Turning 10 Into A Dwarf Puffer Tank

ok I pondered on these guys for a while ..I always look at them in the lfs..thanks spanky :D ....your pics of rambo finalized my plan :rofl .I know it is not a giant puffer..but I like to keep freshwater . I would like to keep 2 if possible I'm not sure if they will eventually turn on eachother or not ..will a 10 be big enough???? I know they like heavly planted tanks and love live food ..is a gravel fine for them?? ..I would like to stay away from sand..what else do I need to know ?..Ialso have a high kh and ph of 8.3 ..is that ok

Edited by hi-d

Did you check out Ink Fish's post about puffers? There seems to be a lot of info there.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=69411

It sounds to me like puffers need to live alone; they can be aggressive even toward one another.

We will anxiously await photos!

Good :D ...I havn't sprang my plans on hubbie yet...but he has been 2 hours late getting back from a friends house and is leaving me with all the chores ..I'll spring it on him whan he gets home ...I know I'm good :yeah: ..he will take this venture with me ,cause he knows he has been bad :SmackBottom: ...They had a tank full of thse guys at big al's and I might also go real planted (maybe)..since they won't destroy the plants ..thanks for the link Kristen I read that a high ph is ok ..like goldies better to be stable I'm hoping to get this started in the next 2 weeks ..so pics will follow !!!...dwarf puffers here I come !!!!..

Guest Spanky_
ok I pondered on these guys for a while ..I always look at them in the lfs..thanks spanky :D ....your pics of rambo finalized my plan :rofl .I know it is not a giant puffer..but I like to keep freshwater . I would like to keep 2 if possible I'm not sure if they will eventually turn on eachother or not ..will a 10 be big enough???? I know they like heavly planted tanks and love live food ..is a gravel fine for them?? ..I would like to stay away from sand..what else do I need to know ?..Ialso have a high kh and ph of 8.3 ..is that ok

Yay!!!! GO for it. You could put 2 together in a 10gal, they are the most peaceful of all puffer fish and they stay small too. They will fin nip other fish though so i would keep it species only if i were you. Gravel is ok. Make sure there is lots of plants in there and lots of broken lines of sight, this will help with their aggression. Your pH is kind of high though, they prefer 6.5 - 7.2

Guest Spanky_

I would check what the pH is at the lfs and when you get them acclimatise them really slowly if there is much of a difference. I always thought that as long as when you get them settled in if the pH was stable and didn't change much fish are pretty adaptable. Now when are you getting them!!!!

I would check what the pH is at the lfs and when you get them acclimatise them really slowly if there is much of a difference. I always thought that as long as when you get them settled in if the pH was stable and didn't change much fish are pretty adaptable. Now when are you getting them!!!!

soon !! :rofl ..my hubbie is still gone ..so he is in BIG trouble ..sooo maybe today????..JK...in the next few weeks or I have a goldie in the 10 keeping it cycled ..but it is bare ,so lots of decorating . yes..I read to slowly adjust them up to my water condtions that they should be ok .. :D

Guest Spanky_

Yeah Prime is fine. I use Prime myself, no shops over here stock it though so i have to buy it mail order!! As for Purigen, that is a product made by Seachem too. It is a filter media I believe. Never used it, I think it is chemical based and works in the same way as Underworld Pollyfilter. I don't think it is necessary at all. Maybe use it after any treatments or whatever but I am sure you don't need to use it to keep water parameters perfect.

I just read up on it....

Purigen? is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigen? controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen?s? impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. Purigen? darunparallelledkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach. Purigen? is designed for both marine and freshwater use. This product is sold by volume. Cited weight is minimal weight.

It looks quite good, I like the fact that it is rechargeable. However, I still think it is unnecessary. Are you going to be running a cannister filter on the DP tank?

Edited by Spanky_

Good :D ...I havn't sprang my plans on hubbie yet...but he has been 2 hours late getting back from a friends house and is leaving me with all the chores ..I'll spring it on him whan he gets home ...I know I'm good :yeah: ..he will take this venture with me ,cause he knows he has been bad :SmackBottom: ...They had a tank full of thse guys at big al's and I might also go real planted (maybe)..since they won't destroy the plants ..thanks for the link Kristen I read that a high ph is ok ..like goldies better to be stable I'm hoping to get this started in the next 2 weeks ..so pics will follow !!!...dwarf puffers here I come !!!!..

:rofl I love it! I'm so excited for you!!! I want to have a puffer/brackish tank too someday, can't wait to see how it goes.

Guest Spanky_

Puffers sure are good. They are equally as good as goldfish personality wise. Mind you, I know which of my tanks i prefer to put my hands in!!!!!! :Dooohhh i'm up to level one now!!!!! 103 posts!!!

thanks Chrissy..he came home and the first thing I said in a happy tone was .

me :.You know what I want to do to the 10????

him : this sounds like this is going to be spiteful

:heart he knows me to well :D ........and I was going to run a hob and put a foam over the intake (the same that I do for fry )

Guest Spanky_
You won't be needing the Purigen then. :)

thanks spanky you have been helpful :D

Oh and don't blame me for the new additions!!! Tell your husband it was nothing to do with me!!!

:lol1

Sounds like he does know you well!

he sure does...but I showed him a couple youtube vids and he thinks they are sooo cool

Oh and don't blame me for the new additions!!! Tell your husband it was nothing to do with me!!!

I showed him Rambo ans said .."see that is a cool fish !! now I need me some DP's!!!!

Hooray !!! I found a store that can get them for me !!!!..so I will get the 10 ready set it up how I want it grab a few snails to keep the cycle going and a snack for later....not for me ..the fish .oooo and maybe some live plants ??? he said he will have them in a week ..10$ is that a good price ?????? ..I really don't care one way since it has taken me since 8 this morning to find someone who can grab them for me ...

Woo woo!!! $10 sounds very reasonable to me.

If I were you I'd find the most snail infested tank in the lfs, and buy a plant or two out of there. That's how I (unintentionally) got all the snails in my trop tank.