I Feel Sad

jodyisme

i guess im just sad. my daughter had 2 gorgeous gf in a 10 gal tank with 2 huge snails for years. never did much more than feed them.

mine, i cycled the tank, (been up since dec last year.) feed all this different foods, change water, clean tank weekly, never missed one with gravel vac, everything i have learned on here. neither of my 2 have grown any but seemed ok till i just noticed my smaller one has 2 lumps. one has burst, leaving a red crater on one side, one is disgusting looking with white stuff hanging out on the other side. this came up suddenly, she was ok yesterday when i did my water stuff, made their peas, etc.

i dont have the money or time to try to keep her/him alive. (grandkids w/disabled daughter and have a disabled husband also) i wish i did. mostly from what i read on here they dont seem to make it anyways and that would kill me worse. i wont let him suffer tho, dont worry on that!

why are they or some so hard to tend to? hers--she did about everything wrong one could--even to using chlorinated water!--thrived. mine, i will have one left, my red orange Flash. i probably will clean the tank, change out the bottom to marbles, and go back to tropicals. i dont know if i should try again with gf.

i feel so bad, like what am i doing wrong? with all the fancies, have they bred a lot that lost their hardiness?

just venting, i guess. i feel awful. i feel i failed.

Guest Ranchu Addict

You did not fail. A lot of us have the same thing happen. Do everything right and still get sick fish. Don't be too hard on yourself. How big is your tank? How often do you change water? Do you test it? If so what are the readings? We may be able to help you save your fish and it very likely will not cost a bunch of money.

Your last sentence mentioned fancies, so I'm assuming that's what you had and I'm going to assume, just out of good guessing, that your daughter had the single tail commons/comets.

Yes, you are correct. Fancies are much more sensitive and difficult than the single tails because the single tails bodies are long and "normal" and their internal organs aren't all bunched up and distorted like the fancies are. The more unusual the body, the greater the chance of problems and the more difficult they are to take care of. I, as well, kept two large single tails in a 10 gallon tank for a long time with no problems, so I thought I knew so much about goldfish. I was just lucky, as was your daughter, combined with the added bonus of the single tails being less prone to internal problems.

Goldfish, especially fancies, are, in my opinion, the most difficult fish to successfully keep. They are challenging. Very challenging. They take sooo much research, learning, time, money and work and it can be exhausting, but the reward comes when you reach that time when you have been able to keep fancies successfully, not only in the satisfaction of knowing how much you learned, but also in seeing those happy, healthy faces.

We all have been there. Inexperienced beginners who have all, sadly, sent many goldfish to their demise. We have known despair and desperation, we have cried, we have been angry and we have all sworn off ever doing it again at least once.

You do have a lot on your plate and it would be completely understandable if you felt you could not take on goldfish again. It is true. Tropicals are much easier. If you would like to continue to have fish, but do not feel that you have the time, money or energy to put into fish at the level that goldfish require, tropicals would probably be a better way for you to go.

I can feel the sadness and despair in your words. I can feel them because I have felt them myself. But know this, you did not fail.

my water is at , 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20 nitrates.

i have a 29 gal. large size polished river gravel.

whisper HOB filter, the biggest made. (double kind) air stone on the other side from the filter.

water 50% once a week with gravel vac. temp matched, use API stresscoat for dechlor.

2 fancies. little ones, maybe 1 1/2 inches, the smaller maybe a inch.

feed them omega one sinking pellets, spiruluna flakes, peas, crisps, once daily. each on a diff day..not all once a day!

i just have to see what happens. i am watching as closely as i can with the little one.

thanks for the kind words. actually, my daughter had her 2 fancies, calico, they got enormous and about filled her little 10 gal. fins all over the place. beautiful things. esp with the 2 apple snails--think golf ball size, we spent half our time getting snail eggs off the sides-- and some rinky dink tiny filter! all in a 10 gal!

yes, if there is one thing i could tell someone looking at fish, these gf are incredibly challenging. i will keep Flash in his/her big tank. the other acts ok for now, but its a matter of time with obviously this infection it has. i read trinket and pixie all the time :) . i feel bad because i can figure out what i need to do but havent the time, place or money to do it.

i have been mostly reading here since last dec...followed everything...i guess maybe sometimes things just happen. i know it is incredibly hot here lately and perhaps the warmer water isnt good. its about 78 in the tank. i am gonna change out more water later today. i just feel stupid because i should have researched better at the beginning. course i had more time till my daughter had her crisis and i ended up helping with 2 little ones and her!

thanks for the kind words. so much misinformation out there among everyone on goldfish. tropicals sounds so much harder. they arent...they are 100 times easier. thanks for letting me vent a bit. you all are a great bunch here.

I am sorry you're having such a rough time. It is very disheartening when you do everything right and your fish still have health problems.

I do think that over the years fancy goldfish have become less hardy. When I was a child (about 20 years ago) I had several fancy goldfish in a ten gallon tank with an undergravel filter. They lived several years and grew very large, and never had any problems other than a case of ich here and there. How long ago did your daughter have her fish? I also think that part of the problem may be with the advent of big-box pet stores. No matter how well you take care of your fish, if you start out with ones that were stressed and unhealthy to begin with, you are fighting an uphill battle.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problem with your goldfish and can understand that you feel disheartened. However, I don't believe that it is your fault that your fish have health problems. Many of the goldfish in the LFS are not of high quality because they are just bred for volume sale. By the time they are shipped to us they've been through some pretty rough time and many of the LFS just try to sell them as fast as possible. Though the fish may look beautiful with no outward signs of illness, we don't know what is going on with them internally. I have had fish that look perfectly healthy and for no reason will decline and die. Yet other fish I keep in the same tank thrive! So please take heart and don't give up! I keep both goldfish and tropicals and while I enjoy them both, I have to admit that my favorites are my goldfish.

I can understand how you feel. I have rescue single tails and one rescue fantail. They have lived in a very bad environment for up to 3 years and were all rather skinny. When I had them with me for 2 months one of the comets had some bouts of SBD and started air sucking . I was like 'they survived so much and now I have them she gets ill' :cry1 . You really have to keep in mind that when they have had 'a bad start' in live, it can sometimes be very difficult to get them completely healty again :unsure:

When I first started keeping goldfish I had the same problem. I even shut the tank down and did not have goldfish for about a year. I was doing everytihng the way it was suppose to be done but they still died.

However when I started back I went slowly. No more then two at a time. Yes I still lost a couple more but this time it was much easier.

Now the only fish I keep killng are the telescope eyes so stopped getting them and everyone is doing great no problems in over 6 months. (hope I didn't just jinx it)

I also understand your despair and frustration. Your water params are very near perfect and its obvious that you do everything you can to keep your fish happy and healthy. Then to have things go wrong...it just seems unfair. And fish medications other than salting can truly be very expensive and time consuming. Not to mention that many aren't available at the lfs, so you have to order them online and pay for shipping. Please don't blame yourself. Most of us here have been where you are. And many times you go through the motions and medications just to lose the fish anyway, or have a fish that is always prone to get other diseases. Sadly there really isn't an easy answer. The reason all of us do it, including you, is the personalities of goldies turn them more into pets that we love as opposed to being "just fish".

I also have tropical fish and bettas and they are much much easier to care for than goldfish and although I really like them a lot, I don't LOVE them the way I do Moby and Florence. Also, I'm not sure that a lot of trops are necessarily hardier anymore.

Please try not to give up, but if you just don't feel that you can do it anymore, trops can be easier to maintain, and bettas are truly beautiful fish that also don't take so much maintenance.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes things just happen.

Edited by vickielm