Why Do You Do It?

Guest amesters

Guest amesters

I won't lie...I'm absolutely bored. I've fed them, tested the water, stirred up the debre and did my water changes....now they're happy as can be. But I'm still bored!!

SO...Since I love reading all your posts so much and learning as much as I can about this new hobby I've taken up- I'd love to hear more about why all of you enjoy fishkeeping as much as I do! Or even how you got into the hobby? What gave you the idea? What was your first fish?!

I got the idea one night I was sitting at my friends house. She had to take a shower so I was left sitting by myself in her living room....with her fishtank. I starred at that tank the duration of her shower (shes an hour shower kinda gal) and I actually fell asleep from the sound of the trickling water. When she came out of the shower she kept apologizing thinking I'd fell asleep from boredom, but I'd fallen asleep because the fishtank calmed me down so much!! It was awesome!

Soon after I went out and bought a fishtank of my own. A few days later I went to the pet store in search of my first fish. I was instantly drawn to the cute chubby baby goldies!! A little spotted telescope caught my eye first and kept swimming right infront of me...my Toki :rolleyes::heart

After 2 weeks of having Toki I bought Pooki to be his companion. And now we're one big happy family!!!

Since then I've also purchased a 3 gallon tank and plopped a betta in it!

I come home from work and I diligently care for them, followed by starring at them for a good while. They relax me. I love it!

I'm officially a fish nerd. :D I'm really happy to be apart of this hobby, it's really rewarding!

LOL That's an awesome story! :D

I guess I like keeping fish because I've always been kind of fascinated with swimming and being underwater and watching the way some animals can swim so easily through water without having to take breaths frequently (or in the case of fish, not at all!). I really enjoy watching my fish, and I wish I had a comfortable spot to do so from (there's no cushy couch or chair close by the tanks).

When I was younger, I had 2 failed encounters with fish before I found this site and got serious about keeping my fish alive! I had a really small (and probably really sickly) goldfish [in a bowl, YES, I was bad!], and Sunny only stayed with me about 10 days. Then after a couple years I got a betta from my sister (who thought I'd take better care of it) and YES he was in a vase. :( That poor maroon fish only lasted a couple weeks, too.

So then after I found Koko's, I kept two fantail goldies for awhile, and then when they unfortunately passed away, I went to keeping tropical fish! :)

I've been a quite enthused fish keeper ever since! I've found that while goldfish were fun, I really prefer the lowered maitenence and greater flexibility (and variety!) of trops. I now have 2 (LOL it was a really big step for me, going from one tank to two!) tanks, a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon. Not a whole lot compared to some of the people on this board, but it keeps me busy and satisfied.

And BTW, I agree with the trickling of filters being very relaxing. When I sleep in the basement occasionally (I have my tanks in our finished basement), I really enjoy listening to the water.

Edited by Petperson04

I've only ever kept goldfish. I've chosen goldfish over other fish because of their cute faces and the playfulness that doesn't seem to exist in other types of fish, at least to the extent of goldfish. I've also chosen to keep goldfish because they are a very difficult fish and not the easy fish to keep that the world seems to think. They are difficult and they are a challenge and I like challenging myself and I like being able to help educate others new to the hobby.

I like being able to help educate others new to the hobby.

:exactly I really like the community and knowledge-sharing that goes on at this message board!

Good topic, amesters, by the way!

Edited by Petperson04

i'm so with you! i'm now a hopeless goldfish addict. God forbid something happen to my goldies, but even if it did, i'd have no choice but to make new goldfish friends. i'm a pretty high-energy kid, but they're soooo peaceful. i just look at my goldfish and i slow down ten or twenty miles and hour right there. i love having them around.

that said, it actually had nothing to do with why i bought my fish! i go to KU (National Champions! Woot woot!) and live in one of the dorms there. my suitemates had been talking since the week we moved in about getting fish for our room, but had never done it. finally, on february 11, 2008, (a day i'll remember for a very long time) i was so annoyed by their talking about it that i went out and bought four little goldfish just to shut them up. i chose the black moors because they seemed the most attractive of the cheeper fish at wallyworld, and also because it was impossible to tell one from the other. my thought was that i would buy four identical looking fish so that i couldn't name them and become attached to them. that way, when two were dead in the morning, i wouldn't feel bad about it. in retrospect, i'm so glad i bought the fish i did. they all have such great, individual personalities, and i've fallen for every one of them. but, on the flip side, i could have made my life a lot easier by buying fish i could tell apart. i spent the first four months i owned them just trying to tell who was who!

so, that's both why i got them and why i like them so much. i know you ment them to be a single question, but for me, the one question won you two answers. :D have a great evening! hope that helps with the boredom a little!

