I Wish There Were More Shops Here. =[

Guest Tankgirl

Guest Tankgirl

I'm looking at all your photos of such beautiful fish and I'm SO jealous. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my babies, but I'm getting a new tank this week...and I'm going to be getting a couple of new fish. There are three shops I can get to (I don't drive. ): ) and they're all...so-so...the biggest one, with the most tanks is good LOOKING, but everytime I've been there, all the fish have been fungal and covered in ich and there has ALWAYS been one dead fish floating round and round and round...last time I was there, the woman serving said she'd sort them out, since I'd pointed it out...but I don't trust that, because I shouldn't have HAD to point it out. =/

They've had some lovely fantails...all my fish came from there, but I obviously had to struggle to get them better and a few have died...a beautiful black bubble eye, a red cap fantail and a tiny black moor. So they DO get nice fish, but not many types and very unhealthy.

The second is quite small and also don't look after their fish. They only had commons and fancy-tailed fish that otherwise looked like commons (I'm no expert on the naming of common type fish. xD)

A lot of their fish had missing fins and torn tails and there were SO many fish crammed into the tanks. The tanks are round a corner too, so the staff can't see the animals in there and kids always bang on the tanks. T_T

The third is quite new and they don't stock live animals...but they do order in anything you want. The woman isn't very knowledgable, but she is LOVELY. I checked her stockist and they seem like good peoples. But you can never tell by the photos they choose to show...and I haven't ordered any...yet...

My point is...I want some lovely, uncommon fish. I'd love a black oranda and I wouldn't mind having a panda 'moor' as well...but the only place I could get them is by ordering and I can't see before I buy.

I can't stand the idea of getting a random fish. T_T

I want to watch them before I choose which ones I want!

I'm so jealous of people with lots of lovely shops. ;.;

For those of you who order fish without seeing them first...do you ever regret it? Don't get what you want?

Or am I just being stupid? xD

And is it only me who loves to get teeny tiny fish? Because all the posts I've seen say you'd like a 4-5" fish...I love to get them at 1" and watch them grow. o.o;

The best way of getting little fish is to join a club - a goldfish club - and trade or buy from other club members who breed. You are pretty much guaranteed that you will get healthy fish - and fish that are represented honestly.

I have ordered fish sight unseen ..... from dealers and breeders that I know very well and trust. I have not been disappointed. I have ordered fish, with full pictures (stills) and full descriptions and received fish that, where as "represented", they had serious flaws that were "hidden" or undisclosed. I was VERY disappointed and usually ended up giving the fish away - even when I paid a good deal of money for them. \

I guess what I am saying is that there are dealers and then there are dealers.

Keep in mind that a LFS and such will get fish from a dealer in large quantity fish - more quantity than perhaps quality. To get a black goldfish to remain black, you need quality. To get a fish that will be the "Breed" you order requires quality. If your store's supplier is average, you may see some rather nice fish - but nothing of great wonder - and they may not stay the way they look when you get them. Particularly in blacks, a very young fish is EXTREMELY hard to predict what you are getting. Plenty of young fish look black or blue until they are 1 year old or 3 inches or so. Then they change. Many fish with "better" or more stable genetics will stay black for a few years and then revert to red/orange/white. IF you do not know the breeder or the line, you cannot guarantee what you are getting.

If you order, go into it with the idea that you are going to like what you get - and then do like it. I generally never try to like a fish because of color - and REALLY do not select them on color patterns. Those all change. I go for the genetics and body type.

It is a gamble. You can reduce your problems by knowing the supplier. Other than that, simply decide to be happy and then DO it.

I am in the same position you are in at the moment. I am looking for a nice looking but healthy fish and do not want to settle for just ok. The 2 fish only stores I have been to around my house are dirty and the fish are not healthy looking. Even the newest store had many dead sick looking fish. I almost ordered a fish on the internet today but the one I am looking for was out of stock. I like to watch the fish and see how they interact with others and to see if they have any problems while swimming. I saw a post from someone that breeds Orandas and feel in love with them because they are the perfect example of how Orandas are supposed to look.

All I can offer you is what daryl has already said. Order a fish with the knowledge that you will like it even if it is not what you really wanted.

Guest Montman

I know what you mean.

