Stuck Snail

Desiree

I noticed this evening that my Trapdoor Snail is completely stuck in my Dragon. I tried my best to pry him from where he is at, but there is no budging. Any recommendations? Here's some pictures of the err, predicament.

Stucksnail.jpg

Stucksnail2.jpg

Help!

I tried again and no luck. He is really stuck in there. I'm afraid if I push at him any harder I will break his shell. Anyone been through this before? Any suggestions?

Well... It took some pushing, and some wiggling... but I finally freed the little guy. I still can't believe how stuck he was! His shell is pretty banged up, especially in one part. I hope he makes it! :heart

I did a water change last night and filled that part of the dragon's tail, where it spirals, with river rocks. I'm hoping that will work. My fish don't seem to move around my rocks too much. Only time will tell though...

Well... It took some pushing, and some wiggling... but I finally freed the little guy. I still can't believe how stuck he was! His shell is pretty banged up, especially in one part. I hope he makes it! :heart

How on earth did he wedge himself so firmly in there, I wonder? I am glad you got him out.

I'm not too sure really. Hahah... she must think she is smaller than she really is... It took me at least 10 tries at it to pull her free. Thankfully she made it, but part of the top of her shell looks chipped, towards the spiral. Her shell is a really dark brown and it's covered in green algae, there is a white spot where it's chipped. :( Will this heal? Is there anything I can add to the water to facilitate proper healing?

I'm not too sure really. Hahah... she must think she is smaller than she really is... It took me at least 10 tries at it to pull her free. Thankfully she made it, but part of the top of her shell looks chipped, towards the spiral. Her shell is a really dark brown and it's covered in green algae, there is a white spot where it's chipped. :( Will this heal? Is there anything I can add to the water to facilitate proper healing?

I do not have a great deal of experience with snails. I have one apple snail in my goldie tank which has grown considerably since I got it. It is my understanding that snails' shells grow from the edge by the opening backward. I think that the most important thing that you can do to make sure it heals is make sure that there are plenty of minerals (particularly calcium) in your water. Do you know what the GH of your water is? My GH is very, very low (despite very, very high KH :blink: ). This caused a problem for my snail and he grew a section of very soft shell when I first got him. After I figured out what was going on I started adding calcium chloride (a liquid supplement intended for reef tanks) to my water to bring my GH up. This actually had the effect of perking up my goldfish as well.

I tested my water tonight:

KH: 125.3

GH: 143.2

Anyway, this evening I thought the snail had passed away, but she is still very much in her shell. I took a few pictures to show the damage on her shell. :( She looks really bad. The small white marks appear to be scrapes, probably from me wiggling her out of being stuck. Also, on the upper part of her shell, you can see the chipped part too. :(

snail1-1.jpg

snail2-1.jpg

Any suggestions on how to help my poor Trapdoor Snail is greatly appreciated!

Also, the offending space where she got stuck seems to be well covered with the river rocks, the fish haven't moved them at all. :)

Edited by Desiree

Aw. I'm sorry about your snail's scratches. Your GH looks good though so perhaps just good water is enough for healing. Have you ever heard of magic shells, I will try and find a link. Its a shell that releases healing minerals into the water, used in some reef tanks I think...

Acupunk~ in some water apparantly alkalinity (kH) can be created from sodium and potassium carbonate, not calcium carbonates so a low hardness results alongside high alkalinity.

The small spiral part is called the spire and they do grow outward from there. If the spire is broken off, that won't be a problem. It is old growth and there are probably no living parts in it anymore. As long as your goldfish don't try to nibble at the snail through there, it should be fine.

On Applesnail.net there are pictures of a procedure where a shell is repaired, though I don't think it would be necessary for you to do that on this snail.

It's hard to tell. She hasn't really moved in two days. :( I hope she's still alive. I will check in a little while when I do a water change. Thankfully, my goldfish haven't really picked on her at all.

Just wanted to let everyone know, my snail is alive and well. She didn't move an inch for several days, but her shell all ready looks better and she is slowly getting back into moving around the tank. Thanks for all your help! :)

Glad to hear your snail's ok! I thought mine had gotten stuck a couple times, but he always seemed to back his way out. Hopefully the stones will keep the little guy from getting stuck again.

I can't have snails anymore cuz even with my parrotfish protecting my last one (no lie, he'd swim around the snail and chase the catfish away), my eat-everything punk of a catfish got to him in the end :-( So I haven't had any snails in there in a while.