Need Advice

Guest gold

hi

i have just joined this forum and iys full of info and i should have joined long ago...

anywas my problem is this:

im gooing o holiday for 3 weeks and i want to release my goldies (2) as i have no one to look after them. now where can i set them free in London?

i know they will not survive for 3 weeks without food and change of water ( big fish bowl) and ive had them for 6 years now.

please help as im leaving next weekend.

thanx

Hello and welcome to Kokos! First, let me ask... is there no one available who could feed them and do a water change for you? I'm not familiar with London, but generally speaking it is not advised to release domesticated animals into the "wild" so to speak, whether that be a pond at a park, or anything... Second, you mention you've had these fish for 6 years. I'm kind of suprised you are willing to let go of them so easily?

Also, you mention your fish are in a big fish bowl. Goldfish are recommended to have at least 10 gallons per fish. You said you've been reading the forum, so I'm sure you've come across that. Generally speaking, most of us came here with questions and problems due to being overstocked. As for myself, I had 9 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank. Once I read enough on the forum, I realized the error of my ways and have made adjustments from there on out. :)

Remember, we're here to help! Please feel free to ask any addiitonal questions you may have.

thanx for the reply but i really dont know what to do with my goldfish. if i leave them they will just die and i dont want that.

there is a pond with big japanese fish which im considering but what if they get eaten or cant cope with the change of enviroment. so any ideas would be much appreciated.

i know they will not survive for 3 weeks without food and change of water ( big fish bowl) and ive had them for 6 years now.

Second, you mention you've had these fish for 6 years. I'm kind of suprised you are willing to let go of them so easily?

That is such a shame!!!! Surely there is SOMEONE who could help you out even if it was every few days or so?? Maybe come to feed every 2-3 days and then do one water change in the middle somewhere??? It would be so sad to let them go after all this time.. I hope you find some way around giving them up. If I were in London I would help you out, but I think Pennsylvania is just a BIT too far away! lol..

it's likely enough that they won't cope with the change. they've lived all their lives in a temperature and pH controlled world. out in the open, there's herons and bigger fish and all sorts of bad stuff. if they're valuable, you may be able to find a pet store that will take them in and sell them to someone else. unfortunately, if they're a small or common variety, it might not happen for you.

Honestly, I wouldn't risk it. You said the fish there are large. How big are your fish? What type of goldfish do you have? The fish in the pond are most likely Koi which are way larger and faster than your average Goldfish. Chances are, your fish would have a really hard time competing for food. Do you know if the fish there are healthy? Have you ever seen someone there doing maintenance, ie. cleaning, feeding, etc?

Do you trust releasing them in an unknown environment more? The change in PH or bacteria in the water would definately stress them, possibly kill them. That is if they survive being eaten by the other fish.

What about seeing if you could find a pet sitter? They wouldn't have to come by more than every three days. Or you could donate them to a vet's office or an elementary school. Or even see if they might be willing to watch them for you.

Then I would make the investment of getting your pet's a bigger home.

Honestly, I wouldn't risk it. You said the fish there are large. How big are your fish? What type of goldfish do you have? The fish in the pond are most likely Koi which are way larger and faster than your average Goldfish. Chances are, your fish would have a really hard time competing for food. Do you know if the fish there are healthy? Have you ever seen someone there doing maintenance, ie. cleaning, feeding, etc?

yes its a famous japanese garden in holand park and the fish there are massive. mine are just normal goldies and about 10/15 times smaller

I strongly suggest you think of some other options beyond taking them to a pond or a pet store. But I guess if you really aren't attached, the right thing is to take them to a pet store where they can be re-sold to someone else. Yes, a plastic bag (check for holes!) or a plastic container will suffice for transport to the store.

Most places have laws against release of domesticated pets into the "wild". In our town, you can be fined 1000s of dollars and potentially be jailed.

AS far as a pond with carefully raised koi - you would invoke the ire of the pond owner. Not only would the pond owner be agast and furious at the fact that these fish were placed in his pond, but the first thing he would do would be to fish them out and destroy them. Fish can carry all kinds of problems with them. Your fish may have parasites/disease that they are immune to, but the pond fish are NOT - and they could cause a great deal of damage. Most pond koi are worth hundred to thousands of dollars apiece - something a pond keeper guards carefully.

A standard sized common or comet (single tailed goldfish) of standard size - 10-12 inches or more - may survive in a koi pond, but much smaller and they become the other fish's lunch. If not eaten, they may or may not be able to compete for food, and would die.

I would suggest taking them to a fish shop - as stated above - and seeing if the shop can help find them a new home. IT is the most humane thing. Short of that, they are better off humanely destroyed rather than being dumped into a lake or pond.

No idea as to how reputable this is but might be worth a look and investigation. Six years is a long time to throw away would be such a shame.

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/pet/734472031.html

you could also advertise on craigslist for someone to adopt them, but you might not get a reply in time.

Given your situation and the facts that dumping them in a private or public pond or lake is just not the answer for all the reasons stated above, and if you really cannot find someone to watch them while you're gone or take them permanently, taking them to a fish store for resale is by far a better choice. I too am very surprised that, after 6 years, you are willing to give up so easily.

I did some quick online research and found this petsitting service that is located in West London/Middlesex who will do fish feeding. Helen's Pet Care Service

Here is one in North London A Furry World

Here's another one who specializes in just aquarium set up, care and maintenance.Aquarium Maintenance

I just think you've given up too soon. If you do some more creative thinking, I think you'll be able to come up with much more suitable alternatives.

Edited by lynda441