Hey Daryl

spider man

Daryl, did you get any of those calico ryukins from the last dandy oranda auction. I kept thinking of your Sterling fish when I saw some of those guys. Those broadtails were fantastic

I would have loved to have gotten one. There was one specific one on the DVD that I really liked - and would have gotten (that and a black Ranchu), but I did not get the DVD until late Saturday, the auction started Sunday when I was dealing with my new grandson and both fish were gone. That was that. right now money is rahter tight ( grandson's surgery), so it is probably just as well, but I thought I could have swung the one Ryukin!

Oh, well. Someone else had better appreciate them!

I am still thinking hard about getting a sweet Lionhead..... maybe. I may also take a closer look at the other calico Ryukins that are left and see if any are what I want. My original impression was that they were not, but perhaps there is something there that would fit in my program. I really would like a calico BT female.

:)

I hope your grandchild is doing better. Tonight there is going to be another auction from Ken. May be we will be luckier this time. I hoping those smaller broad tail ryukins will be on this auction. Those really large ones like your Sterling are out of my price range

YOu do know that Ken has a number of fish that are not going to be in the auction, right? He takes a selection - a group of "Cherries" and real eye catchers as well as others that are a good cross section of the general population for auction, but he has about 2 times more at home, just waiting.

If you are looking for a smaller calico Ryukin BT, he has quite a number of them that will not be auctioned. Call him and ask him. You may be very pleased.

I am thinking hard about calling and seeing if any of those are females.......

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Think I'll save my money and ask him for a black ranchu. See anything that catches your eye at this auction? I wouldn't mind getting a short tailed ryukin.

Daryl, have called and ordered anything from Ken yet. I have watch the dvd like three times and cannot decide what I want, still eye balling some stuff on the auction. What do you think about that bronze ranchu or that white and red splatter broad tail ryukin. I know that you have a great eye for broad tails

I am ordering a set of three black and white bubble eyes.... the little guys. I am setting up a tank in the Altzheimer's ward where my MIL is living. I think those active little curious fish ought to make a real interest piece for them, there. Besides, I suspect that they might be fun to breed in the future!

I am looking at those cute little "black and white" standard tail Ryukins in tank #17. There was one in there that really stood out - but when I called, he had just sold it. Someone called and wanted Ken to pick the best one - and he did. There are others with potnetial to grow to be a real stunning fish, so I am looking at them and watching them carefully. I may find one of those..... As a fully grown fish, those could be REAL eyecatchers!

There is a nice calico Ranchu in tank 27.... and a good looking R&W in tank 31.....

I really like the quality of the classic Lionheads in tank 33 - good lookers. Except they are single anal. I know most American judges do not worry about anal fins..... but they do give me pause. I prefer to go double - and pass on the singles. That is just me being.....well, anal, perhaps. They are BEAUTIFUL fish with a lot of potential!

I have even given a passing thought to the Calico PomPom Eggfish. Those are some HANDSOME fish! They, too, would have made a great tank for the Altzheimer's ward - and been real show pieces in the future. A couple of them are really striking. I have a big black and white male PomPom Eggfish that would enjoy a mate, too....... Would that I had a BIG budget to order fish!!!!

Pretty much all of Ken's BT calico Ryukins are gone, this time. There was just one that was really something -but it apparently was sold in the last auction before I even saw it. The reds in tank 10 are amazing, though, if you are looking for an eye-catching quality BT Ryukin! Wow.

I recently discovered that I have some friends who have bid on one in the present auction for me. I do not know their ceiling bid, but there is someone else who was bidding. My friends said they were going to buy the fish for me, but the other bidder took it up just barely past the "Reserve" so the "buy now" feature went away. We will see what happens on Sunday. It looks to be a fish I really would not mind having!

Daryl, I bet the fish your friends are trying to get for you is one of those really nice large red and white ranchus, good luck. I got my eye on that white broadtail with the red splatter, but like you my budget is tight, who knows I may still go for it

GOod grief - yes. Someone else bid on it today - and drove the price WAAAAAAYYY up. I am concerned about the ceiling bid my friends used!!!! :thud:yikes The fish is higher than it was if they had just bought it in the first place.

