How To Heat A Fish Bowl

Guest pearlywhirly31

Guest pearlywhirly31

I know this site deals only with goldfish but this is basically a question about "tank" equipment. I have a betta in a bowl and since they need a temperature of about 75 and up and the bowl is at 70 right now, is there a way that I can heat the bowl up and keep it at a desired temperature??? k thx!!!

depending on how big your "bowl" is, there is a mini heater that can be used but only raises the temperature a few degrees. im not a betta expert ( you can find them in the tropical betta section of this board), but from what i know, it isnt the best even for bettas, to be in a "bowl". they get clamped fins and such, no room to swim (well, as much as they do swim), and the more water volume you have, the easier it is to have a stable temp. visit the other section for more useful info for this type of breed. heres a link for the mini heater:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...3578+3743+12087

While, yes, about the only fish that could adequately survive in a bowl is a betta, I have heard from avid betta keepers (as I don't keep bettas myself) that bettas' fins, health and personality simply come alive in a 5 gallon tank. Bettas are strong, aggressive fish and the more room they are given to flex their muscles, the more beautiful and vibrant they become. So, my advice, save the investment into a heater for the bowl and use it toward purchasing a 5 gallon tank kit. I think the transformation you will see in your betta will be amazing.

Complete Betta Tank Setup

Setting up a Betta Tank

Choosing a Tank

Housing Your Betta

Edited by lynda441

The above statements are all very true. I learned the hard way that bettas really do better in a tank. I lost a number of gorgeous bettas because after anywhere from 1-6 months in a bowl their fins started to shrivel up and they just sat on the bottom only coming up for food. And I cleaned them every week, too but it wasn't enough. So now I have one betta in a 5 gal tank with filter and one in a 16 gal tropical community tank with filter and heater. My 5 gal doesn't have a heater because we keep the house over 72F and that keeps the water warm enough. However, I did see a little heater for 5 gals at wallymart that says it automatically keeps the water at 78F so you don't have to adjust it.

BTW both my bettas LOVE all the room--they are constantly swimming back and forth, through the filter current and all. Doesn't seem to bother them although some bettas prefer less current. Mine are always looking at me begging for food or cruising around searching for food in the tank. They are indeed very active if given the chance! :)

Edited by Kristi

My Betta is in a 20G heavily planted community tank. Oh boy, he just couldn't stop swimming around and exploring the tank.

He is also very gentle towards other fish in the tank, he behaves like he is the only fish in the tank.

I highly recommend getting at least a 5g tank for your betta. From what I read Betta can only live couple weeks in a cup or bowel, but their average life span is 3 years or more depend on how much care they have been receiving.

I lost several bettas my self by putting them in those plastic boxes with vents in a 10g, they need space to swim and exercise to be healthy.

Guest pearlywhirly31

oh ok. thx for all the info. i've always been told that it was ok to keep bettas in a bowl but at least i now know better. i think i'm going to move him into a tank as soon as one becomes available, anyways thx again for the advice!!!

• 4 months later...
Guest pearlywhirly31

I know it's been like months and months but I have finally moved my betta from his stupid little bowl into a 5-gal bucket and then into a 5-gal tank. Thank God! Poor baby was getting pretty sick from sitting on the gravel and having freezing water (60˚ in winter). He has fin rot right now but is doing much better since his relocation. Still can't believe it took me this long to go out and buy a tank for the goldie that was in the tank that the betta's in. Like I said in my last post, thanks for all thew wonderful advice. I really appreciate it. :D

My guy has lived for the past 4-5 years in a 5 gallon with his guppy buddies, and everyone's doing great. I've got 4 females in a moderately planted 10 gallon with a cory and they're happy as clams.

Guest pearlywhirly31

Oh yeah, another thing. About how many bettas could I keep in 5 gallons and 10 gallons? Is it also possible to have a male and several females in the same tank with the male divided from the females? kk thx.

I would only keep one betta in the 5 gal as both males and females are territorial and will fight. In the 10 gal you could probably have 2 females if you put them in at the same time and had lots of plants for them to hide in and claim for their territory--but I'd still watch them closely to make sure they got along ok. And about a divider I think it might be too stressful for the male and females to see each other all the time--they really don't care much for each others' company! :)