Sign in to follow this  
drkslvr

New 30 Gallon Tank!

I did a total tank transfer for my black moors, from a 10 gallon to a 30 gallon (Yes, 30, not 29), and it worked wonderfully. Their cycle didn't miss a beat, and they seem happier than ever. When I first got them, they were hardly more than fry and had more than enough room all four in their 10 gallon. See?

IM000334.jpg

But since then, they've doubled in length and quadrupled in body mass! It was time for a new tank. It took me awhile to get my hands on one, but I'm very happy with what I got:

DSCF0400.jpg

Hmmm... I kind of like the map of Mars in the background. If I had an extra, I could use it as their background and they could be space fish! Anyhow, they're all loving their new home, and I'm loving how much less work it is to keep up their water quality! Of course, getting the plants anchored all back down in the gravel (they came loose this morning when I moved the filters to the same side of the tank...) will require me to go dig out my snorkel and face mask, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

DSCF0403.jpg

Here we have Tchaikovsky (left) and Tolstoy (right) exploring their new home.

DSCF0399.jpg

And here is a great picture showing both the fish and the goodies in their tank. The tough guy leading the gang in this picture is Tchaikovsky, and the two backing him up are Anastasia (lower left) and Tolstoy (lower right). Trotsky is hiding in the fake plants, with just his tail visible. Can you find him?

I'm thinking about additions for the future. Right now, the things I'm considering are:

**another 20 inch plant and a 15 inch plant that both came with the tank. both are still in their original packaging, but they changed the package style since they were made so the store would see through me if i tried to trade them for something else.

**a clay pot or maybe a glass vase.

**a bubble curtain or two, or maybe a nifty little bubble doughnut.

**a small (~8") hollow "log", or maybe even a big (~12") one!

Which do you guys think would be nice additions?

The tank looks great! Looks like they are loving the extra swimming space. I really like the logs. Have them in most of my tanks.

Looks great wont be long and they well need a bigger thank. hehe Gratz on the new tank.

awesome tank!!! I love the last pick ..looks like a boy band poster...but of moores instead... :rofl

they may have the look, but they don't got the talent. i came home yesterday and surprised them while they were practicing. they're awful! it's no wonder Trotsky dosen't want to join their band.

Looks great wont be long and they well need a bigger thank. hehe Gratz on the new tank.

that's what i'm afraid of. what if they double in length again in the next six months? there's no way I can have a 52 gallon in my dorm room, and it would really stink to have to do daily water changes on this one!

What a fun bunch of fish! :D The new tank looks wonderful :thumb:

I think that one of your tall plants would look good in the tank, maybe in place of one of the shorter ones? And a log would be neat, too. I say definetly add a bubble wand/curtain. One like this: bubble%20wand.jpg

Guest nimajneb
awesome tank!!! I love the last pick ..looks like a boy band poster...but of moores instead... :rofl

Have they recently formed or is this just another one of the recently popular money spinning 'come-back' tours? They must be doing OK though cos they've gone from the bars and clubs(10g) to stadium(30g) tours....

... Altogether now...

"Everybody....yeeeeaaahhh.....rock your body....yeaaahhhh....everybody....Black Moors Back Alright!!"

The tank looks sooooo beautiful!!!!! Aww they really must have been SOO little when you first got them.. how sweet.

Your pics are awesome by the way..

Everybody....yeeeeaaahhh.....rock your body....yeaaahhhh....everybody....Black Moors Back Alright!!"

Wooo hooo! I still love that song!!! : )

Paint.NET, the nifty, free photo editor I use, added some new features, and I've just been waiting for an excuse to try them out. I'd say that making a tour poster for my goldfish was a pretty legit reason. :P Don't you wish were as well-traveled as those goldfish? It's okay. I do too.

TchaikovskyandtheBlackNotes.jpg

--- And thanks to anyone and everyone who put forward suggestions for what to add to my tank. I appreciate your advice!

Edited by drkslvr

great upgrade in tank sizes. they still got some time in the 30, cause they are small yet. keep checking the water conditions though. ya still might be doing more w/c than you would like as they keep gaining in mass, as you know, mass in size causes more output of the bad kind lol. ya might want to check into two 20 gal reg tanks and put them side by side. shouldnt be that much wider than the one you have now. plus they will have their 10 gals and you wont get bashed by some people round here for not following the rule of thumb, carp i said that out loud.

on a side note, when is the band coming to oklahoma city, you didnt put dates lol

I love the poster :D

Will they tour Europe? :gcar:

That poster is awesome :rofl:D .

Your 30 gallon is sooooo clear they look soo happy and healthy.

I love the poster :D

Will they tour Europe? :gcar:

their manager says they're not making as much money as they expected from the tour, so we'll have to see if they stay together. even if the band makes it, it may still be a year or two till they hit europe. touring takes a lot out of you. :rofl

congrats on the new tank it looks great! :)

beautiful...I totally love the tank...cute moors u have there...

I just found this post, I love the tank .... just black moors' it looks great. Congrats on the new tank.

That's a gorgeous tank and handsome fish you got there!! I bet that bubble wall will make it look even more fabulous!

Nice job!

cutie moorlies.. hahahaha.. :D and nice tank...

:kewlpics: more :please