Larry!

Guest N00bGoldfishOwner

Guest N00bGoldfishOwner

I just came back from a 5 day vacation and Larry was swiming lazily and looking down but he didnt have any other visible signs of anything. Then recently i just went to check on him and he has a coule white patches on his tail fins. Witch u can barely see in this poorly taken photo :\

nx3m6x.jpg

Is this finrot? Is there a med i can buy from a pet store ot fix it? And i dont have a quarentine tank so i cant move him.

If its hazy white spots, no its not finrot...yet. These are fungal spots that are very quickly healed in good water and 0.1% correct kind of salt. When did you last clean (with old tank water to preserve your beneficial bacteria) your filter media? I have a fish gets these spots when my filter maintenance is overdue. Pipes are clogged, impellers slimy etc. Upping water changes always helps too.

Guest N00bGoldfishOwner

ok, phew. I gave them a tank cleaning right when i came home from vacation. I'll start watching the water closer. I can't add salt though because i have 2 snails in there. Thanks for your advice.

FYI, picture advice... see how the background is so clear and the fish is not? The camera was focusing on the background... it probably picked out a plant or the statue or something to focus on. If you take a few pictures, chances are the camera will chose to focus on the fish in one of them. Most cameras have a feature too where if you only half-push the camera button and the LCD will show you where its gonna focus with a little box. You can then keep trying half-pushes until it picks the fish.

The other possibility is just that the fish was moving very fast. In which case a few tries should probably find him slower at one point. If he's an extremely excitable guy, you may want to see if your camera has a 'fast motion' mode.

Post up the answers to these Q's when you get a moment, hun.

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH)?

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap?

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?)

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish?

If it's a water problem, we'll be able to help more easily once we have some bakground info. You can copy and paste and add your answers to the side of each Q. :)