Sitting Sideways

Guest luli k

Guest luli k
link, sic fish, my fish wont stay upright and it has a lump on its gill, my red cap oranda has always been hiding around the back of the tank untill i moved him into a qt tank, what is wrong with hiom and how can i treat it, also i gave him some melafix and he started moving but it didnt last long

Hi Luli!! Sorry to hear that your fish is not doing well..

Before anyone can figure out what's wrong with your fish, there is a box of questions at the top of the page. Would you please be able to copy & paste those questions, and answer as many of them as you can? If you have a drop test kit that would be the BEST way to get the answers to the first few questions. If not, maybe you could find a way to get to a pet store near you and ask them to test the water.. If they tell you "it's fine" or "it's good" ask them for ACTUAL numbers.

Once we get that information a board moderator or member that's good with disease can help you out. In the meantime I would like to suggest a large water change for your fish. It is important that you make sure the water is the same temperature as the water your fish is in now. As close as you can get it. It is also important that you remember to use a dechlorinator. As large a change as possible is my suggestion. It can do wonders for a sick fish, especially if something that's wrong with the water is causing the sickness.

Good luck!! Welcome to koko's!! Sorry for such a short response but I am literally on my way out the door! There's a good chance someone (maybe Lynda) will check in on you shortly..

Hi luli k and welcome to Koko's! :)

As Sue just said, a large water change will be very helpful for your fish, just be sure its temp matched as not to stress your fish out anymore. Also hon, I would immediately stop using the Melafix, and put carbon in your filter to get out whats in the tank. Without knowing your water params, meds can actually be toxic to fish in poor quality water. Its possible that its just a water issue and Melafix would just make things worse.

Please post back with your answers to the above questions asap so we can help you.