Potted Plants In Tanks?

Guest Danicole

Guest Danicole

I know I've read before(And seen before) that people keep plants on barebottom tanks in flowerpots so they can root. Just regular terra cotta ones, right? Or will little tupperware bowls with substrate in them work too? I got a little pot for the sword I am going to put in my tank, even though it will be a bit small for it once the sword starts to grow, but I wanted to make sure :) Also, can I do a npt-style pot? Put some potting soil into the bottom of the pot with gravel on top? I know swords are really heavy root feeders, and I was thinking about doing that since root tabs are expensive =/

terracotta will work fine. people use glass, plastic (thats non toxic), and other things that will hold the substrate. i have seen water bottles cut in half and used. take a look at the pics in planted tanks section and get some more ideas there.

I just bought little plastic containers from a local dollar store for my plants, I also considered using drinking glasses. As long as the plants have a place to root and there's nothing toxic, it really doesn't matter too much :)

I just bought little plastic containers from a local dollar store for my plants, I also considered using drinking glasses. As long as the plants have a place to root and there's nothing toxic, it really doesn't matter too much :)

If you use it for goldies, there is a big chance thet they will uproot them anyway :rofl

Guest Isilme

If you use it for goldies, there is a big chance thet they will uproot them anyway :rofl

Indeed... :blink:

After much despair that they always uprooted my plants in normal gravel, I planted all my plants in pots. This, however, didn't work, because now it's even more fun for them!

Guest Danicole

I got a terra cotta one for about a dollar at home depot. Its plain without any glaze on it(since a lot of those are not food safe and I didn't want to hassle with calling the people who made it to find out if it was or not) My little fancies are still small, so I'm hoping the plant will have some time to become pretty root heavy before they get big enough to shred it up :)

And should I break down and get root tabs, or would the half potting soil/half gravel be okay? I don't want to accidentally overdose the tank on ferts and I have the feeling I would with those o.O All I need to do is get some larger stones to put over the top of the plant's gravel in there so they can't get that stuff stuck in their mouths. It's a sword, so really heavy root feeder. Also, really stupid question, but I've read of people using Jobe's fertilizer spikes in TINY portions and stick them way under the plant. Has anyone heard of/tried that that could tell me how to do it? I am pretty sure I have an old box of those sitting around the apartment someplace that I could use.

I have tried using the spikes, when I first set up my planted tropical tank. I dont use them now or any other root tabs since there is enough "debris" worked into the gravel now. They would work fine if the pieces are small and you push them way down deep in the gravel.

Guest Danicole

Would enough debris get caught in a small pot in the tank? And how much of the spike should I use at first? I know the instructions say to use 1 spike for a 4" pot(what I have) but that would WAY overdo it in constant water. Just a sliver of a stick, or a bit over a sliver? Up to a certain amount of it?

For the fert stick, I would suggest .25 (about 6.5mm) inches at most, then place 1-2 pieces per plant. I dont think a 4" pot would collect enough debris and mulm to take the place of the root tabs or fert spikes for a sword plant.

My planted tank is a tropical that has a few guppies and 3 cory cats. It originaly started with 1 male and 1 female guppy, and quickly the population exploded to over 70+. I have only gravel-vacd about 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years, usually when the fish waste and other debris builds up faster than the plants can consume it. I would gravel vac more often if the plants were not so dense, but of course would need to use the fert spikes again. Most of the plants I have are the "wonder bulbs" or grow your own bulbs that you find in most LFS.

Edited by br553