My Black Moor Can't Find Food

So I moved my black moor and pearlscale to my 55g recently and I noticed today that at feeding time my black moor acts like he can't see the food. He didn't get one bite of food before it was gobbled up by the other fish. I read on this forum somewhere that they will have problems because of the bug eyes but what should I do? I don't want to move him to my 10g QT by himself but I don't want him to starve. Anybody else have this problem? Any solutions?

Maybe you can try dropping half the food on one side of the tank, and the other half on the other. Give him a few feedings like that an he may catch on.

That is a good idea! I got him to eat some flakes a little bit ago but I actually had to drop them on his head while he was at the surface for him to find them. Hopefully he gets enough food from bottom feeding until he figures it out.

If you try to always feed in the same place he will learn. Fast. You could try feeding on a saucer (weighted down).

Fish smell food before they see it and so I am sure he will be okay.

Yup, I found that sometimes you do have to drop it on their head. I've also found that if they miss it and it falls to the bottom, swirling the water a bit so that it floats up and around so they can see it pass by them also helps. But, training them for things is true. As we know, gf have a great capacity for learning; far beyond the 3-second myth, so training it to go to the same place every time should really do the trick. My fish know that when that light comes on at 5:30 p.m. every evening, chow is soon on its way. They also know that once that lid gets raised, the food will always be deposited in one certain place and they are quickly there, gathering front and center waiting. I always hold the food in my fingers under the water, especially flakes so they don't float, to start with so that they not only learn to eat from my fingers, but also so I can make sure that they get at least one big mouthful. So, hand feeding will also help in making sure that your moor gets some food.

Edited by lynda441

I have an oranda that can't see his food, but he still gets his fair share. He eats from the bottom while my other oranda greedily gobbles everything she can fit in her mouth as it falls. His little cheeks cover half of his eyes from the bottom and his wen is starting to grow over his eyes on the top. I think eventually he'll be in a 20 gallon by himself when this starts to become a problem, but for now, he's grown bigger than her so I think he's doing ok. I do feed in the same place every time and right after I turn on the lights in the morning so he knows when and where the food will be.

I trained a black moor to eat from my fingers at the surface. That way I could make sure that she got her fair share at mealtime. I currently have a calico telescope that is sight-impaired. I feed all my fish in a 9 x 9 Pyrex baking dish on the floor of my tank. As soon as he smells food the telescope goes zooming to the baking dish and gets MORE than his share.

I have black moor that has trouble finding food as well. I just recently started feeding him by hand and he likes it better then finding the food. Also, feeding on the same side of the tank or same spot is a good thing to start. Goldfish are smarter then most people think they are. :)

Big Boy, my Oranda, gets hand fed often! Mostly cause he's spoiled rotten! He can look for & find food, but he likes for me to feed him. AND if I don't do it to his liking I MIGHT get the old Tail Splash when he is tired of trying to train ME!!

I've found that with Angel (my black moor) she does the same thing. Swims around for a while as if she can't even tell that she's being fed. I wound up rearranging the stones in the tank to push everything to the sides and the back, giving her a completely bare bottom section right where the food is dropped in. It seems to have made it easier for her to see. She got very confused though when I fed her krill and it didn't want to drop to the bottom. She was expecting it to fall LOL

Thanks for the suggestions! I've been putting the food in the same place each time and he's starting to figure it out. He swims at the top and chomps at the surface until he finds where the food is. He's also an avid bottom cleaner so I'm not worried about him starving anymore. I've tried to feed him by hand a couple times but he's still skeptical about it. I never thought about black moors having sight problems but it makes sense with their buggy eyes. I hope he continues to thrive because he's going to be a good looking fish when he gets some size on him!