Uv Sterilizer Housing

Hey guys,

Since UV radiation is dangerous when in contact with humans, is the UV Sterilizer Housing enough to shield us from such radiation? Is it safe to put one's hands in the water while the UV is running?

Thanks.

Yes, it is safe. My UV sterilizer is housed in a tube made of thick black PVC pipe. It hangs outside the tank, like a hang on back filter. On each end of the pipe there is a clear area (so you can see if the lamp is working or not) that is shielded with a special film. The UV rays only come into contact with the water that is inside the UV unit, not the water that is in the tank, so it is perfectly safe to put your hands in the water with the UV lamp on.

What if the tubes from my canister don't fit the UV Sterilizer? The outtake from my canister is 1/2", and the adaptors on the UV are 5/8". Is there some kind of adapter I can buy to convert the hose size?

Otherwise I would have to connect the intake of the canister (5/8") to the UV Sterilizer.