Added 5 Of The Fry To The Pond

lantern567

I have 17 or 18 fry from what are now the pond fish, that have been growing in an aquarium. Today I put 5 of the largest ones (about 1 1/4 inches) into the pond. They swam away in a school, and disappeared. Will they hide for months? Will they learn to show up at feeding time? Will they become tame like their parents, who were hand-fed in the aquarium?

I am starting to be worried about being overrun with fish! I also saw one fry in the pond that had been born and was living there! If one, how many others? Plus I have the other 12 or 13 in the house.

The pond is 1300 gallons, and we started with five 5-inch fish in it.

Do I have to start thinking about culling fry? This is not something I have been wanting to ask, but I guess I'd better. :(

You dont have to worry yet I think. Fry get eaten. Its the way of nature. Not just by other fish but also predators. No pond seems to escape some culling from predators. If you get overrun, consider taking some to your LFS - you may get some money or credit for them :)

Thanks, Trinket. That's kind of what I was hoping. I can just imagine 100 fry lurking in the plants in the pond. Also, one day last week, there was an awful lot of chasing and bumping going on. Maybe my three tiny green frogs will help out.

Well, I get a bunch of fry in my pond every year. They stay in a shallow planted part when they are very tiny, then they move out into the deep. They always come to eat with the big ones.

They will stay in the pond for the winter, and those who survive will be selled to the LFS.

I have 17 or 18 fry from what are now the pond fish, that have been growing in an aquarium. Today I put 5 of the largest ones (about 1 1/4 inches) into the pond. They swam away in a school, and disappeared. Will they hide for months? Will they learn to show up at feeding time? Will they become tame like their parents, who were hand-fed in the aquarium?

I am starting to be worried about being overrun with fish! I also saw one fry in the pond that had been born and was living there! If one, how many others? Plus I have the other 12 or 13 in the house.

The pond is 1300 gallons, and we started with five 5-inch fish in it.

Do I have to start thinking about culling fry? This is not something I have been wanting to ask, but I guess I'd better. :(

As soon as they learn that they are not ?fish food? they will become braver and try to follow the adults around and will join in with the feeding. With 1300 gallons (assuming you have adequate filter biomass) you are not in trouble yet. My fish have been spawning all spring, and it seems every week I see a few more small fry that were not in the pond last week. As your fry grow they will also partake of the high protein buffet known as spawning, and you may have less and less fry to worry about?.. but eventually?...

If someone does end up in the position that they have simply too many fish, is it better to cull fry as eggs, when you don't have to worry about how to kill them humanely, or once they've hatched, when you can see which ones are stronger and which are weaker? Honestly, my fish are practically fry themselves. They were only an inch long when I purchased them, and are just shy of two inches now, so spawning isn't something I have to worry about. But I'm still curious what you folks would do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...