I hate it when that happens.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.....

Well, if it goes higher and I lose the fish I will be sad - but not suprised. And..... it means that Ken will make a good profit - always a good thing! (Especially when it is someone else that I am irritated with that has to pay it! ;) )

Let me guess, lot 23 that super nice ranchu with the great tail tuck and 355.00 price tag. She is a beautiful fish. Did you call him and order the bubble eyes, they are really cool too. I am calling him today, looking at those calico ranchus, red and whites ranchus, and lion heads that you mentioned. Still may go for one of those auction fish. Good luck with getting what you want

Yeah - well it was "Buy it now" for $325. so I told my relatives to do it. They took 20 minutes confirming that lot 23 was the fish I wanted and some guy ran the price up just until the reserve went off and the "BUy it now" feature went away. Then he sat on it.... My friends bid a $375 ceiling on it for me, apparently, but someone else came in yesterday and bid it up to that. I do not understand why my $375 is not as good as their $375... I would think it would have to be $380.....????????

Anyway.... too rich for my blood. Particularly right now. I am going to pass on the bubbleeyes and the other little fish, too. There is no sense in paying huge shipping fees for a few little fish.....so I guess no new fish this time for me. I may take a look at the DVD, but if a fish does not really just send me buzzing, I am not going to spend the money on it. I do not think I saw anything else in there what I just HAD TO HAVE.....so....

I hope you can get what you want....

I know that ken wants to change the format system being used on thd goldfishconnection web site. He especially does not like the fact that once the fish is bought it disappears. I have also heard of stories where one bid was accepted and the other was not even though both bids are the same. Too bad you did not get that ranchu, with your breeding skills you would have done wonders with that fish

I am glad that Ken gets more money for the fish. That is a good thing. :) But it does annoy me to no end that the fellow that took it up past the "Buy Now" feature was not all that interested in the fish - and did not bid beyond that. He was just a spoiler for others. That is just..... mean.

Oh, well. Yeah - that fish did appear to have the features I was looking to put into my line. I needed the back - I was not particularly needing the wen and, to tell the truth - that fish has a bump on it's back right at the peduncule. It may not show as well as some may think (depends on the venue and the judge). It would have been great for a breeding program.

The red Ranchu above it (lot 22) does not have nearly the nice back (but the width is nice) and has way too heavy of a wen for my tastes. It is supposedly a better fish - and with many US judges probably would do better at show, but it just does not do it for me.

I firmly believe that, with a few exceptions, there will always be another fish that will "fill the bill". All I have to do is wait. Sterling was one of a kind. I wanted that big Black Ranchu - but that one went before I even knew it was up in auction (I did not get a notofication of the auction until all the first fish were bought and gone!) Such is life and auctions. For all I know, the big black could have been so old or so pumped that it never would breed right..... who knows? You have to pay your money and take your chances.

It is not highly likely, but I suppose I may find something of value in the bins of fish at the show we have coming up in a few weeks. (I wonder if I will see that fish here? HA.... if I do, I can beat it hands down.) I will take the time to sort through the hundreds of 1-2 inchers at the show. Sometimes there are some ones with REAL potential hiding in those big spawns of fish...... you never know what you can find if you take the time to sort them all. Those little guys can usually be had for $25 bucks or so..... worth taking a chance on a number of them.

I agree with you regarding the ranchus I favor the ones that do not necessarily have the largest wens but have great tail tucks and curved backs etc, more in line with what you see with the traditional japanese ranchus. If you do not mind can you give feedback on the all white broadtail and the all white with red splatter as far as quality. I pretty good with ranchus, lionheads, and orandas, but have not quite developed the eye for the broadtails, thank you so much for your time

I looked at them again. I certainly wish I could have gotten that smaller red/black/white BT in tank 68.... but I suppose it went in the first auction, huh? I never even saw so many of those fish they went so fast. I really dislike that stupid auction program that does not even let you see what you missed. Grrrrrrrrr...

I digress.....

Tank 10.... there is a REALLY nice BT red. The one that is solid red but has a small white block in the back of it's tail. That is a sweet fish. It has a pretty nice body that would lend itself to body buillding nicely - and could be groomed well.