Guest amesters

:krazy:

Sweet! Goldfish and betta's, in my opinion, have the most personality out of all the fishes I've known! I've just discovered fingertip feeding my betta...he's quick to grap whatever goodies my finger holds. Sometimes I make him jump for them ;)

Right now I'm searching for some nice looking marbles to put on my newly-barebottomed gf tank floor. I've noticed how they like to scoot things around the tank, figured they enjoy rolling around some marbles! I was literally shocked the other day when nnnnnn didnt have ANY marbles...ANYWHERE! Only the decorative flat ones...which i already have plenty of.

i got interested in goldfish after i caught a couple at a fair..and i had no idea what i was doing. i stumbled upon koko's website...and after seeing all you wonderful goldfish loving people, i began to love goldfish even more myself.

my two goldfish died unfortunately since i was ignorant to the whole cycling ordeal..

but i quickly learned and got my black moor ninja...

most of the reason i started to take it seriously was because i wanted something nice and peaceful in my room to cheer me up..and what better to cheer you up than a happy playful goldfish!?!

the other reason was to show my parents i can be responsible and take care of an animal by myself (and though they may not realize exactly what 'cycling a tank' and keeping it in balance/clean/healthy fish requires...even if they dont realize it, i've still proven to myself that i can be responsible, and that makes me feel really good :D )

i haven't gotten as far as most of the people here on koko's; however, i'm hoping one day i can be as knowledgeable and have as many fish as all of you. this site here is my inspiration to keep fish keeping as a hobby. specifically goldfish keeping!

and now i'm hoping to move on to more challenges..bigger tanks, more fish, saltwater, etc.

wish me luck!

Guest amesters

good luck, justkeepswimming! hah! your usernames a nice motto for that too!

I cannot wait until I get my bigger tank, I should be moving by the end of the year, giving me enough space for something around the size of a 50 gal!! THAT MEANS I CAN GET ANOTHER GF!!

My mom used to have a tropical tank in our living room when I was REALLY young. I asked her about cycling and she had NO IDEA what I was talking about!! :blink: I guess she never had any problems...?? She said she didn't at least.

Great stress reliever and it is one of the few things I do well. Since I can't afford real art it is like having art in water.

But what started it was living in an apartment that did not allow pets but fish were ok.

A couple years ago my boyfriend and I took up fishing at a nearby lake. I wanted to catch and release but he wanted to keep everything we caught. I felt bad about so many fish dying so I asked him if I could keep goldfish at his house so there would be some fish that were alive! He said ok so I bought 2 little baby common feeders and put them in bowls--oops. Then I found goldfish info online and realized they needed a tank but I only got a 10 gal so still not big enough. And my bf said the one tank was fine but he didn't want his house to start looking like a pet store! Well, then I came across koko's and had to have a bigger tank, right??? My sis said she had a 20 gal I could have for free with stand included--what could my bf say?

Fast forward to the present--I have 5 tanks with 3 gf, 2 bettas and a bunch of tropicals, all at the bf's house!!!! At least he really does like the fish and has accepted his fate, even telling me to get more tanks if I want. :P

My favorite part of fishkeeping is watching them grow. Lloyd, my biggest Comet, is 4 (almost 5) years old. He was a tiny little feeder that 'magically' showed up in my 10gal along with 10 others (dad bought them and they were there when I got home). They got big, then I moved them to my 29gal. Then we temporarily had a 130gal that I put them in. Mom sold the 130 and I only had space to keep one... But the man who bought the tank knew that the goldies were with it and he said he had a pond in his garden (again this all happened when I was at school)

Between then and now I've had Cracker, Raven and Tye.

