My Guppies

Lately I've been noticing my guppies are really getting big and beautiful :D

I managed to get a few clear shots of them today. I'm really falling for these little fish....maybe I'll have to put some females in the tank soon.

I really like the color this guy is developing on his body.

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

I love guppies they remind me of little babies that are dressed to their best. Yours are absolutely stunning. I have always just wanted just 3 in a 5 gallon tank but never found the right one. but I think I will keep looking cuz I really want a green and blue one named Fabeio.

Have I ever mentioned that you take excellent p?ctures, Chrissy?

Thanks :) In the meantime, there were about 10 that got deleted. I'm trying to learn more about taking good pictures, but I'll admit I don't have much of an attention span when it comes to reading about photography.

Are you sure you haven't enhanced the colours with a paintbrush?

No, but I did install a new light last month and what a difference that makes!

They really are so pretty and fun to watch. I have three of them, the one I didn't get a pic of is orange and spends allllll his time following the other two around. I'm still not sure if he's bothering them or not :P

Chrissy they are really beautiful!!!! I still have absolutely no knowledge when it comes to tropicals. But Shane's sister Tanya bought two fish and I gave her a 5 gallon tank. One died, and now left is on Platy. It's been doing well in there for over a month. She didn't even make it to ONE water change before she decided it was "boring" and she didn't want to do it. So I took over (didn't want the poor thing being neglected). When it comes to tropicals I am noticing that it seems like it's best to have more than one of the same type. Do guppies go with platies? Or would it be best to stick with another platy in that tank. I just think yours are sooo pretty and if they work together I would love to get one.

I really love tropicals, I've been keeping them longer than goldies. The thing about them is, once the tank is well established they really don't need much work (not as 'exciting', we'll say, as goldies).

When it comes to tropicals I am noticing that it seems like it's best to have more than one of the same type. Do guppies go with platies? Or would it be best to stick with another platy in that tank. I just think yours are sooo pretty and if they work together I would love to get one.

Now it's my turn to encourage you to get some fish! Yes, for many species it's better to have more than one, espeically tetras and live bearers (guppies, platties, mollies). They feel more comfortable in groups. If you do get another another plattie, make sure you know the sex because they will make babies...fast! The same goes for guppies, that's why I only keep males ;)

You could probably put 1 or 2 more platties, and maybe even 2 guppies in the 5 gallon once it's well cycled. Generally live bearers go together well. I've mixed them with tetras as well (my guppies live with tetras) but sometimes they can get their fins nipped.

Ooh this is really fun!!!! This makes things really exciting.

The platy I have right now is a female. Someone else showed me how to tell so I can try to get another female..

When I first put the fish in the tank I used filter media from a different tank.. It cycled in less than a week fully. For the last few weeks it's been perfectly cycled! Now here's the question. If I were to buy some more fish, I need to QT them. Technically I just have the one in there right now, but I wouldn't want anything to happen to her. So is this something I would be best doing AFTER my goldies are out of QT and I have an extra tank? It kinda seems funny to QT them in a 10 and then move them to a 5! And I've asked this before, but with trops what is the QT procedure?

You want to QT trops for SURE! In case you haven't guessed, I've had some non-QT tropical disasters.

Live bearers, especially mollies (not as sure about guppies and platties) can actually live in brackish tanks, so salting them during QT is quite alright. You can also use prazi, but I'm not sure how common flukes are in trops compared to goldies. Usually I just salt them and watch them closely.

Thank Chrissy! I actually asked some similar questions in the thread I started when I first got the platy. I've gotten a bunch of different suggestions. Here's the link in case you feel like taking a look and helping me sort out the right from wrong haha. You don't have to, but I would love you forever! LOL

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=70333

I'm sure as with goldfish it can be a matter of opinion too?

I just took a read through :)

I do tend to agree that even salting isn't entirely necessary. Just keep a very close eye during QT. They look the same as goldies if they have ich, etc. The biggest problem I've had is mystery die offs. In the 'old days' before I would QT, I'd put a few new fish in the tank, then either have 1 or 2 fish die every week for a month, or ..this happened once....nearly every fish dies within a few days :(

When you QT at least you can notice any weird behavior, etc and prevent spread to your healthy tank and fish. There's nothing worse than having to 'nuke' a cycled tank.

The good news is I am the queen of having empty back up tanks! LOL At this point I still have one five gallon that's empty, so I could borrow some media and use that as a trop QT tank! LOL Wooo hooo!!! I'd like to wait as long as possible, just that way it's less work while I am still QTing the new orandas.. But who knows, if I end up in a store it could be tomorrow LOL

Chrissy if I do salt, and/or prazi are the levels the same?? I am pretty sure I read that with prazi you do a half dose. What about salt? Thanks for reading through for me : )