Aquarium Fan

We've all been lamenting, me included, about the hot weather and our tank water being so hot. I was cruising around online today to try to find a clip on fan for my aquarium, when I came upon this. Very cool. I just ordered it, but, of course, have not received it yet to be able to comment on it, but I will when I get it. Thought y'all would like to know about it.

Ebay Aquarium Fan

aquariumfan.jpg

I know, it does, doesn't it? The rinky dink rig I have set up now looks ridiculous and has the whole area a mess. And as I have my two 10 gallons next to each other, I figure I can put one clip on each of the tanks so that the fan straddles both and cools both at the same time. The shipping kicks the price up some, but actually no more than the price of regular clip on fans I had been looking at. So, for the same price, I get something that looks good and is actually made for aquariums.

I bought a cheap stand the other day that will hold up to 75 gallons, and I am doing the same thing. Putting my two 10 gallons next to each other. The problem is that the room they are going in is the HOTTEST room in the house, so if this works out I love your idea of using it on both.

Well, this is to report that I received my tank fan and have it installed. It says it's only for up to an 80L tank and I can see this limit because the fan does not have a strong flow like a regular room fan. It creates a very light breeze, so for a 60 gallon tank, a quick cooling is certainly not a possibility, but, hopefully, over time, it will still cool the water satisfactorily. Any drop in temperature is welcome. It would definitely be perfect for the small qt tank however.

What I most especially like about it is its convenience in clipping to the side of the tank without all the silly rigging up and positioning that you have to do with a regular room fan. That makes this the most desireable thing about the fan. There is one design flaw that baffles me though. The fan is adjustable so that you can angle it, but only to 90 degrees. If you want to angle the fan down toward the water, which, hello!, is the way you'd want to angle it, you have to put the tightening screws on the water side of the tank instead of on the outside of the tank. If you put the tightening screws on the outside of the tank, you would have the fan blowing upwards; pointless, so I'm not certain what the designers were thinking with that one. There's no problem with having to put the tightening screws in the water, though, as they are just plastic, but, it's just testament to a not well thought out design. Also, there are little "cushion" things on the ends of the screws where they butt up against the tank as you tighten the screws. Probably for the smaller tanks, you could leave these on, but for a larger tank, I had to remove them so the clips would fit over the tank wall. This didn't create any problems, though, and the fan still clips securely without issue.

Overall, because of its convenience, I would buy more.

Edited by lynda441

Well, this is to report that I received my tank fan and have it installed. It says it's only for up to an 80L tank and I can see this limit because the fan does not have a strong flow like a regular room fan. It creates a very light breeze, so for a 60 gallon tank, a quick cooling is certainly not a possibility, but, hopefully, over time, it will still cool the water satisfactorily. Any drop in temperature is welcome. It would definitely be perfect for the small qt tank however.

What I most especially like about it is its convenience in clipping to the side of the tank without all the silly rigging up and positioning that you have to do with a regular room fan. That makes this the most desireable thing about the fan. There is one design flaw that baffles me though. The fan is adjustable so that you can angle it, but only to 90 degrees. If you want to angle the fan down toward the water, which, hello!, is the way you'd want to angle it, you have to put the tightening screws on the water side of the tank instead of on the outside of the tank. If you put the tightening screws on the outside of the tank, you would have the fan blowing upwards; pointless, so I'm not certain what the designers were thinking with that one. There's no problem with having to put the tightening screws in the water, though, as they are just plastic, but, it's just testament to a not well thought out design.

Overall, because of its convenience, I would buy more.

I just hunted this thread down to suggest on another forum about trying this fan ..(don't worry I didn't link the thread just the ebay link )...and when I came back here it was !! :rofl

See?! I knew you were looking for it! lol! Hopefully it will work for that person you suggested it to. Where was the thread?

at first I thought countrylovah posted it ..or you ..I could not remember.I just looked in your profile and looked through your posts after I looked through countrylovahs and there it was I posted the link in the puffer forum ..poor guy lives in the mojave desert ..he didn't have money for a chiller..so I knew someone posted this niffty fan :D

Ah hah! I would never have looked in that forum as I don't have puffers. I'm gonna take a look at it!

I KNOW!!!! I never really gave them much thought! I always liked their shape and look, but after reading some of those threads, they just seem so cool! But, with regard to your particular guy in the mojave desert, which thread was that?

Ah hah! I see! Not Kokos.... another forum! Okay. Well, make sure to let him know my comments on it. I've had my fan running on my 60 gallon for 5 hours now today and it's dropped 2 degrees, so for a small fan on a big tank, that's not bad, so for a 30 gallon, it should work pretty decently.

I am curious to see how many degrees it will drop after it's been on for a longer period!! Glad that you are for the most part happy with it though.. Hey Lynda can you post a picture of the way it looks set up on your tank??

at first I thought countrylovah posted it ..or you ..I could not remember.I just looked in your profile and looked through your posts after I looked through countrylovahs

OMG I have done this way too many times!! I've sat there searching though your posts Heidi looking for a certain one, then finding it to be Kristens. I have sat searching though Vickie's on more than one occasion looking for a particular post and STILL can't find the one I am looking for! At this point I don't even NEED it anymore I just WANT to find it! lol I try to save the ones I think will be useful in the future, but it always seems to be AFTER the fact that I realize I want to find the post and haven't saved it LOL

Per your request, Sue, here are some pics of the fan attached to the aquarium (and Jackson wondering what's going on!):

View of the outside back of the fan:

AquaFan2.jpg

View of the screws inside the tank:

AquaFan1.jpg

And here are two shots showing a couple different angles the fan has. It can go from 90 degrees down to 0 degrees, but only in the one direction (toward the screws).

AquaFan3.jpg

AquaFan4.jpg

Thanks Lynda!! That's pretty cool the way it adjusts! haha Jackson looks so cute.. He's all "whaaaat is going on?"..

The only problem I can see with using the fans, or even trying to cool the tanks in general is that we have the cats... I am very scared to ever leave the tank uncovered... My kitten (she's about 1 yr old) is VERY curious.. I just don't trust her with the tank uncovered! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so. This fan I bought only brought down the temperature in my big tank by about 2 degrees. And, as my 10 gallon was up to 78 degrees, I switched the fan over to that one. Which made me, out of curiosity, wonder whether there were larger fans like this little one I bought. And there are!

Here's one for a 60 gallon tank that I'm thinking of getting. It's just like the one I have, just more fans. Of course, it still comes back to the issue of whether you have jumpers or cats....

60 Gallon Aquarium Fan

Update on cooling ability. I don't know how fast the temperature went down, but when I woke up this morning, the temperature was down to 68, so I'd say this little fan has done an EXCELLENT job! This is better than my awkward, jerry-rigged setup of the regular fan blowing over the water by 2-4 degrees!