Rarest Breed Of All

So I go to Seattle for five days on a vacation with my son. While I'm gone, I leave instructions to feed the fish.

Well... Ferrero, the Pygmy Spherical Ryukin, can't fit any food in her tiny mouth except Hikari Goldfish Gold Baby Pellet. But for 5 days the only food going in the tank is HaiFeng Quick Grow Medium Pellets - Ferrero can't get them in her mouth. I forgot to tell my brother that Tinko, Charlie, and Ferrero need a mix of baby pellets and medium pellets (if they are getting just pellets).

So Ferrero is fasting 5 days. I get home and you can see the squarish shape she has from ribs and an empty belly - poor baby.

Anyway, she's been tippy for a few weeks - I think because she's growing a little. So the swim bladder and her rotundity are wrestling for superiority.

Apparently when she's not full of food, the swim bladder wins. So she figured out a strategy to deal with it. She swims around a while in a waggly, wiggly, teeter tottery way. Cute as always. Then she decides it's time to rest.

She goes in the box, flips upside down, then rests her sexy belly on the underside of the top of the box. Then she kinda floats there watching what's going on. If she sees interesting action, she just flips over and comes out to check things out.

20080721-211134.jpg

20080721-211342.jpg

20080721-211419.jpg

Silliest fish behavior I've seen so far. But nothing less than what I would expect from the Fabulous Ferrero Rocher, the world's only Upside-down Pygmy Spherical Ryukin.

:)

She goes in the box, flips upside down, then rests her sexy belly on the underside of the top of the box. Then she kinda floats there watching what's going on. If she sees interesting action, she just flips over and comes out to check things out.

thats funny! we have an oranda that does this. swims fine till after it eats. then goes and hangs out in the corner of the tank at the top or goes under the filter output where its calm and watches everyone upsidedown. then it will swim around a bit and go back up there. after a couple of hours it is fine and swims about till the next feeding. i dont know if its part monkey or bat. i was worried when i first saw this pattern, but it is doing fine. there doesnt seem to be any stress, no belly dryout cause it still swims when it wants (then goes up). i almost put this fish down awhile back, glad i didnt.

You certainly have a positive way of looking at something that would freak out some people! I'm glad that you are able to see the good side of things! It makes it so much happier and cuter!

Oh!

What was I doing in Seattle with my son?

Fishing:

My son salmon fishing in Puget Sound:

20080718-063951_800.jpg

Me, Salmon standing:

20080718-101550_800.jpg

Pretty place for fishing:

20080718-073402_800.jpg

Eating:

Really good vegan sandwich:

20080719-152533_800.jpg

Jambalaya and red beans:

20080719-193536.jpg

Taro pinwheel thingies:

20080720-145832_800.jpg

Walking around seeing Seattle stuff:

Garage door art:

20080719-155415_800.jpg

Pigeons, one left a gift on my son's new shoe:

20080719-185810.jpg

Starbucks:

20080719-190305.jpg

Little Ferrero is so cute upside down in that vase. But, I have to ask... did you go to Hillside Quickie's? I recognize the sandwhich... (wow, that sounds ridiculous!) I live in Seattle and that's my favorite place for lunch! :) I used to live over by the Space Needle and those carriages would go past my apartment window on the hour, you could hear them a mile away.

Edited by Desiree

But, I have to ask... did you go to Hillside Quickie's? I recognize the sandwhich... (wow, that sounds ridiculous!) I live in Seattle and that's my favorite place for lunch! :)

Yup! That's a "Purple Haze" from Hillside Quickie's.

Dangerous good vegan food. Yummity yum yumm!

She is so cute and so smart in dealing with it. I'm starting to think that Ferrero has all the brains and Charlie has none :rofl

Edited by Quasi

Yea for the ubersmart Ferrero! I'm always so impressed with what my goldfish can do. One of these days, I'm going to hunt down the guy who first said that goldfish are dumb and only have a two second memory, just so I can tell him how wrong he is.

Say, isn't there something a little strange about eating at a vegan restaurant on a fishing trip?

Say, isn't there something a little strange about eating at a vegan restaurant on a fishing trip?

I was kinda thinking the same thing, but wasn't going to say anything...

I was kinda thinking the same thing, but wasn't going to say anything...

Well, the first day of the trip we didn't catch a single salmon.

And you know - if those vegans want to macerate plants, grains, yeasts and fungus, that's ok with me. Who am I to judge them?

Besides, when it comes to good food, I'll eat anything. I'm an equal opportunity eater. :Scoff:

Anyway, if you're in Seattle visiting Capitol Hill and want to get into the vibe - you have to welcome rainbows and eat at Hillside Quickie's. :rolleyes:

I was going to say that that's the fanciest fishing trip food I've ever seen!

Dan, have you tried gel food for the little bobber? It might help.

She gets what the others get - and often the little scraps.

I think the major issue was 5 days of pellet food only. And she may not have been able to eat much at all.

Usually they get vegetables at least once a day.

Ok, well after 3 days of about 60% broccoli, 30% brine shrimp, 10% bloodworms, and a good water change - Ferrero is back to swimming "normal."

i should get a video of "normal" Ferrero swimming. Hehe...

:D

Daniel, I am sorry, but with all this Ferrero Rocher talk, there is only one thing that comes into my mind right now... :whistle More than one Ferrero would be prefered... :D