Buttom Sitting Fish With Transparent Waste, Not Eating.

Hi All,

My Tank Set Up:

38G BB tank with three 5" lionheads, the tank has been set up for 3 months.

One AC 70 and one whisper 4 on the tank.

Water parameters:

Temp: 80F

PH: 7.6

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10

I do 80-90% w/c twice a week. I feed pro-gold and hikari frozen bloodworm to my fish.

Fish symptoms:

Buttom sitting not moving at all, the body abit of tilted (laid on their side). Not eating and I noticed they produce long transparent waste, one cloudy eye.

The tank is currently being treated 0.3% salt with Prazi for fluke and it is in 3rd week of treatment.

Should I stop the Salt/Prazi treatment and start a MetroMed treatment? I think this is a bacteria infection related problem and as well as in the gut.

Please help.

Thanks

sorry to hear that your fish is ill :( ...have you given any breaks with the prazi (for example 3 days on a few off )

No, Ididn't. I thought prazi/salt don't produce stress for the fish? But it seems otherwise. Specially I noticed the fish started to buttom sit / not very active since last prazi/salt dose last Thursday.

I probably should do a 80% w/c and see what happen?

Should I order some MetroMed and MediGold from GFConnection just in case they are needed to treat for bacteria infection?

Thanks

Edited by 32Bit_Fish

Hi Vince -- It seems that you are getting more than your fair share of problems. :(

A few questions:

• Are all three of your fish bottom-sitting?
  • Are you confident of how much salt is in your tank? I know that you had a problem before with overdosing salt. This can definitely cause stress. Are you using fine or coarse grain salt? Are you measuring it with spoons or weighing it?
  • Aside from the bottom sitting and the one cloudy eye, do you see any other unusual symptoms?

It may be helpful to try lowering your water temperature a little bit -- fish secrete more immune-suppressing stress hormones at higher water temperature. I have found that clipping a small fan on the tank helps a lot with high water temperature.

Hi Vince -- It seems that you are getting more than your fair share of problems. :(

A few questions:

• Are all three of your fish bottom-sitting?
  • Are you confident of how much salt is in your tank? I know that you had a problem before with overdosing salt. This can definitely cause stress. Are you using fine or coarse grain salt? Are you measuring it with spoons or weighing it?
  • Aside from the bottom sitting and the one cloudy eye, do you see any other unusual symptoms?

It may be helpful to try lowering your water temperature a little bit -- fish secrete more immune-suppressing stress hormones at higher water temperature. I have found that clipping a small fan on the tank helps a lot with high water temperature.

I have two fish bottom sitting. I measured salt using teaspoons and never weighted salt for dosage cuz I dont have a small scale to weight salt. In addition to bottom sitting and one cloudy eye, they have been producing long transparent fish waste. The waste were sometime in milky white or transparent and even in segaments once last week.

The fish I bought from my LFS seems always has problem since the day I bought him. His eyes seem are bigger and I noticed there is red spot around his wen whenever I dose the tank with salt/prazi. The red spot would disappear as soon as I removed the salt/prazi in the water.

I did a 80% w/c again after I got home. Now one of the two sick/buttom sitting fish seems recovered, but the one I got from my LFS is still buttom sitting and laid on his side.

The wen area seems gotten smaller around the eye area, I think it has hole in the head problem. If it gets worse, then I probably need to take him out and put him in a 10g start treat him Hexmita medication if I can find it in the store. :unsure:

Word of advice for the people who looking to buy GF, dont' buy it from your LFS.

Metromeds from Goldfish Connection is the best thing for hole in the head. In a pinch, Jungle Antiparasite (it has metro in it) would be better than nothing, I guess.

I couldn't believe I have been mistreating my fish for Fluke. No wonder he sometimes buttom sits and laid on his side with the shrinking wen. He has the hexmita problem (internal parasite/bacteria infection).

The bugs inside of him have been taking all the nutrient away from him. :unsure: