Fish Pedicure

Acupunk

This story includes a photo of the pedicure:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25783483/

I can't imagine how on earth they keep the water suitable for the fish if they have to change it for each customer. Also, in my line of work I see a lot of feet and I have to say that most of them I would not want to nibble on, even if I was a fish.

I'd so try this... not just the feet but the whole body also! XD

Ah! LOL :blink: I'm not sure how I would like this kind of pedicure... certainly not on my whole body!

Guest Isilme

These cleaner fish clean the mouths and body of other fish in the wild. There are real "cleaning stations" where fish queue to get cleaned :)

I'd be really worried they are completely starving those fish and thats why they will always eat the dead skin on customer's feet. It cant be very nutritious for the fish :(

Guest Isilme
I'd be really worried they are completely starving those fish and thats why they will always eat the dead skin on customer's feet. It cant be very nutritious for the fish :(

No, that's not true. These fish do the same in the wild, where they remove parasites and dead skin of fish (see above post). They're called cleaner-fish.

More info on cleaner stations

More info on cleaner fish

Edited by Isilme

So cleaner fish only need to eat sloughed skin? I find that hard to believe. I mean they must have other nutritional needs too.

So cleaner fish only need to eat sloughed skin? I find that hard to believe. I mean they must have other nutritional needs too.

That would explain those 'false' cleaner fish. A big fish presents itself to get 'cleaned' and the 'false cleaner fish' is of with a big chunk of fish.

btw: I've always found it strange that the 'real vampire' can survive on only drinking blood. Any other animal that gets that amount of iron inside it dies because of iron poisoning.

Edited by Quasi

Guest Isilme

That would explain those 'false' cleaner fish. A big fish presents itself to get 'cleaned' and the 'false cleaner fish' is of with a big chunk of fish.

btw: I've always found it strange that the 'real vampire' can survive on only drinking blood. Any other animal that gets that amount of iron inside it dies because of iron poisoning.

If you want to read more about them (the ones that are being used for humans):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_fish

I know it may sound strange, but nature does strange things sometimes :)

Guest coldwaterfish

This is all over the news in Australia also. I remember standing in a creek and feeling the mosquito fish nibble my toes. Who would have thought there was a market for it !

• 4 weeks later...

Weirdness...I can't imagine such a thing. I've been in lakes and had baby bluegills nibble on my feet and legs but I just can't imagine paying for such and thing or doing it intentionally, although I'd imagine it would feel really good.

:exactly ..besides the temperature is pretty warm...aww poor babies... :(

Guest Isilme

They're tropical fish, so the temperature is fine...

They're tropical fish, so the temperature is fine...

umm..actually the pedicure water temperature usually is pretty high... :) ..so I am assuming if not tht warm, it is warmer than tropical temperatures...NO??...I may be wrong...but I would love to believe tht they can take the temperature in there..however..still poor babies... :(