Quarentine Update

Hmmm I don't know if this is the right place for this but let's hope so!!

Three of my fish just completed QT. Then I got two more and I am starting the process for them. I am noticing that salt is really hurting my cycles. Everytime salt is added I am getting a bump in the cycles. Once the salting is over with, the cycle picks up fast. For example, Miranda & Samantha have been in their tank for over a month. During the salting weeks I would see ammonia & nitrite. Now that the salt is out of the water, cycle is fine. Prazi has seemed to have NO effect on any cycles.

Kahlua & Malibu's tank has majorly stalled. I am back to higher ammonia, and only trace levels of nitrite. They have been at 0.3% salt for 3 days. I have been doing daily water changes and I figure I can keep that up until 2 weeks is up and the salt can be removed. It also works out for while giving them the prazi because I would be doing partial water changes anyway. I am hoping that like in the past, once the salt is done with, the cycle bounces back. The highest the ammonia goes is 1ppm. And I believe based on my timing of water changes, & adding Prime, that is is always in non toxic form.

The tank I have questions with is ANGEL'S. There's a back story. She started out in the 29 gallon. That is when she got sick with flukes and I started to treat with Prazi. I moved her to a 5 gallon QT for three days. During those three days I dosed the tank with prazi, at least twice. And the salt was at 0.3%. Then I got the new 10 gallon and she finished her QT in there. Once I got Kahlua and Malibu, Angel was moved back to the 5 gallon QT. ( As my large tanks are not ready) It was empty between June 26 and July 17. I really did NOTHING with that tank during that period other than add ammonia to keep the cycle. I did a 100% water change before adding Angel back in. Since Angel WAS in there while she had flukes, I know for a fact that tank was exposed. Like I said, I treated it with prazi, then left it empty. Then gave Angel three extra days of prazi in there as well, after being moved back. Is this enough?? Or do I need to go longer? I am pretty sure the salt was at 0.3% the entire time it was empty. I see no records of any water changes indicating that I removed the salt. However I wasn't AS good at keeping records then. Pretty good, but now I record EVERYTHING! I would hate to have QTed Angel in the 10 just to put her back in the 5 if everything has not died off. I considered just doing another QT period for her in the 5 gallon tank, but the poor thing has been thru so much. I want to give her a break. She has had some level of salt in her water for over a month now. After the 0.3% was done, I still left 0.1% because of the nitites and the scrape she got. Last night I did a full water change and did not add back any salt. I added one more dose prazi though just in case. Should I just assume everything is safe? Or should I continue with prazi and/or salt?

If nitrites are at zero and the scrape seems to have healed, I would not add any more salt. You don't need any more than 2 weeks at 0.3% salt (more than that becomes a source of stress) and constant 0.1% salt makes pathogens salt resistant.

I think that the tank should be okay as far as flukes are concerned. Flukes need a living host in order to survive. Exactly how long it takes for them to die off without a host depends on temperature, but I would think that 6/26 - 7/17 would be long enough to be safe, particularly if the tank has been treated with prazi. Hopefully Trinket will be along to confirm, but I think that you'll be okay with the way things are.

Thank you Kristen this is exactly what I was thinking/hoping to hear!

I double checked everything for complete accuracy. Angel was moved into the 5 gallon on June 21. A dose of prazi was given on June 24. Another dose possibly the 25th. (That day my notes are STRANGE!) The 26th Angel was moved into the 10 gallon. The 5 gallon was left empty. She continued her prazi in the 10 gallon. She was moved back to the 5 gallon on July 17th. I dosed the 5 gallon with Prazi on July 17, 18, and 19. None on the 20, 21, then one final dose on July 20.

As for salt she started salt at 0.3% on June 24th, and stayed there for 2 weeks exactly. On July 8th-July 9th it was removed with partial water changes. She had the 10th & 11th completely salt free, and that's when I noticed a bump in the cycle and there were nitrites. So I put the salt at 0.1% to help with those. When she was moved back to the 5 gallon on the 17th there was a bump in there as well so I left the salt at 0.1% because of nitrites. She got the scrape on the 19th so between that AND the nitrites I continued with the 0.1% salt. I removed the possible cause. The scrape is ALMOST gone. The cycle is ALMOST back to normal. Ammonia has been zero the whole time. Nitrite was 0.50ppm on July 21. Nitrite was 0.25ppm on July 22. I removed the salt then because I thought she could use the break and today there was a TRACE of nitrite. The faintest change in color. I am guess about 0.1ppm. I assume/hope tomorrow they will be completely back to zero. So I THINK the scrape and nitrites are close enough to being gone to leave her with fresh unsalted water. (That will be what I do, unless Trinket pops on with other advice.) Thanks for your input. It's always good to have someone agree with your actions. I still like to double check : )

K in case anyone is following this thread here is my PM to Trinket and her response. Acupunk is right again! : )

I had a question in water quality. Kristen talked to me about it but said to double check with you. I know you have your hands full right now (both on the board and in personal life) so rather than have you sort through the threads I thought I would ask on here. I can make it quicker (I hope).

Because of the new orandas Angel is back temporarily to the tank I first treated her in when she had flukes. (still working on the larger tanks) I am trying to make sure the tank is now safe of any flukes.

She got sick on June 21 and was moved to a 5 gallon QT. I gave her two doses of prazi in there. Then moved her to a 10 gallon because the cycle had stalled a bit and I wanted her in a larger volume of water. She continued her salt at 0.3% in there for two weeks. And finished out her 4 week prazi course in there. The 5 gallon was left empty from June 26-July 17, kept cycled with ammonia. Thats when I got the two new orandas and they need the 10 gallon. I moved Angel back to the 5 gallon (cycle is safe). Since I wasn't totally sure that one was clear of flukes I did an extra course of Prazi in the 5 gallon. I did 3 days on, 2 days off, then 3 days on. Was this enough to kill off anything in that tank? The tank remained at 0.3% salt while running empty just to be safe (I am 95% sure. My fish logs have gotten better and better. They weren't as good back then but nothing suggests that I removed the salt). Kristen says she thinks it was enough but she's not entirely sure how long it takes for flukes to die off in an empty tank..

No rush. This isn't at all an emergency!

I think the 5 gallon is safe from flukes for sure. Flukes do not survive without a host (larger live creature like snail or fish) for as long as 2 weeks. 2 weeks is tops for any kind of fluke to survive once hatched. Hatch out eggs? Well, they can overwinter a long time and no one can say exactly how long. We can only do so much...kill all live forms and as many hatch outs as we can.

The real key point to remember about these critters is that fish can shake them off in small numbers with strong immunity. The flukes will not go on to breed on a strong fish so the fluke population dies off/remains very low and not a threat. When the fish gets stressed, the slime coat loses its ability to keep the fluke numbers down so the flukes multiply like crazy and then the fish is overwhelmed...

So keeping numbers of flukes to a minimum is top goal and yearly repeats of prazi may be advisable if you are bringing in new fish with new strains of flukes.

I have a closed system now (no more new fish for me!) and since I have done my last prazi course I wont be doing any more prazi. When a system is closed (and you have scoped to find no flukes) there is no need to.

I hope this answers the Q. If not buzz me again- no probs :D !! :heart