Kay, How About This One?

Alright, until I get the money to buy another (larger) filter, I was thinking of putting Hitomi in an old 10g that I had laying around, I put the sand in there and had to put a double dose (it says that's okay on the back of the bottle) of water clarifier, I put a big rock and one plastic plant which I can guarantee will stay in the sand because I wedged the anchor under the rock (which is heavy, I seriously doubt he can move it, lol.) Now, the filter I have for the 10g is rated for 20-40 gallon aquariums. The only problem with this situation is, the filter is so huge, I can't fit the aquarium hood back onto the tank... what can I do (if anything) or should I just leave him in the 5g for now? What do you guys think? The set up has been running and sitting in my room for 2 days now but I don't know how in the world I cam going to cycle it because I don't have any testers right now either, money has been running VERY VERY tight lately, and I am lucky I found the 30g with filter and hood and working light for as cheap as I did (20 bucks) my parents almost didn't buy it for me, since they don't think he needs anything bigger than what he's in, but they owed me it anyway, and I will be buying the new filter with late bday money they've promised too...

Question (on filters): Would a sponge filter or two add any filtration to Hitomi's 29g tank? I am looking at drsfosterandsmith.com and am going to obviously buy a normal filter of some sort, but I was thinking about sponge filters, how do they work and if I added one or two of them to his tan, would that help (add to the filtration in the tank) or just waste electricity? Edit: what I mean is, if I bought a power filter, wet/dry, canister or whatever kind of filter, AND got a sponge filter or two, I would NEVER consider a sponge filter for his main filtration, I definately know better than that. :rolleyes:

Edited by HitomiMama

Alright, until I get the money to buy another (larger) filter, I was thinking of putting Hitomi in an old 10g that I had laying around, I put the sand in there and had to put a double dose (it says that's okay on the back of the bottle) of water clarifier, I put a big rock and one plastic plant which I can guarantee will stay in the sand because I wedged the anchor under the rock (which is heavy, I seriously doubt he can move it, lol.) Now, the filter I have for the 10g is rated for 20-40 gallon aquariums. The only problem with this situation is, the filter is so huge, I can't fit the aquarium hood back onto the tank... what can I do (if anything) or should I just leave him in the 5g for now? What do you guys think? The set up has been running and sitting in my room for 2 days now but I don't know how in the world I cam going to cycle it because I don't have any testers right now either, money has been running VERY VERY tight lately, and I am lucky I found the 30g with filter and hood and working light for as cheap as I did (20 bucks) my parents almost didn't buy it for me, since they don't think he needs anything bigger than what he's in, but they owed me it anyway, and I will be buying the new filter with late bday money they've promised too...

So, then, is the question here, how do you cover the tank? If that is the question, one of my 10 gallons is actually a reptile tank I bought cheap and it only had the metal mesh cover, which eventually the paint all peeled off and the metal began to rust. yllk! Couldn't use that anymore. I didn't have the money to spend for a cover, so I just got a piece of plexiglass cut to size at my local hardware store, a version of Home Depot, for just a few dollars. Works just fine. They will only cut a square, but if you wanted to cut out a section for the filter, you can do that yourself with a small handsaw.

well really what I am asking is how do I light the tank up, the area I have the tank in is a shelf on a bookshelf and it's a bit dark unless I leave the room light on all the time, because it's far away from the windows...

oooh.... I see... well, how about a clip light? Clip Light It doesn't have to be anything fancy... just use any table lamp or anything and set it next to it.