Basil

Desiree

Hello everyone! I have a TON of basil growing in my window and I'm curious, can I feed it to my goldfish? From what I gather, it's high in antioxidants. It's been growing with no chemicals, just regular old water and sunlight. My fish LOVE spinach and even the occasional pea; so I imagine they would like it. My main concern is, is it safe? Any thoughts?

I never thought of basil...yeah I would be concerned too cos its a herb...but again its a leaf..so I think it would be good..

What I had on my mind was cilantro...I really want to try cilantro...has anyone tried that???

I can only find info based on human usage, so, interpretation needs to be done from there:

"Medicinal Uses

Medicinally basil is used both as an antidepressant and an antiseptic. Leaves can be rubbed on the skin to relive itching from insect bites. The leaves are also made into a concoction with honey and used for cough syrup. The essential oil extracted from the leaves can be used as an insect repellent or massage oil to aid in depression and anxiety. It has a powerful taste and may take some getting used to. (Source: Herbs and Herb Gardening, Jessica Houdret)"

Basil is extremely high in Vitamin A. Basil is not poisonous to cats or dogs.

So, it has a good vitamin, it is a good antiseptic and while we typically don't worry about depressed fish, that application could be applied to an ill fish and it relieves itching. It's powerful tasting, but gf like garlic, so go figure. I'd say it almost sounds like basil might be a good plant-based food to give to nurse a fish to health and/or to give for a fish suffering from a skin related illness, such as parasites or a healing scrape.... just my uneducated deductions.....

Guest Isilme
I can only find info based on human usage, so, interpretation needs to be done from there:

"Medicinal Uses

Medicinally basil is used both as an antidepressant and an antiseptic. Leaves can be rubbed on the skin to relive itching from insect bites. The leaves are also made into a concoction with honey and used for cough syrup. The essential oil extracted from the leaves can be used as an insect repellent or massage oil to aid in depression and anxiety. It has a powerful taste and may take some getting used to. (Source: Herbs and Herb Gardening, Jessica Houdret)"

Basil is extremely high in Vitamin A. Basil is not poisonous to cats or dogs.

So, it has a good vitamin, it is a good antiseptic and while we typically don't worry about depressed fish, that application could be applied to an ill fish and it relieves itching. It's powerful tasting, but gf like garlic, so go figure. I'd say it almost sounds like basil might be a good plant-based food to give to nurse a fish to health and/or to give for a fish suffering from a skin related illness, such as parasites or a healing scrape.... just my uneducated deductions.....

That's true indeed. I would be careful thought, because not everything that is good for us is good for animals (certain drugs like penicillin can be lethal for animals such as guinea pigs and garlic and chocolate are poisonous for cats and dogs). It would be interesting to know if you can use herbs to treat gf, but I can't find any literature about it.

That's true indeed. I would be careful thought, because not everything that is good for us is good for animals (certain drugs like penicillin can be lethal for animals such as guinea pigs and garlic and chocolate are poisonous for cats and dogs). It would be interesting to know if you can use herbs to treat gf, but I can't find any literature about it.

Yeah, I still myself would be hestitant and you've said. And I too, couldn't find any literature on herbs and fish. Okay, I guess it's time for Acupunk to expand!

Thanks for all the info Lynda! :) Well, not that this answers whether it's safe or not... but, the other night I tore of a big leaf from my basil and put it on the veggie clip. They were rather suspicious of it at first, but quickly devoured it; literally to the "stem" within minutes. I think they like it even more than spinach. But, I'll hold off on feeding it regularly until I'm sure it's 100% safe. :)

Edited by Desiree

Thanks for all the info Lynda! :) Well, not that this answers whether it's safe or not... but, the other night I tore of a big leaf from my basil and put it on the veggie clip. They were rather suspicious of it at first, but quickly devoured it; literally to the "stem" within minutes. I think they like it even more than spinach. But, I'll hold off on feeding it regularly until I'm sure it's 100% safe. :)

i'd be interested to know if your fish had any weird reactions to this, my dad grows a lot of basil in his garden, and we tend to have too much to eat most of the time. did the fish have any trouble biting it raw or was it fairly easy for them?

So far so good. They really seem to like it and I haven't seen any negative effects from it. They eat it just as they do spinach, raw. They like to swim up to it, attached to the Veggie Clip and rip the living you know what out of it... Hahah! Within a couple hours it's gone.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been giving it to my fish now and then for months!

Just wondering: Why would Herbs be bad for them?

Edited by Jeana727

Guest Isilme

Herbs may contain natural compounts that have been and are being used as drugs in medecine. You know, herbal medecine and such.

Some compounds might be toxic for some animals and plants. You can use certain herbs to kill insects for example and garlic is toxic for cats. That's why you should always be careful with herbs when you want to use them on animals, babies and pregnant women.