Why Webcams Are Awesome.

Nomi

Well, I just sort of need to rant for just a bit. As you may or may not know, my goldfish live not at home with me but at my parents work. Now, usually I try to get in as often as possible, usually at least once or twice a week to do water changes and feed them their weekly pea treat. However, I haven't been able to get in to see them at all for the past week. Of course I worry since the water quality there is never as good as it should be (it's a truck repair shop, and goodness know what sort of gunk gets into the water). Thank goodness for webcams. I have one set up on the tank and even though the detail isn't great, I can at least moniter how they are swimming since one fish does have problems with bottom sitting. Of course, I worry about if they are being fed enough or if they are being fed too much, if anyone is sticking things they shouldn't into the tank, if nobody bothers to even look at them and I come in one day to find them all floating at the top. I can't wait until I can get Ophie out of there and into a nice 10-20 gallon with me this fall. I even had a dream where the tank was changed to a shark tank and my Ophie was missing an eye.

So, anyone else have a fishie webcam? Or have their fish living away from them?

Anyone else have weird goldfish dreams like me or am I a whole new level of fish crazy?

Oh..I can totally understand how you feel..I would have felt the same if my fishies were away...I keep worrying even when am at work...

Pardon me asking...why can't you have them with you???...and its really good to know you visit them and try to keep up with the water changes and their health...I wish they could be with you...

My parents don't want a fishtank in the house, and have been completly unmovable on the subject. And believe me, I have been trying as hard as I can to convince them it would be in everyones best interests to allow me to take them home. I am more than welcome to have a tank once I move out to art school though. The only issue is then I will need to do a cycle with fish. I'm hoping they will give in and at least let me cycle the tank at home this next month before I move up and the fish move in.

Oh..I really really hope they agree..would be nice to cycle the tank before ur babies move in...but I really dont think should be difficult...you could use the filter and 50-60% of the water from your current tank...while moving be careful so that the bacteria thrive...and I think they will be fine...and cycling from scratch would not be necessary...I hope the fishies do well until the move happens...and then you will have all the time to spend and take care of them...Good Luck...Everything will work out for you...

Thank you! I don't know if I can take the filter, since they'll be needing it as I can really only take Ophie with me, though I can probably take the old filter media and put in a new one for the shop fish, as well as some water or gravel. The thing is we will be flying up to my art school, and I don't really know if it is possible to fly a fish. I'm sure it can be done somehow, it is a short flight (not over an hour).

Oh am sure..it can be worked out..maybe the filter media would be of help, if you can take it...a person like you who is so careful with water changes and care, cycling with Ophie won't be bad either...you will do a good job there...people here can give you advice on how to take the fish on a flight...I have never done it myself..but many people here might have...I will check out too if I can find some info for you...Ophie will do gr8 with you...

Edited by SunshineGurl

The thing is we will be flying up to my art school, and I don't really know if it is possible to fly a fish. I'm sure it can be done somehow, it is a short flight (not over an hour).

Moving pet fish via airplane is a very complicated procedure, regardless of length of trip. You must contact your air travel provider to find out their regulations and restrictions for taking aboard fish. Yes, you could try to smuggle the fish aboard, but if you are caught, and the way they inspect luggage these days, you will be, you will be given two choices. Leave the fish behind or not travel with the air travel provider.

Preparation for air travel with fish must begin at least one month before the actual travel date, as that is the typical amount of quarantine time the pet must be in. You must have certain health certifications for travel provided by a veterinarian and/or government agency and you must provide documentation that the fish has been properly packaged. You most likely will not be allowed to bring your fish into the cabin area nor will you be allowed to even check it as luggage, but instead, will be required to check it as "cargo."

So, contact your air travel provider as early as possible to find out what their requirements are.

Preparation for Moving Your Fish

Delta Airlines Pet Travel Requirements

AirCanada Pet Travel Requirements

Horizon Air Pet Travel Requirements

Alaska Airlines Pet Travel Requirements

Edited by lynda441