Please Help Identify My New Goldie

Guest Sheydence

Guest Sheydence

I'm new to owning fish, two days ago my boyfriend brought three home from the store, two goldfish and something else?. I've already identified one as a black moor, but have no idea what the other is. They are still very small. He is shaped just like the black moor and his fins are the same as well, but is colourful. He is mostly white, with orange and black markings. His eyes also don't bulge out like the moors do. Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but would like to know what I'm raising!!

Guest Sheydence

hmm... I know for sure its not a goldfish. It's long and thin and looks like he eats off the bottom. His tail fin looks like just a continuation of his body. He has one fin on his back, 2 on his stomach close to his head, and 2 on his stomach nearer to the back. Hes brown and spotted, probably about 5 inches long...

Guest Sheydence

Okay, I took some pictures with my webcam, although I don't know how well you'll be able to see them.

These first two are of the goldie

rjmfq8.jpg

r1aezb.jpg

And these are of the unknown fish

20pizm.jpg

fwskk4.jpg

It would also be really helpful if you could tell me if that fish will be alright with the goldfish

Its for sure not a common pleco, I checked that when I saw the warning on the top of the compatibility page.

Edited by Sheydence

Guest nimajneb

that my friend, is a Weather Loach. Also known as a Dojo. He's a bottom feeder, they are very sociable fish who prefer the company of other loach but I didn't know that when I got my first one and he became good friends with my GF Speedy. Make sure your tank is covered - they love to jump out but don't worry if he does tooo much, they can breath out of water for hours at a time. Not recomended though. I love Dojo's as much as GF, they have a very inquisitive nature. Enjoy.

I can recomend www.loaches.com as a place for more information.

Guest Sheydence

Thank you!

haha we've already noticed how much he loves to jump. He was very active in the bag coming home. I didn't think he would be a problem with the gfs, since he seems not to mind them now.

Guest nimajneb

You can tell if its male or female quite easily - might help you if you name them. If when it's sitting still it sits up on its pectoral fins(the ones underneath behind his head that you mentioned) then its a boy. If not, well you can work that one out for yourself! He/she will need somewhere he can hide away, it is more active at night but at any time they like to be hidden away with their heads sticking out which is funny... you'll find yourself searching for it then notice a bit sticking out somewhere! It will eat pretty much the same things as your GF but make sure you go easy with flakes - it will munch them quite happily but it loves to sift through the bottom looking for food rather than take food from the top.

They need the same sort of water maintanence as your GF and are probably more able to accept different types of conditions than the GF. Also be careful because they can get 'spooked' very easily and as you've already seen they are very fast and can scare the GF briefly when they zip about the tank. I promise you will adore him/her.

:Congrats:

Guest Sheydence

I've already seen him sit up on his back fins like thata while ago, I thought maybe the pet store had just sold me some type of water snake, so I guess its a boy! We do have a little house for himthat he likes to sit in, and sometimes he swims right up to the top of the tank and rests on the water filter. The first time he did that I was terrified that he was dead already, but then he zipped back down to the bottom of the tank. I just went to that website you suggested, and I'm thinking of trading in the gravel I currently have in the tank for some sand or something that he can wriggle his way into.

Guest nimajneb

Oh noooo, I wouldn't change the bottom too much. There's debate about whether or not to use sand because it can irritate the GF when they are having a nose around the bottom too. He will be fine with a nice fine grade gravel.... shame though, I have sand and they bury themselves right in and poke out their noses or tail... or both(!) So much so and for so long I worried about him being a bit dead so I had to give him a gentle nudge with the net. Big mistake!! From the look of the gravel you have I think you'll be ok and there are 2 GF against the one Loach so their needs in this case outweigh his as he can be ok with both probably more than the GF can. They'll say otherwise on the other site so its a personal decision I guess. I have chosen to keep the sand personally as I have more loaches than GF. Shouldn't have said that - I'll get a slap on the wrist :ignore

Guest Sheydence

haha well alright.. perhaps when we find out if we can take care of these well enough well get another, and put the gold fish in another tank.

and theeeen put sand down.

Edited by Sheydence