Is This Filter Ok? Being Sold With A Crack In It...

Guest Moose

Guest Moose

Mmk. I was looking at this filter on eBay. I've been reading this forum nonstop for a few hours everday, as I plan to make my 29 gal into goldfish. This is my first post (wheee). I was looking around on eBay for a filter that would be cheap. Someone in another thread said that 3 fancies in a 29 gal would need 400 filtration..

>>>><<<<

I'm new to the fancier filters. Will this one still function right? And is it the size I'll need or would there be too much current out of it in a 29 gal? Should I got with 2 200s? I'm a really uncertain person, I'm terrible at making decisions. Help please?

Personally, I wouldn't get the filter since it is cracked, even if it doesn't currently affect it's ability to um, filter. I've had some nightmare experiences with other filters that cracked, leaked, and in other words broke. Cracks can continue and it would be really unfortunate if it started to leak.

I have a 30 gallon with 2 fish in it, I plan to get another 1 once my cycle stabilizes... Anyway, I have the Marineland 350B (350 gph). Personally, I think that's plenty of filtration for 3 goldfish, especially if they are currently on the small side.

Remember, the rule is that you want the filter to cycle all of the water through it 10 times per hour, so with a 29 gallon, your fine as long as you have 290 gph... That is, unless your goldfish are gigantic! :)

I, too, would urge you not to buy something that you know is already "broken". It will only get worse. A filter should last 10 years or more. You are setting yourself up to have to buy a new one too soon if you settle for one that is already on the decline.

Did you know that if you go to P e t Sm a rt.com, you can find the filter you wish and print off the price (page that shows the price) that you find on line. Take that printout to the store and they will honor the on-line price of the filter in the store. You pay no shipping and you can often get a HUGE discount this way. I got air pumps for $3.99 @ that are listed as $18.99 @ in the store. Most filters are dollars less this way.

SEcondly, try BigAls Online.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...ue_0=Marineland

These guys quite regularly have some of the lowest prices on equipment and such. For general equipment and supplies, you may do really well here. They regularly have sales - and are prompt.

I have Emperor 400s on 30 gallon tanks regularly. A Penguin 350 will do a 30 gallon tank nicely - but plan on adding extra media for adult fish. Even an Emperor 280 will do the job nicely if kept clean and running efficiantly and with added media.

:)

Guest Moose

Aha, thanks for the suggestions. I'm ordering the marineland 350 right now. I really have no idea how these filters work and only a vague clue what you mean when you say media but thats my next topic of research. Thanks!

I own this filter and it is a good one. It will not create too much current in a 29 gallon. I looked at the eBay pictures and I can tell you that a crack in that area will make the filter dribble water down the back of your tank. Not good.

I really have no idea how these filters work and only a vague clue what you mean when you say media but thats my next topic of research.

Then this topic will be off some help ...