I love to see them grow and watch how they change (for some reason, all the goldies in the 55 turned white O_o) Not a fan of waterchanges, but they are nessicary :D

My love for goldfish started as a kid by watching Tom and Jerry...yup the animated series...there were a few episodes where Tom tries to eat a goldfish in a bowl and Jerry rescues the lil guy...I was so fascinated by the cute goldfish..I always wanted one...of course I never had the privilege to do that in India..but when I landed in US for my further studies..I always had that on the back of my mind...In 2006 I got my first goldfish, Bubbles..of course I stuck her in a bowl and she passed away after a year...and I was really heart broken...thats when I decided that I owed it to my Bubbles..I will definitely get another goldfish and in the loving memory of my fish, I will make it a point to give the new guy a big tank, all the care and research he deserves...And I got my red cap oranda, Sunshine...yayyyy..Oh then I also got a choclate oranda, Chikoo...had a 5 gallon tank..stuck a beta, Frosty..and ever since I read the info on Koko's site I love doing everything for my babies..I love doing the water changes..the water maintenance..I love when they look at me like babies...they eat like pigs...and it gives me immense pleasure when their piggy faces and eyes beg for food (ALL the TIME:))..they wait for me when I enter the room...they peck at my hands..they let me pet them...they swim like there is not tomorrow..oh..they are the most beautiful babies in my life...I really feel very ahppy and contented caring for them and loving them.. :)

My favorite part of fishkeeping is watching them grow.

Oh, yes, I love that part of fish-keeping too! Watching the fish go from puny and skinny to plump and large is so neat! :D

I love my goldies! Watching them can be so relaxing (when I can stop myself from seeing something that needs cleaning or re-arranging!!

But (And this might seem weird to some) I really enjoy my weekly cleaning routine!! I think, no I am sure, it actually relaxes me!!

Guest amesters
.....And my bf said the one tank was fine but he didn't want his house to start looking like a pet store! Well, then I came across koko's and had to have a bigger tank, right??? My sis said she had a 20 gal I could have for free with stand included--what could my bf say?

Fast forward to the present--I have 5 tanks with 3 gf, 2 bettas and a bunch of tropicals, all at the bf's house!!!! At least he really does like the fish and has accepted his fate, even telling me to get more tanks if I want. :P

Thats awesome! My ex-bf actually got a betta for himself after seeing my fishies! Now all i need is a NEW bf with a big house for all my future tanks!!! :yeah: Ah...that would be nice. Lucky gal!

I love my goldies! Watching them can be so relaxing (when I can stop myself from seeing something that needs cleaning or re-arranging!!

But (And this might seem weird to some) I really enjoy my weekly cleaning routine!! I think, no I am sure, it actually relaxes me!!

I'm the exact same way about cleaning! I love putting my hands in the water, I find it hard not to clean or rearrange anything everyday. I've done good today so far though! I just got home from work and all I did was watch them for afew minutes....I did have the urge though.

and when they come by and nibble your hand...so cute :heart

I love doing the water changes...the water maintenance...

I have to say that water changes aren't my favorite, but it's the getting me off my big backside to do it is the hardest part... once I'm doing it, it's like, yeah, just get it done, but do it right. But, what I do love about the water changes is that these crazy little aquapuppies are sooooo dang inquisitive, they get right in the middle of everything. They have to be right in the middle of whatever is going on in the tank. I actually sucked little Peaches up in the siphon tube the first time I changed her water! lol! :oops: I mean, it was one of those split second things... I see this schloop of orange going up the tube and so I just immediately pulled the vacuum out enough to stop the suction and she dropped back in... she wouldn't have gone all the way through anyway because of the smaller hole and protective mesh where the tubing connects, but, point is, they just have to get right in the middle of things... and, I just finished my water change on my main tank just now and I had my hand in the tank fixing the filter and I felt Jackson there constantly nibbling on my hand and fingers. It's just tickles so cute it makes me giggle! :teehee :

Good topics amesters!!! :)

Wow, there are so many things that I am loving about keeping goldfish. First, I just love animals. I love all kinds of animals and if I had the money and space and time I think I would want at least one of everything! lol

Second, keeping goldfish is very calming I am finding.. I get stressed out sooo easily, and when I do, I find it hard to make my brain "shut up". I don't know why, but if I have a problem I just keep analyzing it over and over and over and it just drives me insane. That leads to trouble sleeping and I am just a big mess. I've noticed that since I have been "into" keeping goldfish the right way, I've been calmer and relaxed, although the actual stressors in my life are at their peak right now!!! My mind calms when I am doing things that are technical and calculated which is exactly what water changes, water testing, things like that do. It sounds a bit dramatic but up until recently I felt like I didn't really have a hobby or interest that was about ME. When I was younger I loved pets, music, art, and as I got older I feel like a I lost a lot of that.. For whatever reason, the goldy hobby really suits me and it feels good to have something that is about ME! I love coming to this board and discussing things with everyone. I love making friends on here with such great people. I love having people to talk to that are in a lot of ways the perfect friends because you can laugh, joke, cry and talk to them, but they aren't part of real life so all the stress that comes along with real relationships is eliminated LOL But in a lot of ways the relationships on here feel more genuine. Does that make sense?

