Any Hope?

HNLim

I was at a LFS at my neighbourhood yesterday at around noon and I saw this tank of orandas on display in a high up tank being offered at S$38/- (US$25/-) a piece. I noticed this Black Oranda, but it had a broken dorsal fin and a broken tail. It is also skinny and looks stunded.

20kaqoo.jpg

Last night I was having dinner with my family at the "kopitiam" next door to the LFS. While waiting for the food to come, I went back to the LFS and offered them S$20/- (US$14.50) for this Black Oranda which they easily agreed. I went to collect the oranda this morning..

Here is a close-up of this oranda. Is there any hope or chance this fella will grow up to be a nice Black Oranda?

2gxpq8l.jpg

I would say yes. I'm no expert but as long as he's got good water conditions, plenty of foor, a few meds (Melafix) then he has a very good chance.

Well done for rescuing such a beautiful fish!

I think it's beautiful now! A little love to get rid of the white specks and smooth out the edges of the fins and it will be healthy as well as beautiful!

This guy will become a superstar under your care, Mr. Lim! ;)

Fatten it up, keep in pristine water, lots of sunlight.

What potential do you see in this piece, Mr. Lim?

I am just trying my luck and hoping for the best. OK! let me try to explain my choice and see if it makes sense.

1. The dorsal is almost perfect except for the tear which I feel will heal completely within one month.

2. The tail is almost perfect except for the missing portion. It has got no bent and it is well spread and position at a very nice angle.

3. All other fins are even except for some slight damage which should heal within 2 weeks.

4. The body shape is balance even though a little skinny, which I feel should not be problem. It should put on weight which should deepens its body profile.

5. It's scales are even and well lined except for some missing scales on its left side which should be fully recover within a month.

6. It has a very majestic deportment holds itself very well when stationery and its fins are also well placed.

7. It has a very strong swimming motion and moves around with ease and its tail holds itself firmly and nicely.

8. Its colour though a little pale for a Black Oranda should darken and becomes more brilliant in about 2 months.

9. Its wen though not well develope at the moment should balance up the fish as it grows bigger.

10. It has got a pair of even and nice anal fins well tucked-in by its tail.

well... if you're hoping he turns out to be a deep velvety black oranda, I wouldn't hope too much. Its belly apppears well on the way to becoming bronze.

HOPE is what we all live for!

I would worry abut the color at bit, too. But it is hard to tell the exposure of your camera, so perhaps. I have lousy luck with most blacks, so I am always pessimistic, though.

I have had FAR worse heal - broken front dorsal spines, tails completely destroyed in breeding, etc. The front dorsal spine took some fine wire and month - but it healed. The tails healed quickly and perfectly. All three of these fish have been to show and are going again. Your Oranda should heal nicely.

As far as fattening him up and building muscle - I would say you are an EXPERT!

I will LOVE seeing a picture of the finished fish in a month or two! :)

he will do fine just give him the right ph for his waterand the nitrate level i believeand feed him well and the rest should heal! :Congrats: nice fish by the way!

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe this picture will show the changes if any.

Mr. Lim, you must be so proud....I have no words..this is a stunning fish...and the growth and change is absolutely beautiful...such rich black color...Frankly speaking I cannot even say that these two pictures are of the same fish...10 days only...and such healing...this is just awesome...I love the fish...and awesome job taking care of the guy...AWESOME JOB... :#1 ...I would love to see some more pics when he gets even better...please :) ...Beautiful...absolutely beautiful...

Looks like the fins are healing well. Not drastic, but getting there :)

The bulk however has improved dramatically, even the wen is bigger, and only in 10 days! The black has deepened considerably also.

What have you been feeding him, Mr Lim? Bloodworms and paste food?

Edited by d_golem

Looks like the fins are healing well. Not drastic, but getting there :)

The bulk however has improved dramatically, even the wen is bigger, and only in 10 days! The black has deepened considerably also.

What have you been feeding him, Mr Lim? Bloodworms and paste food?

Firstly, I think its a "she". I feed her with "Hikari" koi pellets, those used to feed baby koi. The size of the pellet is "SSS". Nothing fanciful. No bloodworm, some sunlight with plenty of clear clean water.

Clear clean water & Hikari pellets I have, only the sunlight I lack. U got outdoor tubs, Mr Lim?

All my tanks are kept in my balcony.

Firstly, I think its a "she". I feed her with "Hikari" koi pellets, those used to feed baby koi. The size of the pellet is "SSS". Nothing fanciful. No bloodworm, some sunlight with plenty of clear clean water.

Awesomeeee!!..baby koi pellets...they are on my shopping list...but I must say the difference in just 10 days is really impressive...She is gorgeous...

Bingo - that wonderful balcony sun. Gosh , I wish I could have a protected sunny spot!

My koi food (I like the baby koi or the high protien growth Hikari) floats. So I blanch it up with my veggies and dump it into gel food. It is GREAT stuff..... and not very expensive because it comes in larger volume.

I love that black. I really need you to blacken a few of my fish up for me!!!

Bingo - that wonderful balcony sun. Gosh , I wish I could have a protected sunny spot!

My koi food (I like the baby koi or the high protien growth Hikari) floats. So I blanch it up with my veggies and dump it into gel food. It is GREAT stuff..... and not very expensive because it comes in larger volume.

I love that black. I really need you to blacken a few of my fish up for me!!!

I gather some black caviar may do the job better. ;) I personally believe that shadded sun is best especially if you live in Singapore. Oh!, BTW, you guys have forgotten we have NEWater in Singapore.( http://www.pub.gov.sg/NEWater/Pages/default.aspx ).

Oh, boy. NEWater sounds just...... wonderful. I spent a good deal of time hiking up and down learning green water culture on the balconies of Singapore in 1998-9. I always thought it would be nice to have a protected outdoor area for a nice big tub like the ones I saw. However, the few that dumped water on the floors below always gave me pause!

Cavair, 'eh? That is a can do....

:rolleyes:

I have a perfectly beautiful black Ranchu - a little guy that is growing so nicely in body, but his belly is silvered out. No bronze - I should be able to blacken him. But between the 878942375934793748 raccoons, the 48729724348927397 heron and the 723487329723947238472937429374 wild cats, putting that fish outdoors would simply be offering him up as an appetizer for the wildlife!!! I need a nice balcony!!!!! (You can keep your heat!)

:)