Deep Bodied Ryukins

Guest Orandaa

Guest Orandaa

Do you have to breed them a certain way in order for a Ryukin to have a deep body such as this:

Both_Fancy%20Goldfish.jpg

Or will most ryukins naturally have a deep body?

As with any animal and getting certain characteristics, the more purely you breed them, the better the qualities. Careful, selective breeding by conscientious breeders who choose only a breeding pair that already exhibit excellent qualities will most likely result in an offspring with at least as good of qualities, if not better.

Ryukins also need considerable amounts of protein-rich food to develop such deep bodies like that. Keep them on a carbohydrate-based diet and they shrink to fantail proportions even if they came from good deep-bodied stock.

I liken them to body builders - muscle men. Give them the protien and EXERCISE and they will bulk up nicely if they have the genetics to do so. My show Ryukins will really bullk when given large water volume in the bright summer sun and tons of bloodworms and other good protien. They gorge themselves on the mosquitoe larvae laid in the water (YEAH!!!!) and get massive double humps from it.

It is hard to tell from the picture, for I do not know exposure or anything, but if I had to guess, I woudl guess that that particularl fish is a few months away from proper prep - and needs a bunch of protien to keep the solid hump - so many get that "softer" look a few months after lowered protien levels.......

These guys are being prepped for August show - they have about 1 more month for bulking up, but you can see the double humps starting to harden and swell nicely. They are fine fish to begin with, but grooming goes a long way in producing that unique "muscle man" look of a show Ryukin.

post-27-1216733367_thumb.jpg

Give them the protien and EXERCISE and they will bulk up nicely .

This is something we overlook so often! The benefits of more water volume are so many but this of course is a really important one too! Swimming lengths and having lots of space to move around has to encourage muscle and growth :exactly