Third.. THEY ARE SO CUTE!!! I mean.. those FACES. I can't get over it. They are the sweetest little creatures. I had NO idea how CUTE fish could be.. I am absolutely in love with one of my newest fish Malibu!!! She started out as kind of an "extra" because she got along with Kahlua so well, so I took them both. Malibu is turning out to be my best little buddy.. She comes up to the glass, nibbles on my fingers, eats directly from my hand, when I move her to a bucket she swims up and calmly rests on my hand, then lets me move her without any resistence. Someone treated her REALLY good before I got her. It's so sweet. It's an amazing feeling having this little creature trust you..

Fourth! (You did say you wanted a novel with different chapters right?! lol).. I feel like I am good at it. I am a mom to an 8 year old little girl. And don't take this the wrong way because I love her more than life. I am just not GOOD at being a mom. I'm not like a BAD mom or anything, but it doesn't fit my personality. I watch the other moms and they LOVE gathering at bus stops to talk about their children. A lot of women I see give up all of their own interests and the children seem to be the ONLY thing they talk about.. My best friend has two children and although we used to have so much in common, as soon as she became a mom she lost every aspect of her personality.. If I even say something like "have you seen that new movie", the converstation immediatly turns to. "well no we don't watch movies like THAT anymore now that we have the girls". It drives me nuts!! I love my daughter. She's a SWEETHEART, but although she means everything to me, she's not the ONLY aspect of my life. I've always felt inferior to the other mothers because I am not only about the kids. On the other hand, keeping pets I feel I am good at, and when you feel positive about something you are doing, it makes you feel good in general!

Okay that was the introduction. Now I will get working on the whole book : )

Guest amesters

CountryLuvah- :exactly I have the same problem with my brain! hah...it NEVER stops!!! And when you're trying to sleep- thinking gets pretty annoying. Having my fish has helped me sort through alot of the ridiculous drama I've been having to deal with lately. I'm just getting out of a 4 year relationship with a guy I've known since grade school. It's terribly stressful...even to the point of making me physically sick. But about 2 months ago when I got my two chubby little telescopes- everything seemed to get alittle easier. I could finally release my frustration into something really positive.

I'm not a mom myself...but I know...I KNOW that I would be a 'bad' mommy. Mainly because I can barely take care of myself let alone a little person! When my brother had his son he changed too....not so much, cus really- I'd like to see ANYONE or ANYTHING who can change a man!!!- but anywho he would say things like "OH you don't know what it's like to have a child til you have one!!"...I don't know why but that made me furious.

If you guys like cute stuff- I hope you all know of cuteoverload.com! It used to be a daily obsession of mine- before I got my gf and found Koko's!! :)

I also enjoy watching them grow.

I am in the same boat as Hidr.. It is like living art that you can watch and enjoy.

It doesn't/can't run away so you can sit there and just watch. Like television!

I am just not GOOD at being a mom. I'm not like a BAD mom or anything, but it doesn't fit my personality. I watch the other moms and they LOVE gathering at bus stops to talk about their children. A lot of women I see give up all of their own interests and the children seem to be the ONLY thing they talk about.. My best friend has two children and although we used to have so much in common, as soon as she became a mom she lost every aspect of her personality.. If I even say something like "have you seen that new movie", the converstation immediatly turns to. "well no we don't watch movies like THAT anymore now that we have the girls". It drives me nuts. On the other hand, keeping pets I feel I am good at, and when you feel positive about something you are doing, it makes you feel good in general!