There are 3 pet stores where I live and they don'y really have much in the way of goldfish.

I've made a couple of lucky purchases - but the stores here are not carrying really nice or exotic GF.

I drove 45 miles to a store that said they had several Lionheads.

The fish were healthy but none were good quality. Most had lumpy or crooked spines - or pupil-less eyes.

I do like to start out with 2 or 3" fish most of the time. With good care they can get big fast.

I wish you luck in your search. Wish I could help. :yeah:

This dilemma is not limited to small/out-of-the-way towns. I live in Los Angeles. You'd think you could get anything and everything here, right? No. The fish shops here that I've found, and I've probably visited easily a dozen, all have sick gf and a limited, ordinary variety of gf, so I do feel your frustration. I think the problem is that so few people specialize in goldfish and so they don't know what to look for either in quality or in special features. Out of all the fish shops I've been to here in LA, I've only found two that are worthy of being considered reliable stockers of healthy and sometimes unusual fish. And, for a city of half a million, there is no goldfish club. In fact, in the time I've been on KGW, I've only come across like two KGW members who live in LA. Now, I'm sure there are more than us three in LA who keep goldfish, but the fact remains that there still is no local club or network in place for goldfish people here.

I agree with you in that I, too, like to get smaller fish, not only because you can get away with the possibility of lighter ammonia/nitrates and an easier time of water change for a while, but also because I want to watch them grow. But, it's also true that if you want unstable colorings like black or panda, the larger the fish that is still portraying strong characteristics of those colors, the more likely it will be to keep those colorings.

With regard to buying locally, shipments vary. One week, your lfs may have nothing, then the next week, they may get something quite unusual in. And, in addition, I am seeing fish come into the shops here that weren't coming in last year at all, so, if you don't frequent your shops regularly, all of the unique shipments that by chance come in will sell out and you will never even know that those fish came in. So, regular trips to the shops is also a good way to luckily make that find of a nice fish by chance.

I have never ordered online because I am wary, as well, of the quality and markings of the fish. And I do also like to just stand and watch them for a while to find one with a good personality. But, as Daryl mentioned, if you feel this is the only way to get a bit different fish, you do need to be willing to just accept whatever you get.

Sucks I know.... goldfish lovers of the world, UNITE! Changing LFSs one shop at a time! lol!

Guest Montman
Sucks I know.... goldfish lovers of the world, UNITE! Changing LFSs one shop at a time! lol!

Yes, we must unite!

How does Koko's Goldfish Forum and Importers sound? ;)

Edited by Montman

Yes, we must unite!

How does Koko's Goldfish Forum and Importers sound? ;)

If only....

Guest Tankgirl

I wouldn't mind having a tiny panda and have it change colour in a week...I quite like watching them change colours. x3 If they stayed that way then fantastic, but I'd love to just have one for any amount of time. =]

Yeah, I think koko importers would be fantastic! We'd all know we would get fantastic fish! =D

Can't believe LA doesn't have a club. xD

I can understand there not being one here, it's remote and army-full...but LA?!

*Sigh* I suppose I do love pretty much all fish, so getting surprise would be quite good. :teehee

There really do need to be more reputable online shops as well...especially that ship to the UK. ):

Can't believe LA doesn't have a club. xD

I can understand there not being one here, it's remote and army-full...but LA?!

Well, actually, if you knew LA, it kinda does make sense. One, people are too busy being in love with themselves to care about anyone or anything else and two, people in LA pay others to do everything for them. Housekeepers, maid services, carpet cleaners, landscapers, plant waterers, nannies, pre-prepared gourmet dinner delivery; not just for parties, but for everynight dinner. Party planners, wedding planners. Car washing services, valet parking everywhere. Heck they even have services for people who can't or don't want to set up their own televisions or computers. What? That consists of plugging in a few cords and cables! And this attitude is just about everyone. Poor and rich and everyone in-between alike. No one does their own personal chores and house work. And yes, most people have a service come in and do the maintenance on their aquariums too. And this service provides them with the fish too. There's about as much connection with the fish in the aquarium as the pillows on the couch. Ah, no, not everyone is like this, certainly, but enough people so that having a goldfish appreciation group is possible.

Anyway, back on topic, I suppose what I would suggest is that if you did choose to order online, to just ask a lot of questions first.