Where Would I Find...

lantern567

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that I was looking for a yellow comet goldfish. Suppose, just as a for instance, I was going to have an empty 40-gallon tank, and I would be sad to look at a tank with no goldfish in it. Just suppose... Where would I begin to look? This is a "someday" fish I want, and I am patient.

There was a beautiful yellow comet in last weeks Dandy Orandas auction. Depending on how much you are willing to spend, you could contact Ken at Dandy Orandas and find out if he has another one.

I have a yellow common/comet mix that I found in a "feeder fish" tank about 5 years ago. He was an olive green color when I first got him but now is a yellowish color with a white belly. He is the one in my sig.

like acupunk said, if you got the money, buy quality. but i also dont see anything wrong with going from store to store repeatedly until you find one for said empty 40 gal tank that may one day be empty. are there any shows coming up in your area? have you found any type of freshwater aquarium society there? try asking the lfs o order some in, requesting some yellows. the worst they could say is no....then you would just have to be patient and keep looking. good luck in you hunt

Thanks for the suggestion Acupunk. I see that "Dandy Orandas" is the same as "Goldfish Connection" - did I get that right? I just signed up for the mailing list at Goldfish Connection. I am almost afraid Ken might have another one, I will have to debate whether I'm really ready yet. At least I know they sometimes come up for sale.

Br, I love the yellow fish in your signature. Olive? I have a tankful of olive babies, which I think have a white mother. Maybe one will turn yellow? Their bellies are white, and from a certain angle the olive turns to gold. I can hope, can't I? :unsure:

Emptywallet - it's kind of fun having a fish to look for when I go to the fish shops. It would be such a thrill to find one. Maybe I need to expand my horizons a bit. I do ask about yellow goldfish wherever I go, and I usually get blank stares and I'm told they've never heard of such a fish.

Thanks all. I think finding one (or better, two for the 40-gallon) will be fun.

The yelow comets/commons came from a group that was brought in recently - and most were auctioned off about a month ago........ it seems to me that they originated somewhere in the NE....... hummmmmmmmm......

I would ask Ken. But then look around, too..... there is someone out there with acre ponds of these fish - for that is what happened. They did a net pull and acutioned off all that were pulled.

Ken, of Dandy Orandas, runs the auction that is hosted by GFC. Ken also has dozens and dozens and dozens more fish that he has imported recently that are NOT in the auction. If you are looking for something specific, your best bet would be to give him a call and tell him. He is one of the most honest, easy-going guys around - and will do his best to please you.

I posted something at our local koi club forum, but no responses on yellow goldfish in the northeast. I also spoke to Ken at Dandy Orandas, and ordered his video. He said he currently has some yellow and yellow-and-white goldfish.

Is this how it starts? Fish obsession? :blink:

A week or so ago my husband was saying maybe we should keep some of the fry in the tank over the winter. This is the same guy who used to complain that I only spent time with the fish (when I first started and was making more mistakes than I care to admit.) Now he likes them a lot and doesn't want to see an empty tank either. But as it turns out he doesn't think we should get more fish... I was sort of thinking of having some really, really special fish that we kept inside. "No fish that look like golfballs," he says. He's sort of kidding, I know he'd love any pet we had, but both of us really like the single-tailed fish, too. I will have so show him the video. :rolleyes:

In the pond today, I saw about 5 fry just swimming around, poking about. Up until now they must have been hiding in the rocks and plants along the side, but now they are getting braver. I am scared how many there are in the pond, so I can see his point. :unsure: