, yeah, I think this sounds like a fabulous idea, so streamlined, as long as you have a trustworthy pump.