Sign in to follow this  
Carolinedoodle

Red Blotch

Add the melafix as directed. Its fine with salt and if this should be a dermal issue the melafix will fix it. (If its flukes the melafix wont hurt but wont heal the red)

OK, about to treat with Melafix. One teaspoon per 40 litres, so 4.5 teaspoons for my 180litre tank. Do you have to put it in a cup or anything before adding it or can it go straight into the tank?

I would mix it first in a cup yes and stir it in a bit.

Yeah smells like shampoo.

Yes feed him by all means. He needs his strength kept up.

He's eaten, very manically, darting around. I think it may be flukes, he is shaking himself a lot although I haven't seen him rub against anything yet

Well let's see if the melafix helps. Its very good for surface abrasions and dermatitis type mild bacterial infections. These can also make the fish feel very itchy and uncomfortable. Melafix is soothing for those so he should calm down if thats what this is.

Its good he ate.

Hopefully Pixiefish will be on soon with advice on fluke meds in the UK.

Ok, I really hope it fixes him and I don't have to hunt down a Prazi equivilent. But as soon as Pixie gives me some advice or somewhere to buy anything I will go, really can't find anything on google about places that stock droncit, it all seems to be about mail ordering it. But I'm willing to get trains anywhere in the country today where I could find it. If he pulls through this I am going to stock up on every medication available here, just in case anything suddenly happens in future. Needless to say I have cancelled my trip for now! :(PS I think I will turn his light off as either it's stressing him more or I can just see more of his twitching

Good news, I've found a local-ish shop that sells Droncit so my dad has gone to buy it, apparently it's a worming tablet or drop for cats, but whatever, as long as I can get it to work! I'll be checking here all day so should see any replies asap.

Melafix seems to have helped, he's no longer clamping, darting or bottom sitting, and his dorsal fin is up again, although not permanently. He's even hoovering the bottom of his tank and picking at the plants. But I don't want to get my hopes up just yet.

Well dont add anything else yet.

The melafix will act as a salve, allowing the slime coat to heal up only if its bacterial. So hold tight with that for a day to see. Things sound hopeful and Pixie will be along soon.

He's darting again and his fin is down, seems he was only cheerful for a few mins :( but yeah I won't add anything until tomorrow and until I have instructions on how to do it. I may go back to bed for a few hours, thanks again

Getting the Droncit failed. :( it is only available from chemist section of the pet shop and you have to write down the name of your cat/dog and details etc, and my dad made the mistake of saying it was for fish when they asked (he didn't know it was so strict, and neither did I) so we will have to get them on ebay.

There is also some confusion as I have been told 'Droncit tablets' when Droncit is a liquid you spread on your pet, and Drontal is a tablet to put in their food. Either way I am waiting for instructions before doing anything or bidding on Ebay, don't worry!

These tabs are normally dispensed by vets, so I think you will have to order online - I use this site:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/

Look for wormers. Be sure to get Droncit (pure Prazi) rather than Drontal, which has extra ingredients for nematodes, too, and may not be safe for fish use.

Daryl has confirmed that using these tabs will work - she's done it herself. Her dose is 120mg per 10 gals

[uS, liquid = 37.854 117 84 liters)

The tabs come in different strengths - the last I ordered were 50mg. So you can play around depending on tab strength. It is hard to overdose, so adding one extra tab to bump up the strength would not be a disaster.

I'm sorry I'm so late to reply, but hope this is useful.

Thank you SO much for the reply, I've been on tenterhooks for it since 4am, phew, ok, so I will order Droncit on there if I can't find it elsewhere, my dad is phoning other local petshops to see if anywhere else has it and we can just lie and say it's for a cat, but there seems to be nowhere that stocks it so it's looking likely I'll have to order online.

The first one caroline :)

Ok :)

So, to work out how many I need...

my tank is roughly 50 US gallons

it's 120mg per 10 US gals- so 600mg needed

the tablets are 50mg each, so I need 12 tablets?

... This seems a lot. It's only one tablet per 10 Kg of dog! Is this right? I'd like to order asap you see.

I think you should wait for Pixie to advise here. that seems a lot.

Let me check my Vet manual and get back to you...

I don't want to risk it, as I would have to buy it, and filter, cycle it etc and that can (and has!) taken ages for me in the past, and I'd rather treat him immediately before things get worse. These tablets are so expensive :( but hopefully well worth it.

Droncit and Prazi are exactly the same. Droncit is a generic name for prazi. I have used prazi powder from the vet and dosed at 2mg per liter.

I think you need less than you think.