Indonesia Goldfish Photos (dial-up Warning)

A few months ago, my dad wanted to build a pond for his new house he's building back in Jakarta, Indonesia. So, being a goldfish lover and an illustrator, I said to him to build a goldfish pond and I'll design it for him.

So, not long ago I went back to my hometown in Jakarta, Indonesia. The house is done and the pond is up and running. I was very happy to see that the pond looks awesome and the builder took gist of the ideas I had for the pond and modified it to make it better.

Here are some pics of the pond and its inhabitants, plus a few more "random" fishy pics :D

One of many designs I came up with. This one is one of the simplest, but my dad liked it best.

pond-rumah-baru.jpg

The finished pond. The builder expanded upon the tiered cascade and actually made them to contain the filter media.

pond-front.jpg

pond-side.jpg

Comets are dirt cheap in Indonesia, so my mom bought them, along with a few kois to inhabit the pond

the-gang-2.jpg

the-gang.jpg

Yep, that's my hand. The comets are already fearless of humans, but the kois are surprisingly skittish.

hello-fishies.jpg

I bought my mom 2 local Indonesian ranchus, both about 5 inches long. I told her that they're gonna be the barometer of the health of the pond. If they die, then I know my mom's not taking care of her fish :D

ranchu-bag.jpg

ranchu1-1.jpg

ranchu2.jpg

Lol they look like a couple of Volkswagen vans in a sea of sedans

ranchu--gang.jpg

The shop tank I got them from

ranchu-tank.jpg

Some local ryukins, orandas, ping pong pearlies, and short-tailed calico bubble-eyes

oranda-ryukin-tank.jpg

calico-bubble-pingpong-tank.jpg

Anybody knows what kind of fish are they?? Very weird looking.

watdahec.jpg

I went to a seafood restaurant and they got some very interesting things on the menu:

A Timika crab, from Papua

timika.jpg

A pair of poisonous stonefish. Wonder what they taste like. Chicken?

stonefish.jpg

Areolatas. I always think of them as very pretty hermit crab shells but never imagine them as food.

aerolata.jpg

wow that was a really cool post!! It's unbeleivable how in some parts of the world how its so easy to get good quality goldfish.....For me in Florida I have to drive an hour to get the goos stuffs....

I absolutely love the pond/fountain. What a dream to have something like that in your home! So far it looks like your parents are taking care of the fish -- the water is beautifully clear.

The pond is simply breathtaking! I love the simple, contemporary lines and the glass walls are genius! Outdoor ponds just don't let you get the sideview, so that's brilliant!

Lol!, they look like a couple of Volkswagen vans in a sea of sedans.

Also brilliant! Loved this! :tomuch::rofl3

when I win the lottery I'll be calling you up to design my indoor pond !!!!!!!

i'm with hi-d there. maybe you can start a business as an goldfish pond designer, huh? :D

WOW! WOW! WOW... and ... WOW! That is AMAZING!!! STUNNING! PERFECT. WOW. lol

That is simply one of the most beautiful things. I love seeing how your design turned into the real thing. And I love how the real thing turned out. I'm in awe. It's sooo pretty! Pretty isn't even the word.. What a beautiful addition to the home.. I don't think I would ever leave that area!!!

Anybody knows what kind of fish are they?? Very weird looking.

watdahec.jpg

They're line-bred "balloon" Red Rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus). Honestly, I don't know what is with breeders' fascination with "balloon" fish, whether they be mollies, platies, Blue Rams, and now rainbowfish. They just look plain ugly to me and the fish are obviously handicapped with having such extreme spine deformations after only several generations in captivity...

Hey,

Where have you been? long time no see, hmm. It's a beautiful pond(nice design). and beautiful ranchus too.

Thx mate :) the important thing is I'm back :D

The ranchus between the slender ones look like body-builders in a jockey-meeting :rofl

Lol that's brilliant :D

WOW! WOW! WOW... and ... WOW! That is AMAZING!!! STUNNING! PERFECT. WOW. lol

That is simply one of the most beautiful things. I love seeing how your design turned into the real thing. And I love how the real thing turned out. I'm in awe. It's sooo pretty! Pretty isn't even the word.. What a beautiful addition to the home.. I don't think I would ever leave that area!!!

Thx CountryLovah, I feel exactly the same thing as you. Whenever I was home during my holiday, I spent most of my time relaxing in front of the pond and slowly falling asleep :D pure heaven :9

:druel

how many gallons is that riz? :D

so nice...

the orchids, and the overlooking rabbits add a nice light touch to the stark coloring.

is there a significance of using the rabbits? :)

:druel

how many gallons is that riz? :D

so nice...

the orchids, and the overlooking rabbits add a nice light touch to the stark coloring.

is there a significance of using the rabbits? :)

Gallons.....hmmm.....including the capacity of the filter & filled to the max, I would say in the region of 2000+ litres, so probably 600-800 gallons.

The orchids are my mom's playthings :D she looooooooves orchids

The rabbits....well, no significance. We got the rabbits set for about 15+ years now and before they settled on the kitchen cabinet. Now they're perpetually wet and smell like fish :D

Edited by d_golem

That pond is simply beautiful! I have never seen a pond built like that, giving you the opportunity to view the fish from both above and the side. Seriously, that is a great idea! :) And, the fish are lovely as well!

Awesome pond and pics and welcome back Riz!

I agree pond design would be a really cool thing for you to get into. There must be a huge demand for original pond design and people who have the money would pay well for something unique like what you designed for your folk. That pond has a very celestial feel to it. I see the angel got missed off the final production ?

And the fish are all gorgeous, strong colors. I was thinking the fish that Man Yu says are red rainbowfish I was thinking a cross between angelfish and ryukin :rofl I suppose that would be impossible.

Anyway thanks for sharing :)

Awesome pond and pics and welcome back Riz!

I agree pond design would be a really cool thing for you to get into. There must be a huge demand for original pond design and people who have the money would pay well for something unique like what you designed for your folk. That pond has a very celestial feel to it. I see the angel got missed off the final production ?

And the fish are all gorgeous, strong colors. I was thinking the fish that Man Yu says are red rainbowfish I was thinking a cross between angelfish and ryukin :rofl I suppose that would be impossible.

Anyway thanks for sharing :)

Thx Imo :)

Don't think I can live off designing ponds alone :) and I think people will only get interested if labour is as cheap as it is in Indonesia :rolleyes:

Yep the angel got missed. I think my dad opted for the more practical approach and get the ready-made cheap spouting fishie :D