Hmmm Is My Water Going Green ?

this week my water has a green tint colour to it ...does that mean it is turning green water ?????..I just changed 85% because it was due for a big change I'm going to see if it will do the same ..however I have neither that much brown and no green algae in the tank ..so is it still possible to have your water go green ???

It does sound like you've developed a population of suspended algae. Joy and I were surprised when one of our tanks suddenly started turning green... it wasn't even growing much algae at the time. As long as you keep a portion of the green water in the tank, the tank will keep turning green between waterchanges. If you do a 100% w/c you might get rid of it.

• Admin

I have the same thing on my 80gal tank :D One main reason my has a green color to it is that the sun hits the tank for about 4-5 hours a day. Its nothing to worry about unless you dont like the color :(

One of my old tanks a few years ago went green, neon green, and it took me forever to get it to go away because I didn't remove all of it. Slowly but surely in between water changes it would get greener and greener. I agree with everyone else, it'll take almost 100% water change to get it completely gone.

But, isn't green water beneficial? I've read a few posts on here of people harvesting green water. :)

Yeah, I can't blame you. My old 30 looked like a radioactive green glowing box, you couldn't even see the fish... It was quite weird. Good luck with the water! Hopefully it won't take too much to get it under control. :)

Edited by Desiree

My water is going green too. Is it really ok to do 85% - 100% water changes? Wont that mess up my cycle and or BB?

I dont like the idea of chemicals to take care of it, but it does look a little nasty. I do notice my water tests and spot on perfect now though. I had a nitrite problem about 2 weeks ago. Also, my tank is about 4-5 weeks old, 30 gallon, 3 fancy goldies.

Posterchild--

It is DEFINITELY okay to do 85-100% water changes! The bacteria colonies live in the filter media, not in the water. So as long as you don't let the media dry out, your colonies and your cycle will be fine. BIG water changes, IMHO, are good for the tank and for the fish. I wouldn't do them every day, but a giant water change once per week is fine.

Also, if you don't like green water in your tank, there are tons of better ways to take care of it than through chemicals. The way we dealt with it in the fry tank, where the water was so green I couldn't even SEE the fry anymore, was to put filter floss into the filter. Floss is basically polyester fiber-- pillow stuffing-- and you can buy aquarium-specific filter floss, or you can just pick up a bag of pillow stuffing at your local craft store. A good sized chunk of it will pull the suspended algae right out of the water!

Also, keeping your nitrates under control will keep the algae down. Nitrates and phosphates are what the algae need to survive, as well as light. Reducing your lighting conditions (lower wattage or fewer # hours with the light on or less sunlight) will also help with algae control.