Is My New Friend Not Compatible?

Guest dollface

Guest dollface

I finally got my black moor a new friend... an orange oranda. I have been looking for bubble eyes and have had no luck! But I've noticed my black moor seems to be a bit lonely so I decided to stop being picky. Unfortunately it seems like the small oranda may be a little pest, I almost regret buying him

I didn't realize how large my moor has gotten, so the oranda is half it's size but I figured they could still school together... My black moor swam away from him everytime they bumped into each other. And recently I saw the oranda nipping at my moor's tail! Like repeatedly it would follow the moor, nip it's tail... the moor would swim to the other side of the tank... then the oranda would slyly follow the moor and do it again!

So I put the oranda in the small traveling tank temporarily. I don't know what to do. I got my moor a friend to cheer him up, not stress him out. My moor's tail is now shredded looking. Kind of like it's been cut. The last time it looked like this I assumed it was from the plastic plants so i removed all of the them, and it healed. So I am pretty sure it's from the oranda since all I have in the tank are large gravel rocks and a bubble wall for now.

What do you think? Is it a bad idea to put a oranda with a moor?

orandas are fine with moores ...it may last for a couple of days ..unless it is breeding behaviour :D ..is the Oranda nipping at the moors anal vent ??? and bumping himself into the moor??..also do you have pics ..sometimes ragged fins could be from flukes too

Edited by hi-d

Guest dollface
orandas are fine with moores ...it may last for a couple of days ..unless it is breeding behaviour :D ..is the Oranda nipping at the moors anal vent ??? and bumping himself into the moor??..also do you have pics ..sometimes ragged fins could be from flukes too

Thanks for responding hi-d!

the Oranda nips near the anal vent. But mostly on the Moor's long flowing fins in the back. When i fish put the Oranda in the tank he kept swimming close to the Moor and the Moor would quickly swim away to the other side of the tank. Is it normal for it to only last a couple of days? I'm really afraid to put them together again. I dont' want anyone to get hurt.

I have an oranda and lionhead that hated one another ..it wasn't the normal fin nipping that afish may do once introduced to a tank ..they went to WAR..head bashing ,trying to pic out eachothers eyes ...very unusual behaviour for a goldie ...I tried manytimes to put them together ..and finally they get along after several tries ...I would try distracting them with a few slices of oranges floating about and see how that goes ..don't give up yet ..but watch for serious aggression ...if you need to buy a tank devider that is ok too ..I find that they may get use to eachother being there in the same tank with no contact and after a few weeks take the devider out ..and see if that helps it also helps to check water paremeters when adding a new fish ..that can make them a little on edge to .if things are off.

Edited by hi-d