2 Fancies In A 29?

Guest Danicole

Guest Danicole

Okay, so I have had my goldfish in a 55 gallon tank for a while now. But since they're in a different room(I literally have no room in mine) I never get to spend any time watching them or interacting with them. And I really do Want to be able to just watch them swimming around. I'd move their tank into my room(also more inspiration to clean it regularly instead of a quick water change when I can fit in the roommates not being home["do you have to do that NOW? I'm trying to watch something and you're making all that noise!"] and the dick upstairs not playing his tv/radio so loud. Well, and that I'm still battling that issue of not being comfortable anywhere in the apartment other than my room <_< not such a big deal NOW, since they're small, but once they start to grow it will be. . .) BUT with one big bird cage(soon to be two, since the budgies refuse to stay out of my conure's cage and even though she's a baby she's already taken some swings at them >.<) in here and 2 smaller tanks on stands, I'd have to kick myself out of my bedroom to do it.

I have been considering lately, since my 29 is practically empty(was going to put the planted tank into it or the 20 gallon and leave one for if I ever had the money to upgrade my salt tank) I was considering moving 2 of the goldies into it and re-homing the other 2(hopefully through someplace like here so I know they go to GOOD homes instead of bowls) putting some sturdy plants into the 29 and putting them in there so I could sell my big tank and have all of my tanks in my room instead of in other rooms that I'm literally never in unless I have to be for some reason(ie cooking or cleaning the tank there). My canister filter should be plenty for it since it moves 350 gph. All I'd really need are lights for it. Which are easy to find most of the time. I'm just afraid that as they get bigger I'm going to look at tank mainly as a source of work instead of enjoyment when I have to

I guess basically(besides asking if it is morally okay to do it =/) I'm wondering if I can keep them in there. I know they'll physically FIT in there, and by stocking guides it'd be a just-right sort of fit. But I want to make sure I won't be effecting them negatively by putting them in a smaller tank. That's my main concern and I don't want them to be miserable because they don't have enough room. I was thinking about getting a sword plant and stunting it by putting it in a bowl with gravel instead of giving its roots room to grow in the substrate and putting some low growing plants in there. So hopefully they will have enough cover/interesting things in there yet it'll give them enough room to swim around in it?

I dunno. What do you guys think?

First, let me say... I've been there with the roomate situation. I know it sucks... :( I think moving the fish into your room would be a great idea. That way, you get to enjoy them without dealing with your roomates, and as you mentioned, you can do water changes without "bothering" anyone. Also, with selling the other tank you should be able to get the light you need for the 29 gallon and still have money left! Which, is always nice...

As for the fish, I have never had to downgrade tanks before, BUT I currently have 2 fish in a 30 gallon tank and they seem perfectly happy and healthy! I think it would be a great idea. :)

Edited by Desiree

All in all, keeping two fancies in a 29 gal is just fine. It might (and I do stress the 'might') become a problem if and when your goldies become enormous, but even in the long run, 29 gal should be plenty to keep 2 fancies in, especially if you have sufficient filtration and perhaps some plants.

I have two pretty good sized goldies in a 29 and they do just fine! I run an Aquaclear 110 on it AND I do a regular weekly water change of 30-60%!

(I think the regular water changes are the key as well as NOT over feeding!)

Yes of course, proper water changes and feeding are of course essential :clapping: , I should know better than to take that for granted :blush: . Thanks for the comment, Jeana :D .

As I was reading your post, I just kept thinking, well, if the 55 is such a bother and worry, why not just get rid of it? On top of the fact that, I'm not a terribly trusting person and for myself, with roommates who are so "disapproving" of your tank, I would worry about what might happen to your 55 with them around. I mean, even if they weren't to cause harm intentionally, there is always the chance of accidental harm simply because they don't appreciate the tank and, after all, "they're just fish, who cares?"

So, I think your idea is a really good one. Yeah, your two goldies should do absolutely fine in the 29 gallon. That gives almost 15 gallons each and that is going to be a nice amount of room until they become absolutely gianormous. I have 60 gallon tank and I'm sure my gf love having all that room to swim in and I do feel bad when I have to put one in the 10 gallon for treatment or whatever because they have no place to run like they're used to, but for you, having your fish in a safe place is more important I think. And Desiree hit on it perfectly that with the sale of your 55, you can get a light. It will be sad having to give up two of your gf, but if you can get them a trustworthy home, at least you won't have a worry there.

Guest Danicole

That makes me feel a bit better then. Thanks. I was going to use my canister. It does 350 gph, so more than enough filtration, and it has a spraybar so it won't be blowing them all over the place.

I was kind of thinking of getting a sword and putting it into something like a bowl or the bottom ceramic of a medium sized pot so I could keep its size in check and then(besides grooming when it got too big) just having something like a bigger anubias or two on each side of it.

It isn't so much that the roommates don't like the fish, more that they don't like when I mess with them. Feeding and lights are no problem. It's just when I'm doing water changes the noise bothers them. Bleh.

Now for the hard decision. Which ones to keep. I know my little one since he's the first one I had that lived. But would I rather have the little gold and white fan or the bigger chocolate guy(basically a fight between a near solid and a solid or a near solid and a nearly white).

Water changes will be easier too. I can always think of it that way :) Up to 3 buckets of water a week should be all I really need to do unless I go overboard with feeding(I really DO still need to cut up their gel instead of breaking a cube off each time.) instead of 6 of them. And I can do it when I want to instead of when I must or late Saturday night when they're going to the bar to hang out and the guy upstairs is partying.

Edited by Danicole

Maybe you can get a Python to help with water changes! Then no buckets to slosh over & haul back and forth. Your water changes would be faster & more efficient! Then maybe your whinny roomies would cut you some slack! LOL!!

Guest Danicole

Yeah, but the close by sink is always filled to the brim with dirty dishes. It'd help in my room most likely though :) (My one roommate is a slob, putting it nicely. last time I actually got so disgusted by the smell there was rotting meat in the sink. >.<) I can barely fit a 1 gallon jug in there! So 5 gallon buckets filled halfway :D Plus I dunno if they're that way everywhere, but the pythons here are just under $100. Eek. Not something I want to spend money on if it only takes a bit more effort, and if I can use the money for something better!

I also think I figured out which 2 I'm keeping. The chocolate fantail(he was really supposed to be a black moor. Heh. that didn't happen!) and the first one, the little mostly blonde one. And I'll just try to find homes for the calico fan and the red/white fan.

Edited by Danicole

Guest Danicole

Hmph. That day may come sooner than later. The absolute slob's(the one who leaves dishes in the sink instead of the working dishwasher 2" away) ex may be moving here(so she can cheat on him again while her kids sit at home with him) and that means that us others get to leave. Hmph. Wouldn't be so bad if rent here was affordable. Hopefully it doesn't happen(I stay with them because rent at a 1 bed place split between me and my other roommate not including utilities would be half of my monthly income, which isn't much to begin with) unless I could somehow get him to want to move away from here. Which I doubt =/

Anyway ^_^ I'm nearly done setting up the 29, all I need to do is really figure out where to put the plants and then wait until I find a home for the 2 I am not keeping so I can put the other two(and my canister) onto the tank.