Fantail Eye Kinda Sunken...

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? ?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap??

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) API drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 47 gals (180 litres), running for over a year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? fluval 2+ and AVI-2300. both internals.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 60-80 litres per week.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3, (one small black moor, one 5 inch oranda and one 4 inch fantail)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra aquasafe on every water change. nothing else.

*]Any medications added to the tank? a bit of melafix as the oranda had some blood in her fins, some shredding and a cut on her tail, all of which seems to be clearing up.

What do you feed your fish? Hikari sinking pellets, peas, gel food

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? see below

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? see below

hi - this is about my fantail (shere khan). he has these very long droopy showy fins, and when i came home today i found him stuck down the side of one of the filters. his fins seemed to have got caught, as they were pretty shredded :( this has happened before, and always clears up fine, so i'm not too worried, just move the filters around to try and help him. however, something new has happened today...when i got home he was quite wedged in beside the filter, and it looks like his head has been squished :unsure: one of his eyes is sunken into his head. he's also now having trouble keeping his balance when he swims, and is looking very sorry for himself. he's also looking slightly pine-coned, so i'm worried he's developing dropsy.

has anyone experienced anything like this before? i know to keep the water pristine and keep an eye on params etc, but is there anything else i can do?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks SunshineGurl, i appreciate the kind thoughts. i'd just been and got 2 new calicos who were in quarantine when shere khan had his accident, it's kinda ironic...it seems my tank is doomed to only ever have a certain number of fish in there!

aww I'm sorry to hear about Shere Kahn. (cool name!)

You may want to consider covering your filter intake with aquarium foam to help keep this from ahppening again ^-^

Good luck with your calicos!!

awwww... :hug no dont worry you will be successful with calicos and your future goldfish...

and some awesome advice by Patches...fix the filter so that nothing like this happens in future...i have heard ppl use breeding net for this purpose too...

take care...and please post some pictures of the calicos....how are doing in the QT by the way???