Sign in to follow this  
Carolinedoodle

Red Blotch

So, 3/4 gram would be fine. It's hard to O/D prazi, so even 1 gram would not be the end of the world but if you can get it closer it would be best. Find something with a snap-top lid or even a jar; add the powder and mix with some tank water, then shake it vigorously to mix it and begin dissolving. Poor the mixture slowly into the filter outlet. Any particles which are flying round the tank will dissolve after a while.

Sterazin is not very effective for ridding flukes, so I would do several prazi treatments once it arrives.

My jewellers scales arrived off Ebay :) so I've measured out two doses of 3/4 gram of Cedapraz and put them in sealed packets. Going to give him the first one right now.

It's annoying it's taken so long but it took a while to find suitable scales. He does seem fully cured already though so this is just to reassure me it's gone for good :)

Poured it in by the filter now, it hasn't clouded the water which is nice. When should I do the next treatment? Do I do my weekly waterchanges as normal? Thank you all again for helping cure him, and he's very grateful for the aftercare too :D

Good news he's better! Well done Caroline. The prazi can be left 3 days or 4 and then a large w/c and either give him a day off or repeat.

The idea is to disrupt a fluke cycle so since the larval forms are in hiding (and cannot be touched by prazi at that time) its fine to have a day or even a few days off between each session or dose. One dose's effectiveness however wears off in the water and becomes ineffective after 3-4 days so that'll be why you need to repeat several (4 is recommended) times over a month or so.

Now, for all of those out there who wonder what should be put in a blog............... this ended up being, at times, a minute-by-minute accounting of the steps for getting rid of flukes and very much like what a blog would look like.

And, I'll bet Caroline learned so much from all of this. And we here in California whine because we can't get pure potassium permanganate. I don't envy what you guys in England/Europe have to go through with your meds.

Kudos to you Caroline and your determination, patience and love that got Usher through this very rough time! :#1

Ok, I go on holiday on the 26th, so seeing as I did the first dose yesterday, I can do changes and doses every 4 days (14th, 18th, 22nd, 26th) right up until then and the dates work out nicely :) although on the 26th he may have to get a very early morning change! So hopefully that should do the trick. I's good to know I can leave a few days in between though, just in case anything comes up.

Lynda you have no idea how many petshops (nearly 100 if you want to know!) within travelling distance I rang to see if they stocked the original worming tablets containing Prazi! None did, but the Cedapraz pond medication has actually worked out cheaper so it's not too bad. It'd be so much simpler if we just had medications in petshops though.

Thanks for your kind words, I'm really happy he's back to his old self :) As soon as all the medicating is done, he can have his light on again and I will post photos on here! I really miss having his light on but it's at least stopped my rather annoying algae problem, lol!