New To Board And To Baby Fish

Guest julieann75

Guest julieann75

I am new to the board and already need some suggestions. We have 4 fantails one is still quite young and the other 3 we have had about a year. We cleaned out their tank this weekend and Monday we found some unexpected items on the bottom of the tank which turned out to be a countless number of eggs. Yesterday we saw several with small black dots inside of them and a few with the tails out. Today we came home to find the majority of the eggs hatched. The problem is since we weren't planning for this to happen we only have the one aquarium and a small bowl we used to use during the tank cleaning until the 4 we have got too big to all fit comfortably even for short periods of time. Since the adults will pretty much try to eat anything they see we decided to move the babies to the bowl temporarily to keep them from being eaten. We pulled at least 40 that I can count and since it is only their first day out of their eggs they fit but I'm certain that will not last long (at least not judging by the pictures I've seen). There are still some mixed in to the regular tank. I'm looking for any suggestions for what to put in the bowl with the fry. I've noticed people talking about plants and then I saw some web pages that say they can make the water dirty and become dangerous to the fry. Any suggestions? It's a little confusing trying to read through so much information so fast.

At this point we are planning to get some of the First Bites that we saw recommended and check into the brine shrimp. Some sites also said something about algae. There was some formed on a small rock that most of them were clinging to so that's in with them. We had some algae waffers leftover from an algae eater we had but I was hesitant to put that in and overdue it.

Also, we figured out who the two parents are. The male still has some faded marks around the gills and is acting normal but the female has me a little concerned. She has pretty much taken to hiding in a corner and stays there unless she comes out to eat and then goes right back. She is a little more active today, but I just wanted to find out from anyone that actually breeds fish if that is normal behavior or if I should be concerned. Sorry to have so many questions but this is a whole new experience.

Hi Julieann and a warm welcome to kokos :exactly

Your situation now is exactly how I found this site and I did the same as you and put my first fry in a bowl. I quickly learnt that this is about the worst thing we can do for fry :(

Please take a moment to think about another set up for these fry. A bowl is not only way too small (fry die off to fit space) but also does not have a seeded sponge filter which is absolutely essential as soon as the fry begin to eat (when they are free swimming). They are very easy to make DIY SPONGE FILTER LINK HERE

Do you perhaps have a large plastic rubbermaid (10 gallons & up)? It is perfectly possible to add a filter to a rubbermaid, many people here have done this. You can also "seed" a filter very fast by taking some of the media from the main tank and using it without cleaning it in the new filter set up. Using a little of the beneficial bacteria from the main tank media will be enough to keep ammonia at bay. For fry even trace ammonia (at 0.25) kills instantly or causes swirling and sickness. It is absolutely imperative there is no ammonia in a fry set up.

Next. Water swirl. Any current at all for the first few weeks will damage fragile baby spines. Everything must be done in slow motion, changing their home will be the biggest challenge. If the rubbermaid is big enough (which it must be) lift the whole bowl carefully into the half filled rubbermaid and sink the bowl and fry very very slowly. Make sure both water in bowl and tub are the same temp and pH. The water level for fry should not be more than 6or8 inches high. Shallow but spacious is good.

You will need a turkey baster or syringe to remove ANY and ALL leftover food after feeding time. Fry take 2 hours to eat so this does tie you to the house a little for the first few weeks....Any leftover food can produce levels of ammonia that kill within 3-4 hours.

The parents: Yes females get exhausted after spawning. You need to watch her closely. I suggest you do an 80% water change (temp and pH matched) on the main tank ASAP. Unfortunately eggs can knock your cycle very badly and even a long established tank can experience dangerous nitrite spikes after eggs are released. Watch out too for fungussy (hairy) eggs. These eggs must be removed as they carry disease.

There is lots more info in the breeding forum. Here's a link to my fry journal (first 2 weeks) that may help you at this beginning stage.

:Congrats: on your fry, one thing is sure-your fish are happy and well looked after to be producing and fertlising eggs :)

Guest julieann75

Thank you for the advice. Like I said we were caught a bit off guard with this. I've had goldfish for many years and this is a first. My husband is out buying the 10 gal rubbermaid now. Thank you so much for the suggestion of the baster to get food out of the bottom. When we came home we were scratching our heads about how to safely do that without accidentally sucking out the fry. They had some small bits of left over food and were actually still eating it this afternoon. I noticed they have increased size today. Most of them are visible where yesterday it was a struggle to see them at all. Now we can at least see their outlines fairly well.

The female is also back to swimming although she's not completely back to her usual activity level. At least now she came back out from her hiding spot and is swimming more. When she isn't swimming she sits on the bottom but out in the open. We are going to do the water change for them this evening.

Can you tell me when the fry typically develop their color? The mother is a fantail calico. Two male fish have the marks on their gills. One is a all gold fantail like the mother. The other is a breed of fantail we can't figure out. When I bought him he was white with a red spot on his head. He is grown to be about 10 times the size he was when we brought him home. He's almost perfectly round where if you look at the outline of the other 3 they would look more of a triangle shape from their mouth to the middle of the body. The area near his mouth is almost flat and then he just rounds out. The spot that was red faded away and protrudes just slightly from the rest of his head and he turned all white. The part on his head that sticks forward looks almost clear. He has very long fins too. I'm curious to see what the fry will look like as they develop.

Do you think you could have an oranda? These fish are much the roundest type of body. Heres a pic of a white oranda:

Orandaredacp.jpg

There are many kinds. Some have white or yellow wen area (redcap area) too. As the fish grows the belly should get much rounder than in this pic.

As for the color questions, it depends. Your Mother fish is a calico -these fish usually develop colors first. Other fish types will take 6-8 weeks to show any color at all.

With a probable mix of 3 type parents you are in for surprises in terms of what you have. In my experience, fish that are bred accidentally do not look like their parents but have a big mix of parental features. To get replicas of parents you need 2 fish excatly alike and 2 fish that are genetically compatible. So be prepared for all colors and types, including some single tails :)

Guest julieann75

Hmm sounds like we may have a few surprises then. I have some pictures of them but I am not sure how to post pictures here. I'm not sure if the white one is that breed or not. His body has always been more rounded than long but it is possible. The coloring is correct in that picture though.

You can join a host site like photobucket.com for free and upload your pics from your computer. Then when they are in your album at photobucket choose the IMG tag and drag and paste the pic into a post.