White Spots Into Tail Rot

Guest midwesternlull

Guest midwesternlull

Hello!

I recently noticed (within the last week or so) a few small white spots on one of my goldfish's tail (regular fantail variety). The white spots have turned into some pretty bad tail rot. I immediately administered consecutive daily water changes, but things just haven't gotten better. As you can see, my water parameters look good. Unfortunately, I don't have a quaranteen tank set up. I would hate to medicate my healthy calico ryukin unnecessarily.

What should be my course of action? Thanks for your help!

===============================

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 5

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? Low=7.6/High=7.9

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.6/Chicago tap

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) API Master Test Kit

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 29 gal./~3 mo.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? Emperor 400

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly/~7.5 gal. (25%)

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2/small

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Stress Coat

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? No

[*]What do you feed your fish? Rotate between Omega One pellets, Nutrafin Max sprirulina, and regular Nutrafin Max flakes

[*]Any unusual findings: Frayed tail , white spots on tail

[*]Any unusual behavior: None

This is ich. It lies in wait in many tanks and attacks sick or weakened or stressed fish first. Your calico ryukin will have to be treated too and so will the tank. The ich however may be a result of the finrot - another disease in progress and that too may need treating.

First and most urgently treat the ich. Click on my SALT link in my sig and this will talk you through how to salt your tank for ich. The dose is 0.3%.

And welcome to kokos :)

Guest midwesternlull

Thanks for the reply, Trinket! Based my reading though, it sounds like it might more likely be a bacterial infection. Wouldn't ich also be present on the body?

I am preparing to salt but do not want to move forward with it unless other medications might be more appropriate.

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Edited by midwesternlull

Hi Midwestern!!!

I was just about to suggest salt when Trinket's post popped up. Trinket helped me through my Ich crisis a few months ago and I used the salting method she suggested. It worked wonders..

Some of the other suggestions she & others gave me back then that might be of use to you are to do very large water changes right now, and thoroughly vaccum the bottom with a gravel vac to remove any of the cysts that have dropped off the fish and any larval forms. You can wipe down the sides of the tank before doing the water changes and then alot of the little nasties are sucked out with the water change.

I also found it very helpful to keep track of the salt with a salt log showing salt in/salt out.. It seems simple enough but after a few days of salting and water changes, sometimes it makes things so much easier to have a record of what you've done, so you know exactly how much salt you've put in, how much you've removed, how long it's been in there. Things like that.

In the long run the only other thing I might suggest is to up your water changes to 50% weekly. Although your readings are very good, doing the extra amount of water changes reduces the amount of bad bacteria in the water. I've been doing 50% weekly, then once a month doing a full 100% temperature matched water change.

Good luck getting your fish back to health!!! I hope things turn out well for you! : ) Welcome to Koko's! : )

I just caught your update.. The good news, is that salt is one of the safest ways to treat a variety of things. Including but not limited to Ich, Fin & Tail Rot.. Trinket is pretty high up in her ranking around here. She's one of the go to girls for advice! She has successfully helped me treat 4 fish with 4 different illnesses and I've watched her help countless others. Try the salt and see how your fish improves. If your fish gets worse, or does not improve post back and THEN she or one of the other moderators/members can talk meds. Either way, post back with updates! : ) We will be curious to see how things turn out!