Turning 10 Into A Dwarf Puffer Tank

Woo woo!!! $10 sounds very reasonable to me.

If I were you I'd find the most snail infested tank in the lfs, and buy a plant or two out of there. That's how I (unintentionally) got all the snails in my trop tank.

OOOOHHH a PLANTED TANK HOORAY!!!! sorry..... my goldies make it impossible for me to HAVE a planted tank!!I hope I don't get attached to the snails :blink:

:D ..called tropical fish room and he can have DP's for me in a week or so ..which is good ..it gives me time to really figure out how I'm going to go with this tank ...I figure I will run the cycle on snails because I want to try real plants ..so goldie is being evicted ..then I will plant a rubbermaid to grow my own snails ...hubbie is going to love this :lol1 ...I was origanaaaly going to keep snails in the 10 with dp's but I was told on the puffer forum that a dp will kill most if not all and may not even eat them so you risk ammonia spike for a rotting snail you may not find ..good point ..so I will only put a few in to be sure the cycle keeps going and remove them (besides a few victims) and try to get them to multiply :)

Guest Spanky_

Yeah, get busy with that tank then......

I want to see some photos. I wish you would put sand in it though, it would look so good. Check these out...

IMG_9423.JPG

work-in-progress-10.jpg

171437_f520.jpg

newtank2.jpg

7857_7.jpg

33-gallon-fish-tank-lg.jpg

hmmmmm, saaaaand

:rolleyes:

Guest Spanky_
does it get cloudy ??

Naaaaaa. Just rinse it really well, and then rinse it again, and then again.... Once the water runs clear it will be fine.

..and how do I put it in....how much ??

Once it has been rinsed just dump it in and smooth it out. You will want about an inch and a half if you are planting.

and how much for a 10..

Probably about 5 to 8 kilos, difficult to say. A small/medium bag.

sorry lots of Q's :rolleyes:

No problem, happy to help. I'm no expert though!!

does it get cloudy ??

Naaaaaa. Just rinse it really well, and then rinse it again, and then again.... Once the water runs clear it will be fine.

..and how do I put it in....how much ??

Once it has been rinsed just dump it in and smooth it out. You will want about an inch and a half if you are planting.

and how much for a 10..

Probably about 5 to 8 kilos, difficult to say. A small/medium bag.

sorry lots of Q's :rolleyes:

No problem, happy to help. I'm no expert though!!

maybe not... but you have sand and a puffer & thats good enough for me :) ...you have been a great help!!!.

Edited by hi-d

Guest Spanky_

I must admit i am a little jealous though. I have been waiting on my lfs to get me some dp's for about 3 months now!! So i am kind of going to experience the whole set up process through you!!

:krazy: ...welll went to the lfs ...looks like my 40 is going to have other uses!!!! ...I went to go get a few sanils and some plants and order dwarf puffers...and I came home with a baby MEKONG PUFFER!!!!!!..aka dognose puffer....he was labled mekong and he hunts like a LION!!!!(sorry guppies that they sent me home with :cry )I'm suppose to train him on to frozen stuff .....so instead of a 10g dwarf puffer tank...I have a 40g puffer tank..the only reason I let go of my 40 was that Glen was really into the puffer thing and loved SATAN...yes SATAN he put a hole in his bag on the way home because he thought my hand was lunch and hid in the plants until a poor Guppy swam buy and BANG..Satan had him so I refer him to the demon fish ...did I mention he had red eyes ???..but seem to change colours and so does he when he is hiding on his prey...he is very neat to watch he is Lurking right now .I'm going to post pics in the photo section soon

Guest Spanky_

:Congrats:

You need a LOT of sand for Arrowhead puffers! Oh and lots of plants and cover too. The sand needs to be as deep as the length of the fish's body. They are lurkers and will spend a lot of the time hidden, or buried until they strike! Very very very aggressive fish. Nice. :D

Guest Spanky_

ahhhhhhhh, they are good too though. All puffers rock in my opinion. Except for dog faced puffers, which i just don't like the look of.