Tank 13 has a couple of good Standard tail Ryukins. Be careful of beakiness.

Tank 14 - very nice R&W shorttails.

Tank 15 - the white one - not the red eyed one and not the one with the yellow head (lie the one in lot #35 in present auction) - is the best white broadtail he has. That one is really nice. It has a good mixture of a nice tail, good tail angle, good body that lends itself to building and a nice conformation all around.

Tank 22 has some really nice short tail...

I do not like the fish in tank 58

Tank 59.... I like the white in tank 15 much better.

Tank 65 The all white BT looks pretty good. IT has a nice body and fair tail. The one with the red on the front pecs, however, is the better one in that tank. I think that is lot # 32 in the present auction.

Tank 69.... There is a nice solid red - good for building.

Overall, I would take the White in tank 15 first with the red in tank 10 as the best BT he has - barring the smaller rbw in tank 68 - that is a real really showy fish! I think it is gone, though.

These are jmo.

Tank 71... the one in 10 is better.

Lot 29 in the auction... I have not identified that specific fish in the DVD, but I am concerned about the spread of the tail. Many of these broadtails were derived from Tosakin rather than Veiltail. They tend to have very flat spreads of the tank - often with curls up the sides from the Tosakin genetics. They have instabilities as they grow bigger and often the tail will almost flip up over the fish.... not a good thing. Lot number 30 appears both on the DVD and in the auction photo to be a better fish. I cannot see, well, the extent of the twist Ken reports. You would have to ask about that.

thank you so much for your time and feedback. I have noticed that too regarding more of a tosakin look to the tails in some of these broadtails. I would imagine that a tosakin like tail on such a large and heavy fish would not be a good thing. May be some day I will be able to groom a broadtail like your Sterling. You have done a great job grooming him

Hey Daryl, new auction is going to start on Sunday, are you going to try and get something. By the way I called Ken regarding the feedback you gave me on those broadtails, unfortunately they were all sold

Shoot - even the red one? I was toying with the idea of getting a red or a white. Oh, well.

I wonder what he has up his sleeve (or in the tank) for this week? I think - but do not konw - that most of the cherries are gone......

Hmmmmm.....

Once again - I will not be around SUnday night so am forced to see what is left on Monday morning. I wish that silly "disappear when purchased" software thing was GONE GONE. I have no idea what has come and gone in the past.

Ken has been VERY busy - as have I - and we have not taken the time to really talk. I am still thnking about getting a trio of those little bubbleeyes and setting up a tank in the Altzheimer's ward. Those guys would catch the eye of anyone! It all depends on what else I can find to make shipping worth it - or maybe someone who is driving up that way can carry them for me....

Let me know if you decide on anything. I am eager to live vicariously through others! ;) I will let you know if I talk to Ken and hear of any gems.

I will keep you informed regarding what sells right away. Ken seems to mix his auction fish with fish that are in the regular show room. I swear that there are fish on the auction that I missed on the video. I wish we lived closer we could share shipping cost but Miami and Chicago are pretty far apart

#8 is gone. #14 is gone. I wonder what they were.....

The linteresting colored Ranchu is cool. That one is not on the DVD..... I have a semi rule that I make for myself, though. I am loathe to buy something because of a color pattern - for colors rarely remain.....

I guess we can go to the goldfish connection goldfish picture site. All of the fish in the auction are automatically placed there. I like that ranchu too but like you do not buy on color alone. I like the chocolate moore and the bronze ranchu. The broadtails are nice but I noticed more of the tosakin tail in them. I also like the grey moore

Someone mentioned, before, that the fish that disappeared so quickly could be seen on the photo archives. I tried that, but the fish were not identified as to what they were or when they were auctioned. For all I know, I was looking at fish that were auctioned years ago.

I really like the selection of moors in this group. I, unfortunately, do not keep moors. For space sake, I have limited myself to just a few breeds so I can concentrate on breeding and grooming them. If I were interested, I love the pompom Eggfish (he has some really nice ones), as well as those moors. The "blue" -gray Moor is really something. I hope he keeps his color. That is eye-catching!

Ok, I am done with this auction. Bring on the next one.

;)