Water Changes And Various Other Questions

Guest pearlywhirly31

Guest pearlywhirly31

Hey peoples. I'm new to this site so I hope you can excuse any mistakes I make in the topic title and description. Anyways I'm a little confused on how much dechlorinator to add to my tank. So I have a 30 gallon tank and I removed about 50% of it. Do I add enough dechlorinator for 30 gallons or do I only add enough for 15 gallons???

Also, I have two 6 in. Comet goldfish in a 5 gallon tank right now (I already know that it's way to small for them) could I possibly put them in the 30 gallon tank which contains one 1.5 in. fantail or would I have to put up a divider??? I'm also cycling the 30 gallon right now so would the added fish just defeat the purpose of stocking sparingly while cycling???

Thx!!!

To answer your dechlorinator question: if you use buckets or another method which would allow you to add the dechlorinator to the water being added before it goes into the tank, then only add enough for what you are adding. If however, you are using a python or hose to fill the tank directly from the sink or faucet, you need to add enough for the entire volume of your tank.

Your comets need 20 gallons of water each. putting them in the 30 would help relieve their situation, but would cause other problems. It would overstock your 30 gal. Also comets can be more agressive towards fancies because they can swim so much faster, it may be hard to make sure your fantail got enough food with them in there too. And lastly, yes it would definitely defeat the purpose of stocking lightly while cycling, esp. at 6 inches each.

Kusackaid gave the right answer on the dechlorinator, but just to add one thing. You can't overdose on dechlorinator. As long as you get the minimum amount in there, any amount you add over the minimum amount won't hurt anything.

If your comets seem to be doing okay in the 5 gallon tank and your 30 gallon tank is still cycling, I suppose it would be okay to keep things the way they are for now, but my suggestion is to get your fish switched as soon as the 30 gallon cycles and sooner if your comets appear at all stressed in the 5 gallon. You'll just have to watch the water parameters much more closely and do much larger, daily water changes. Ultimately, you need to put the comets in the 30 gallon and the fantail in the 5 gallon tank. This situation still leaves all your bioloads overstocked, but at least it makes more sense. And as soon as you get this situation under control, you will then either need to get a 10 gallon for your fantail or a 40 gallon for your comets and then put your fantail in the 30 gallon and get it a fancy friend. Although it's terribly small, with daily 90% water changes, you could use the 5 gallon tank as a qt tank for the new fish.