Question About Long-tailed Pond Goldfish

lantern567

At pond stores I see comets that have very long tails and flowing fins. I have never seen one in a fish store with a tail and fins that long and flowing. Are there different kinds of comets? Seems unlikely, but I've been really curious about why I couldn't find a long-finned fish until spring when the pond stores got their fish in.

What you often see as comets are actually often crosses between comets and comons. So I think that you are just seeing 'real comets' with tails as long or longer than their body.

It is also possible that it are butterfly koi as they also have long flowing fins and I've seen mislabelled tanks over time :P

Is it possible that you are referring to butterfly kois (they sometimes look strikingly like gf)? If not, then I have no idea which kind of comet gf it could be...

-edit: Miki, or course, beat by to the punch, again :P -

Edited by Erinaceus

• 3 weeks later...
i think its called a bristlenose shubunkin- thats what it seems to be to me. I think its called bristlenose atleast.

Huh? U mean bristol shubunkin, rite? How come a goldfish got bristles? Besides, I don't think it's a bristol since it's very hard to get unless straight from a breeder.

Edited by d_golem

Show standards for a comet require that the caudal fin be 3/4 or greater than the body length. Show standards for commons require that the caudal fin be only 1/4 the body length. What you may be seeing in your lfs are comets that did not make grade ?A?. In my area I can by 3-4 inch comets for US$3. They have caudal fins which are, at best, 1/2 the body length. In another store the same 3-4 inch comets will cost me US$7, but the caudal fins are up to show standards.

Concerning Shubunkin goldfish, there are three main types, Japanese/American, London, and Bristol. There are a few other ?specialty? types that I know of, the Sky Blue and the Midnight Blue.

I found my comet Ariel at a local nnnnnnn in mid to late winter 2004. He (named before I found out he was male) was quite small and the fins were short when I got him, but he is quite beautiful now, with rather long fins. Here's a pic of him. Is this the type of fish that you saw?

arial.jpg

br553, that's a pretty fish! Yes, that is what I mean. I didn't know that the fins could get longer as they get older.

I think PHYLAL may have it right, that the ones in the lfs that I've seen are not up to "show" standards, but of course I still want to bring them all home.

br553, that's a pretty fish! Yes, that is what I mean. I didn't know that the fins could get longer as they get older.

I think PHYLAL may have it right, that the ones in the lfs that I've seen are not up to "show" standards, but of course I still want to bring them all home.

I opted for the "less then perfect" myself, and they are beautiful.

When I first got Ariel, I had no idea he would develop the way he has. In the picture below just after I brought him home, he looked so plain and ordinary. He was only 3.95 then, but would probaly sell for close to $20 now

ArielandFuzzy.jpg

Edited by br553

Guest Patches

br553, I'm usually not a big fan of commons, but MAN! Is Ariel GORGOUS!!! Congrats on getting an "ugly duckling" XD

Edited by Patches

br553, you give me hope for my comet, Ross. We bought him from the feeder tank for 25 cents back in February. Here is what he looked like then:

FebRoss.jpg

This is him now:

AugRoss.jpg

I hope I can post another picture in 3 or 4 years with him as beautiful as Ariel!