Any Cat Byproducts That Will Harm Goldfish?

Guest Moose

Guest Moose

Hi! I intend to start up a goldfish aquarium, but I came across a site that says cat urine in really small amounts can kill goldfish. Is this true? Can any other cat byproducts such as fleas, fur, or drool hurt them? Oh, and RARELY the occasional brush of flea killer? I have ten cats and I know atleast some of these things will make it's was into the tank. Thanks for any help you can provide. (:

I have kept cats with my goldfish (err, in the same room) for years and never had any problems. One thing though, if you ever have to do a powder flea treatment to your carpet, it is recommended to remove all animals from the room. Granted, it's a LOT of work to dismantle a tank for only a 24 hours period. When I did this a few years back, I covered my tank-- filters and all, very carefully and everything was fine. :)

None of them pee in my fish tanks

Lol! :rofl I don't know how they'd manage anyway since they like to pee in soil and need to do that little digging thung.

The only thing I can think apart from the flea and other spray issues would be having them dip their paws in the water trying to catch some dinner. If theres soil or umentionables on those paws, that's very bad news. Full of disease bringing organisms. If they catch a fish (and some cats are good at it) then, even worse news :( . Cover should definitely stay on with kitties around :exactly

It might not have been noted specifically, so here's my added two cents: I know from experience that dog hair (so why not cat hair) can accumulate in the filter and (eventually) clog it up, so make sure you check that regularly, and keep the lid of your tank closed as much as possible to minimize this beforehand.

A cover or lid for the tank is adviseable. None of my cats fish ... but some will. The lid will keep alot of problems out of the tank. I have several tanks that are about 3 inches off the floor - and the cats love to sit and watch "their fish".... and drive them around by patting the sides of the tank. I keep calm fish in the lower tanks for this purpose - but a lid will keep a flighty young fish from flipping out when "encouraged to swim" by an over zealous cat.

There is no reason to ever have to use flea powder in carpets or on the animals in this day and age. Frontline, Advantage and other products of this nature really do the job - very quickly and thoughly - and cannot harm anything. They only work on insects - paralyzing the involuntary workings - disconnecting the brain from the heart and lungs and such so that the brain fails to tell the heart to beat and the lungs to breathe, etc. The insect dies. They do not harm mammals, birds or fish.

Cat hair, however, is of concern. Not only can it plug up a filter (with all the hair I have around here, I have not had that problem, but I have lids) - but the free floating hair can be a risk to small fish if they swallow it. If you keep cats then you know the life threatening problems you can have if a cat swallows a string or thread or such. The same thing can happen to a smaller fish if it swallows a long cat hair. Lids will keep the hair out mostly - and the filters do the rest, though.

Cats do and can pee in the most extraordinary places. They spray, too. This is usually at the level of the cat - and if you have a tank on the floor (or a few inches above as I do) the spray could, potentially, go into the water. There is nothing in cat urine that should be any more harmful to the fish than any other urine from any other animal, though. All you have is a MESS. Best to manage the cats better - with better litter boxes, larger living quarters, spaying/neutering, less competition for equipment/toys/attention, and careful medical care than to worry about a cat spaying in a fish tank, though. (And it is NEVER necessary to get rid of a cat for fish - they are compatible housemates! Human babies and children are far more concerning than cats!). Male cats are usually given a bad rap, too. Female cats (both intact and spayed) spray more than neutered male cats.....mostly because spraying is a mental issue, not a sexual issue with them.

Do not warry. Cats and fish are just fine together. Share your fish with your cats - show them what is in the tank. They will enjoy them or ignore them. But they should not bother them.

:)

Solid covers are a must, my cat loved sleeping ontop of my tank.

Also, i'm ashamed to say this, but my cat has weed several times on my tank. It's not the most pleasing thing to find first thing in the morning. However I love my fish & love my cat, even if he is slightly away with the fairies.