This, really could have been something I would have said! I totally and completely agree with you! I feel I am a better pet Mom than a real Mom too..And I adore my kids more than anything in the world but I still feel inferior to the bake a cake a day- praise your kid every sentence- wash, iron fold, fresh flowers and a sweet smile- kind of Mom (How many of them know how to keep fish :pp )

I've always kept aquariums (since I was 7 years old!) and though I had goldies as a little kid, I've only been keeping them again for about the past 5 years. I think the #1 reason I love them is.....them :heart . I love their personalities and their little faces, I love that they grow so big and beautiful, that they're peaceful (usually :P ) and all the different varaties they come in.

Aside from that, I also enjoy the challange of keeping them and the satisfaction that comes from keeping a happy, healthy tank. I really struggled with water quality, etc for a couple of years and the more I learned and improved my tanks, the more excited I was about keeping them. All my other aquariums (turtle, tropical fish, newts, frog) require very little attention or maintence, I think the time I have to spend with my goldie tank makes me appreciate it that much more. I know my goldies as well as I know my dog or cat :)

I feel the same way. it is so relaxing to clean out the tank. And they are so curious, I always have to push one of them aside so I can safely use the gravelvac and Fred and Gigi always try to eat my fingers (it tickels :D ). My dad is still surprised that I've been taking care so well, when I was little we had Guinea pigs and I didn't always clean out there home as I should have done, he somehow didn't notice that I've become 10-15 years older :blink: .

I really love the fact that they 'look back' at you, and they all have different personaleties :heart

And I adore my kids more than anything in the world but I still feel inferior to the bake a cake a day- praise your kid every sentence- wash, iron fold, fresh flowers and a sweet smile- kind of Mom (How many of them know how to keep fish :pp )

OHHH I hate it!!!!!!! My friend I was talking about it just SOOOO perfect. She literally joined the "mom's club". She's always baking fresh batches of cookies with the girls, and doing all the things you would see on tv.. One time she left a message on my answering machine and she seriously (not a joke) was describing her daughter's diarrhea. "Well she had her first diarrhea this morning at 8 am. The first one's color was...". I swear I am not exaggerating.. Shane was seriously like "WHAT?!?!?!?!".. The kids have a perfect dinner every single nite, perfect schedule, everything perfect perfect perfect. I feel like such a bad parent!

All of the women in my family are like that.. I don't fit in at ALL!!! My cousin just had a baby. She does not put the baby down for even a second! I just can't take it!!! Then there's me "hey Taylor, wanna stay up late playing video games with mom?" "SURE!" "Great, let's order some cheese fries!!"... It's SUMMER!!!!!

Aside from that, I also enjoy the challange of keeping them and the satisfaction that comes from keeping a happy, healthy tank. I really struggled with water quality, etc for a couple of years and the more I learned and improved my tanks, the more excited I was about keeping them.

I totally agree!! The more I learn the more interested I am, then the more I keep reading.. I LOVE it...

And they are so curious, I always have to push one of them aside so I can safely use the gravelvac and Fred and Gigi always try to eat my fingers (it tickels :D ).

I love this part! Malibu does this, she is getting BRAVE.. She just comes up and keeps nipping..That fish will eat anything that gets near the tank (Spanky/Sly... don't even SAY it)

Well, I think my absolute favorite thing about this hobby is the reward of seeing my fish thrive, enough so, to where I can really see their personalities come alive and change a bit as they grow. Everyday I spend with them, feeding, changing water, general tests and maintenance, and just watching them is a learning experience and what I like to think as bonding time. I absolutely love learning, and love learning about animals, so of course reading about fish and fish care is great too! The excitement of getting a new tank/home set up for a new goldie is intense, lmao, call it a rush if you will! And when you finally find that perfect fish as an addition is also great. I'm constantly drooling over one goldfish or another, but tbh, the one fish who really, truly, and always will be my girl is Athena. She's my "first fish" (really, my first well taken care of goldfish), and come on I think we all have our shining favorites. Athena means the world to me, lmao, I just got done having a 30 minute conversation with my mother and a -ton- of it was over how my fish are doing - I'm on vacation. She was telling my older sister, who keeps tropicals, that I'm so darn particular about my fish and that she wouldn't hear the end of it if something happened to one of them (especially! Athena). It's true. She wouldn't. Call me a neurotic fish mommy, but thats really what these guys have turned me into! I love goldfish, goldfish keeping, anything about them. Kokos is such a great website too! It's so fun learning and talking to other people who are obsessed fish people, too!