Plecos And Goldies!

Franky

how come you cant put plecos with goldies?

ive had been very unexpieranced(spelled wrong!) and had my plecos with my goldies for 3 years and nothing happened?could something eventually happen to my goldies?or my plecos? or both? :(

MVC-220F-1.jpg

here is my fish with my plecos.

Edited by Franky

That looks like a (female) bristlenose pleco. Is it? These kind can be quite passive and are the only kind ever suggested possible to keep with goldies - but these too can suddenly attach to (usually a) weak fish.

How big is your tank? This is another guideline. Lack of territory causes predatory behavior. Each pleco needs 20 gallons minimum roaming space + 24 hour available feeding to keep them "nice" :)

is that why they try to attach?cause my fish just move away and i have 2 of them and i dont kno how many gallons my tank is cause i got it for free and they never told me the size. :( how do u kno its female?do they kill each other? :idont:cry1

Edited by Franky

Here, this is a male bristlenose (only mine is albino/golden color)

P1030476.jpg

the female doesnt have the pronounced bristles on her nose, or far shorter ones anyway.

If your plecs are flying onto your fish it is definitely time to move them out. Fast. Once they start that, things can progress and they will begin to get a taste for your goldfishes slimecoat. Can you keep them spearately or even consider giving them to a friend or taking them back to the store. the store may give you credit for them.

To find out the size of your tank: Conversion Tool Measure your tank, and enter the numbers there!

And here's some general gallonage requirements: 10 gallons per fancy goldfish, 20 gallons per common goldfish, and 20 gallons per pleco (as Trinket said).

Plecos will suck off the goldfish's slime coat, which stresses the goldfish and can lead to infections and disease.

You're doing good, and keep asking questions! :thumbs:

Edited by Petperson04

Imo, Franky's pleco looks like a common instead of a BN. The fins are a bit large compared to BN, the body more elongated, and the caudal lack the white strip at the end.

Franky, you said u got your pleco for 3 years already. Is that how big he is right now? A 3-yr old pleco should've been at least 10 inches long. Even a BN should be 5 inches. Yours look like only 3 inches at the most.